Books for gamers

Do you mean fiction? Like, stories?

If so, I really enjoyed "Liberty's Crusade" by Jeff Grubb, the first Starcraft Novelization- it was VERY well written for a book based on a game. The others were, well, not as strong, but that first book is quite good.

The Drizzt D'Urdan (sp.?) novels of R.A. Salvatore (I.Homeland, II.Exile III.Sojourn) were good enough to hold my attention through 3 books, which is unusual, as well.

Other than that, I'm sorry to say that even though I've read a ton of game-based books, set in worlds from Diablo to Warcraft and many others, most are so lackluster that I find I'm forgetting them the moment I finish reading them. Some, like the Diablo novelizations, I couldn't even finish. As a writer myself, one that's trying to get a publisher for my first novel, sometimes I really wonder where the heck they find these writers to do game-based novelizations... Maybe it's because most of the stories have to go through some marketing department before being published or something (shrug)...

I have a deep-seeded distaste for most anything that crosses media. Books based on movies, games, etc. Games based on movies, tv, etc. Movies based on books, games, etc. (although that grouping has many exceptions).

I don't think I'd ever think of picking up a book that was based on a game. Now, it's possible that a book set in the world of a rich game like FF could be good.

Tad Williams wrote a series called Otherland. It's a four-part science fiction series that's really cinematic in scope with a lot of appealing ideas. The story is about a time in the near future where the Internet isn't this ubiquitious thing we surf on our PCs, but is rather a Virtual world experienced either through devices or body modifications (like neural implants). The characters are a hodgepodge of individuals from all over the world who are looking to uncover what's behind a mysterious disease that sends children into a coma. What they find ties into a complex operation being handled by corporations wielding almost medieval powers to create a VR world more realistic and complex then anything technology had ever conceived of until that point.

Yeah, I liked the stories...and I got to meet the author once at the old Borders Books at the World Trade Center mall. It's not precisely about videogames or a specific title, but the picture he paints of gaming and the Internet in this future is pretty fun stuff.

I actually like reading Game informer, it has little mini stories inside it, but nothing like a series about video games, plus at the same time, you get to read about upcoming games and rating and reviews :)

Well, there's this book that the publishing company I used to work for put out called SmartBomb. I was able to read a galley of it before it went to press thanks to a friend of mine who was still working there at the time.

Interesting read, if not altogether that informative, unless you have a real desire to know that much about Cliffy B's insecurities and America's Army marketing strategy.

Anything by Frank Herbet, Robert Heinlein, Jack Vance, Poul Anderson, Robert Silverberg, or James Blish (just to name a few). Steve Perry (NOT the guy from Journey) is also good. Specifically, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is very good for gamers, as is Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.