Criticism for Alex's "School of Gaming" article

BCampbell

Staff Member
Registered
This is about Alex Ely's article [a]http://mygamer.com/index.php?platform=&publisher=&developer=&game=&page=articles&mode=viewarticles&id=101[aa]The School of Gaming[/a] -- if you haven't read it, you should do so, or none of this will make sense.

I think Alex had good intentions with this article. It's hard to turn around these days without hearing about some state legislator trying to ban sales of games to minors or games being blamed for some tragedy involving youth. However, I think the execution of his article was sloppy.

The first half focuses on children, specifically kindergarteners. But instead of doing a little research, he "would venture" to say what the importance of kindergarten is. That's a nice way of saying he guessed. There is a ton of information out there on early childhood and childhood development, and it shouldn't take much time or effort to either find this information or get in touch with someone who knows something about the field and ask a couple of questions.

Unfortunately, Alex's lack of understanding of this topic colors this part of the article. While his suggestions aren't necessarily wrong, they ignore the fact that developing children need to practice gross motor skills as well as the fine motor skills that games would focus on. Sitting a six year old in front of a videogame as part of a curriculum solely for the benefit of fine motor skill is just a bad idea; there are other ways for children to develop fine motor skill simultaneously with other important developmental attributes such as social skills. However, if we were talking about games that fit into a broad curriculum -- like educational games -- we would be getting somewhere. And, in fact, educational video and computer games are fairly popular these days.

On the other hand, the suggestion of tools such as the Eye Toy and, I would add, games like Dance Dance Revolution is an excellent idea, and one that has not been ignored, at least by the media.

In the second part of his article, Alex speculates about possible positive effects of gaming for the elderly. I think this is a good idea, but again I think he should have done more than just think about the subject. There is some research showing benefits of games for various illnesses -- recent work with stroke patients comes to mind -- and including any of this information. What I think is worse is that Alex's article is teetering on the brink of a trap that many people fall into: equating the elderly with children. I can't quite tell if he's limiting his comments to those suffering from senility and Alzheimer's Disease, however, so that gets a pass.

yet, what I would have liked to see, again, is more personal research in the area he's talking about. Nearly ever city in America has a hospital with an elderly ward or a nursing home, any of which Alex could visit to donate his time. A few hours of visiting and interacting with the people he's writing about would most likely have removed his article from mere speculation to knowledgeable insight.

Now, I say these things not to rag on Alex, but because I feel they need to be said. I have no beef with Alex, and everything by him that I've read here has been excellent. In fact, this is exactly why I'm bringing all of this up; as an excellent writing and, I believe, thinker, Alex represents a voice in the gaming community. In the rare instance that I think this voice is going astray, I think it's necessary to point this out for the sake of all of us. With power comes responsibility. So, I credit Alex for wrestling with a couple of unpopular and difficult subjects -- these are things that we as gamers tend to ignore -- but I think he could have put a little more research info this particular article and less guesswork.

I think Alex was well-intentioned but a little research could go a long way. It seems the article approaches that there aren't games already for kindgarteners or younger children when in fact there is.

There is a video game system called v-smile meant for a younger audience. In schools there are not necessarily video game systems like gamecube but certainly leappads (from leap frog..in fact they have a reward system that goes something like if you buy one they donate one to the school of your choice) and ofcourse computer games are numerous that are meant for school-aged children.

The part about the elderly was a little offensive saying they can re-live their "glory" years virtually.

An active mind does help fight alzheimer's. I read recently of a report saying those seniors who do crossword puzzles do a lot better with aging.

I always like facts with the articles i read. If this was an editorial then it should be marked as such.

Lynn

Reply to: Lylabean:
The part about the elderly was a little offensive saying they can re-live their "glory" years virtually.

Yeah, I wasn't really sure what to make of that part of the article. He also suggested that the elderly have short attention spans... this is not true of all elderly people! I think what sparked me to write the above is the fact that this article could have been so much better and really could have said something if it was just a bit more informed.

I am sorry you all found parts of the article offensive. It was not written with such an intent. I am glad for the comments though. At least two people read the article.

I enjoyed the article but I was really kind of thrown off how you mentioned there was a need for children's games when there are already several out there and have been for quite some time. I remember playing The Muppets computer game when I was in the mid single digets, over ten years ago.

I also realize that though you used it just as an example, would you really want your child playing a dodgeball video game or actually getting outside to play it? Or think of yourself as a child. Would you want to sit in front of a TV or would you want to go outside in the sun and play with friends?

