Casual Gamers

ockham

Ironically Sincere
Registered
Dec 10, 2014
I'm probably a bit of a misfit here, because I'm a casual gamer. No, I haven't dumped 300 hours into the latest Fable. I don't rock the latest in gaming hardware. I'd like to buy Skyrim but there's no way I'd drop an entire afternoon on it.

Sometimes I feel kind of weird when I'm around other people who like games, because they like them a lot more than I do. When the latest Pokemon game came out, one person I knew had defeated it by the next morning. I wouldn't be able to do that. I would more likely take a month to do it.

Any other casual gamers here? What's your preferred game? How do you handle being around those hard core pr0-gamers?

I would consider myself a 'casual gamer'. I only play around an hour a day of video games, simply because I don't have enough time on my hands. As for handling "pro-gamers", its never really been a problem. I really only play Team Fortress Two, and am quite good at it. Not enough for comp, but I top the boards of local servers. So, if you are struggling against pro players, change the mindset. Instead of losing, you are learning!

You aren't really all that alone out here. There are plenty of us here whom happen to be casual gamers. I myself like to rock the old school game scene on the Playstation 1 and Playstation 2. As for which game I play casually most, well, I don't really casually just play one game at a time, so it's pretty hard to say.

I never know the correct definition of casual. If it goes by hours your play, I am definitely not casual. But if it goes by how obsessed you are with winning fast and playing first, then I am casual.

I consider myself casual and I don't really pay attention to the level of obsession whether it's mine or others because I also know what it is to be obsessed with some things as I also have some things I obsess over that some other people might just have as a casual hobby. I just accept that I can't be hardcore at everything.

Although, I have spend hundreds of hours in dizzying games like Skryim and Oblivion, I wouldn't say that I am a hardcore gamer - not by a long shot. I think, I don't tick all the boxes in terms of what is required to be considered a hardcore gamer.

For starters, I hate playing online shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefiled, something hadrcore gameers are really proud of. RPG is the only genre that interests me. That's why I don't like to call myself a hardore gamer.

And hardcore pro gamers are humans too. It's not hard to be around them as they won't notice you most of the time. They are too busy popping others in their heads.

Pro Gamers are nothing to be scared of, some of them can be a bit mean or rude or even demanding at times, but you know something about pro gamers, they were once just like everyone else. No matter if they want to admit it or not, there was a time in their gaming they were lost confused and needed to learn something. Pro gamers just means they spent a lot more time than you on a game. There are a few gamers out there who things seem to just naturally come to them, but for the most part all gamers are a noob at some point in their life on every game they play.

I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer, but many of my friends do simply because I spend a lot of time playing games!

I think wanting to 100% the game, or trying to beat other players and climb the ranked ladder system largely constitutes the mindset of a hardcore gamer-you want to be among the best. Wasting a lot of your time on games just for fun isn't hardcore gaming in my opinion.

I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer, but many of my friends do simply because I spend a lot of time playing games!

I think wanting to 100% the game, or trying to beat other players and climb the ranked ladder system largely constitutes the mindset of a hardcore gamer-you want to be among the best. Wasting a lot of your time on games just for fun isn't hardcore gaming in my opinion.

Back in Vanilla WOW, the hardcore guilds would often force their players to relearn professions from 0 to cap every week depending on the boss they were having problems with. Last expansion, they would force their members to run LFR in order to get a minor gear upgrade which would probably be replaced the very same week. Hardcore is just a mindset where time does not matter. If something gives a player a .5% increase in power, than they have to do it.

I'm a little more on the hardcore scale because of the competitiveness that I get on certain games. I've been part of raid teams that were fighting dozens of other teams to get server firsts and get their names on World of Logs, ect. A hardcore is someone who devotes themselves completely to games they play. Players who compete in Starcraft/DOTA tournaments are hardcore. Players who obsess over the math behind games and how to min/max classes, ect are hardcore. Generally these are people who go above and beyond what average players do in a game.

To me a casual gamer is someone who plays things like Candy Crush Saga. Just because a person doesn't drop huge amount of hours in a big title game doesn't exclusively mean that they're 'casual' to me. To me, they're what I consider just gamers. Most people are gamers who play on a moderate scale- they enjoy epics like Skyrim, Bioshock, Mass Effect, ect and take their time finishing the game.

Reactions: ockham
I am a casual gamer definitely. I don't play games for hours on end or regularly even nor do I spend any money on them. Luckily my hubby does so I can pick and choose from his stack.
I do enjoy a select number of games and stick to them stubbornly, if I don't keep myself in check I CAN spend hours at a time playing them so I try to keep an eye on it.
I don't like Candy Crush Saga >_< but I will lose time over Bubble Witch Saga. Don't judge me! And if that was the only game I played I wouldn't consider myself a gamer.
Hmm I don't consider myself a gamer even now really, I always think I would be laughed at if I said that.
Games I really enjoy are just a few: Left 4 Dead games, Fable games, Skyrim, Sims, Minecraft and old Sega games... hardly enough to call myself a gamer.

I suppose you could call me a somewhat serious gamer that's already made the transition to casual gamer.
I find that I've largely outgrown the mindset of spending hours training so that I can go 60-0 in a multiplayer match or craft a full set of daedric armor, or anything similar. The greatest indication of this has been my lack of interest in upgrading my now somewhat outdated gaming rig.

I don't meet a lot of pro gamers, but I do laugh at how they seem unable to separate the person from the in-game character. If you're new to a particular game and aren't yet familiar with the insider conventions that everyone must follow, then you must obviously be beyond hope and intellectually inferior.

Yeah, I'm sort of a casual gamer, but there are those days where I make an entire afternoon or morning, dedicated to playing Dota 2. I just play games whenever I can pretty much. I'm not really that dedicated, like you said, I'm not willing to spend a whole day on Skyrim or Fable or something like that, because it's not worth it.

I live with nongamers so I think that I'm somewhere in between. I'm the only one that seriously plays videogames at home. My sis plays a few times of Final Fantasy, Valkyria Chronicles and Resident Evil 6 , both her and my mom is addicted to Candy Crush (I don't even play FB games anymore) and that's it. I play casual games like Dance Central (don't like Just Dance because it's too silly for me..seriously Let it Go should never be in a dance game) but I also like Left for Dead, Bioshock, Dead Space, Tekken, RE: Revelations, Kingdom Hearts, Persona, Injustice, etc. My sis tells me why I don't have girly cute games aside from some RPGs (she doesn't like scary games and plans to buy a game when she has the chance to...which I doubt because games are expensive). I'm practically obsessed with some game series to the point that I'd find a way to buy a game even if I'm broke. However, I don't consider myself a pro gamer or hardcore because I can't play or don't have the time to play for more than 7 hours (if I'm lucky..minimum is 2 hours) because I'm pretty busy with my day job and other stuff so I can't devote time to master a game and compete online, high speed connection is not always available so I play offline mostly and living with a nongamer family doesn't really encourage 10 hour plus gaming time or overspending on a hobby. I'm a girl too and I still have a normal life outside of gaming but I think I'd still play games until I'm 80 no matter what people say.

Last edited: