Big Trouble for SONY and the PS3

Why would I want DVDs to die? They didn't do anything wrong to me. It's just a fact of electronics. And show me the link that said that DVDs as a whole are rising. Not to mention the fact that HD-DVDs are...you know...BRAND BRAND NEW.

spudlyff8fan said:
Frankly....they don't have a choice. Specially since they're just going to stop putting the stuff on DVDs. This isn't really up for debate. DVDs WILL die. How many people do you think thought they'd be able to just stick with their VCR forever and were right?

And yeah, we can all find something to be mad at Capcom about. The lack of a new Street Fighter is particularly annoying.

Yes, DVDs will become a thing of the past, but I don't they will just die off like the dinosaur. It will be a slow change, but as long as the cost is that high it will be a very slow impeachment of DVDs.

Last edited:
It'll be as long a change as 8 tracks being phased out for casettes, or cassettes being phased out for CDs, and now, CDs being phased out for the soon-to-be distribution method of .mp3s. It's not an overnight change, of course.

spudlyff8fan said:
CDs being phased out for the soon-to-be distribution method of .mp3s. It's not an overnight change, of course.

You know I go over tihs a lot in my head on how that will work out. i know it can happen I see ways of it but still I don't see how it can work out. iTunes is a great way but they still don't have the songs I look for. A lot of things are yet to be in the iTunes folder. Free downloading mp3s is not good for the artist. So what about the CD stoers you go to? How will you get a new Album from someone. Take your iPod/ mp3 player to te store and download it. I would not mind. But I enjoy buying CD's. Seeing the artbook. I hope CD's are not phased out.

YOU LIE YOU LIE...................I'm sorry bout that. But answer me this Spud how will this work. How so you see it being sold? I mean how will the music industry take to this. With LimeWire, BareShare just to name a few, let you download an album with out paying a cent. So mp3's taking over sure it could happen. BUT HOW?

I have an iPod, but I've yet to buy anything on iTunes. I like to go out, buy the CD so I feel like I own something, and then copy it onto my iPod.

We have something really luck in Canada though. We are permitted to copy music cds as much as we want. We can't give out the copies, but if I borrow a music CD from a friend, I can legally make a copy for myself and then return the original to him. We pay extra taxes on our blank cds but hey, it's cheaper than buying the cd outright, and the extra taxes get redistributed among the musicians in our country, so no one loses out.

I don't see CDs losing out too soon, just because I can't help but want a solid item to own.

It's not up to me, Luda. As soon as record publishers figure out a way they can skip the costs of CDs, cases, etc, without it being piratable-as-hell, they'll do it in a heartbeat.

O no doubt I feel you on that Spud. But last nite as I lay in a sleepless dream I tried to go over this in my head. I have come to see that CD's will not be phased out. As the Voice said he liked to buy the CD then copy to his iPod. (Sidebar Voice - you can do that anywhere. It's not illegeal to borrow a friend's CD and then copy it. You can not gett arrested for that. But downloading music form like Limewire and such you can) I have yet to buy music from iTunes but I have bought a video or two.

Cd's are use to much for a mediuem for them to be phased out. Vynle records are still around to this day. How long have they be our sice like the 30's or so. They are still used because someont out there still has or need their use. DJ's are who use them. Sure they have the CD stations now but not many DJ's use them.

Companies could back the mp3 but I don't think they will just leave CD's out of it. But who knows this is a harder sale on this than anything.

VCR is dying, and we all know it will eventually. Then we have CDs, which in a number of fields have been replaced by DVDs, and perhaps one day DVDs will replace CDs for music and whatever we use um for when they are cheaper so we can have even higher bit-rates on our purchased music. I don't think DVDs are going to last forever, you just can't really argue it. EVENTUALLY it will be completely obsolete. 50 years down the road I can see the only reason people having a DVD player is to watch old movies on DVD.

Hey Spud guess what just happened. I saw VCR eye's twitch. I think they are gonna wake him up soon...................................yep he's up he aksed if they got rid of the DVD's and other formats of video media. The Doc told him now so VCR went back in.............Me think they will revive him in a few decades or so.

Yeah...unless there is some massive electromagnetic catastrophe that destroys all digital media but leaves analog intact...which isn't really possible, then the VCR is pretty dead.

The VCR is like the ant or roach. They wont DIE everytime you kill one or try to rid yourself of them they find a way to pop back up. HAHAHA I love the VCR just for that. I mean Y do CHS movies still come out if they are dead. I mean Lord of War, Into Blue came out on VHS. And they are also on Blu-Ray/HD-DVD but some how they just keep pumping out the good old VCR tapes. I wonder who are the ones buying them sitll.

my grandparents finally got a DVD player last year, and that was only because my aunt bought them one. It took another month before my dad went over and hooked it up. They just don't care about it. Even now, they don't own a single DVD purchased by themselves.

Just for the record I recently bought a BRAND NEW VCR and a Crap Load od VHS tapes for no reason what so ever. Plus I have the entire DBZ colleciont od VHS the japan version. Actually most of my anime is on VHS subtitled. The american voice overs suck. Like in Akira I bought that DVD remasterd I hated it. Thank god I still have my VHS and VCR...........................:hyper:

PrinceLUDA21 said:
Just for the record I recently bought a BRAND NEW VCR and a Crap Load od VHS tapes for no reason what so ever. Plus I have the entire DBZ colleciont od VHS the japan version. Actually most of my anime is on VHS subtitled. The american voice overs suck. Like in Akira I bought that DVD remasterd I hated it. Thank god I still have my VHS and VCR...........................:hyper:
Yay @ consumerism.