On a positive note, it is a certainly a good idea to implement video games as a learning tool, not only in the teaching aspect but economical and (for you smelly hippies) environmental. Gamecube is the most child friendly system out right now. If each kindergarten classroom was to purchase One gamecube and four controllers (under $200 total) then instead of using papers, crayons, markers, glue, and all that other crap that costs more money to replace and does harm to the environment (...hippies...) they could use the GC as a learning tool. Nintendo could even make a good name for themselves by donating systems or money to schools which will eventually be returned to them anyways.

Lastly, I want to point out this:

"Straight-up simulation games like The Sims would create new lives for (the elderly)… though that perhaps sounds a little patronizing."

Was that edited by Stevey or was that edited by Stevey?

I do think the article had some really good points and you do a great, consistent job with your writing. and from what I've read before (past posts) your articles do get read and they stir something in people enough for them to post about it! kudos!

I know when I write something it becomes something very personal for me and I commend you for taking other's opinions in a professional manner.

You always have great topics...can't wait to read what's next.

Lynn

it's true. taking criticism is hard, especially for something like writing. i graduated with my degree in 2D art and that was probably the hardest thing to learn for me. I hope i'm not sounding patronizing, cause you already have that skill it seems. i'm just trying to validate you.

and i enjoyed your article as well. you definitely have a good writing style.

This is the internet...and I'd bet some people outside the crew read it. It was a bit politically incorrect....and that can end up quite bad. Luckily, I doubt it will.

Hey, I'm all for being politcailly incorrect if you have the facts behind you. Again, I think the main reason this article caught me was that I think Alex has a good idea here, and I relaly would have liked to see what he would say after doing some research. I don't necessarily think his is premise is wrong, I just think it could be better supported, and was disaappointed that it wasn't.

I think the issue Alex raises, though, is focused more at the promotional concept of video games than of the actual use of video games themselves. The question is not: do the youngest and oldest play video games. The force of the article is to broaden the popular understanding of video games. To this point, Alex is onto something, because the typical image that dashes through someone's head at the mention of "video games" is probably some pizza-eating kid aged 10-35 about to play Mario or Halo II--not a helpful media tool for little Ruth or Uncle Calvin. Alex's proposal is simply a wishful/prophetic statement like Charlie's comment in FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON by Daniel Keyes: that the television will become the greatest tool for learning. Alex seems to be pointing out how video games can fill the same role. Though Daniel wrote a book, a book doesn't have to be written to pose this idea. And, as many of you have pointed out...some of these ideas with video games are already in the works...especially with little kids. The bigger question raised by Alex's article, however, is whether video games are doomed to the fate of TV, and thus be dominated by the drive and demand for entertainment rather than education/health. This is an important question, for as our capitalistic culture drives us farther and farther into isolation with taller stashes of entertainment gear, we are left to wonder: what are we really using TV and Video Games for...and what is lost by limiting these "genres" or "medias" to entertainment. With television, the decision between entertainment and education is made on a channel basis. But, the history channel and Animal Planet...etc...have plenty of quality ads promoting themselves. Who, though, would really invest in video games for education...and on what platforms? What are their target profiles for marketing? What are their goals? For, I would "guess" that few have approached Playstation, and Xbox with the intent to market an educational game series to rival the hype of EA sports games. A major question I have is: who is interested? I doubt the kids and old folks are going to be buying these games/systems/computers for themselves. If this is the case, then the average "parent" would be the person to market this to if such projects were to expand beyond schools, hospitals and nursing homes. I want to know who would sponsor an educational gaming initiative. It sounds like an increadible idea...games geared specifically toward education and health at all ages. It could make millions, and could be about as fun as any entertainment game. But who would try to be the EA games of the educational bent? A final question is: would broadening the market and expectations of video games be inefficient, fail economically, and force people of all ages into increased isolation from the social spheres of life. We see today how MMORPGS are testing the ability of video games to fulfill a persons needs for social interaction when others cannot come over and physically be there to play video games or talk. These are just my thoughts...

you may be right. unlike television and radio and reading material...which all started out as a means for useful and informative communication vehicles, gaming has started out strictly for gaming.

but that's only partly true. games are actually more of a spinoff from computer's original useage just as comic books are a spinoff from newspapers. i think the educational market is there, but at present it is geared towards children--when it comes to games.

but if you look at the scene from a little farther back, the computer IS an educational tool. it is marketed as such to everyone...including children and seniors. more and more, the age range for computer literate and internet literate people is widening.

i think that in a natural flow, computers and gaming consoles may make themselves more handy to wider audiences, but i don't think it has to be in an EA take-over-the-whole-planet sort of way.