Big Trouble for SONY and the PS3

Oh, no dispute here, I just find it interesting that they are indeed putting a lot of eggs in the PS3 basket, since the article claims this is Sony's first instance of borrowing in 10 years or so, unless the money is going to another product, but I've not heard anything about any other big Sony venture.

Well, they are really pushing the Bravia HDTV big time, and they have Spider-Man 3 coming out next year. They have a few big budget things beyond the PS3 going on. However, it's most likely a way to buoy themselves from the impact of the initial costs of the launch of the PS3.

You are holding a grudge against a corporation for trying to make money Luda? What is the world coming to -_-?

Well, I didn't actually click the link but I got the idea. To be quite honest, when I imagined the whole "Sony Empire" I always imagined the gaming part as a relatively small leg. Maybe I am mistaken. Probably, haha. Only time will tell.

Dude I have nothing against Sony I just don't think they are the best thing since sliced bread. They are not #1 in my book. And if an when the PS3 is not as sucsessful as ppl think it proves my point that nobody is on the top forever.

I don't think Sony would regard it's gaming arm as a small part of itself. Isn't that why, at least in part, Sony is at the point where it is at the moment? It's still an immensly lucrative market, has been for ages, and proably will continue to be until just before the Sun swallows the Earth. And they want to be at the top of it, I'm sure. The feeling I get is that it's not really about who makes the most cash, although that is most assuredly a factor, but it's more like a great big contest to show who's king of the hill. Grab your popcorn, take your seats, for it's going to be settled in a cage match.

I wonder how Japan views this. We're looking at it through American (and America Jr. eyes, Basil) but instead of dollars, how does this pan out in Yen? Playstation is even more king in Japan than they are here, so they may be deluded by their own success. Since Sony is so rooted in Japan, are they possibly thinking that Japan will lead the western world down their path? I'm betting it'll sell more units in Japan than it will anywhere else.

Well I always wanted to read those Jap game mag’s. The ones from the home town. IGN post things that are in the mag’s but don’t know if it’s true or not. What I have read from them is that the Japanese are not to happy with the PS3. They think the price is way to high, and if it’s high here then you can bet in Yen it’s ridiculous. Some of the game makers are pissed off with the PS3. And think Sony made a mistake with going with the to system formats. Basically from what people have said here and I guess anywhere, the PS3 and Sony are getting the same response everywhere. If IGN is telling the truth about what is going on over there then we all have the same issues about the PS3. To think only Sony could pull that off, Nintendo went into E3 as the maybe the most talked about system and was the talk of the show, but Sony came home and is the most talked about ITEM in the world right now.

No one is acting like they are top shit either but saying something like "But I do not forgive Sony", yes in fact hints you have something against them, because apparently they did something and well, you don't 'forgive' them.

I don't get what the difference would be in yen. It'd be more yen, but yen is worth less. I am probably missing something.

I don't even remember saying that. But i did go back to that post. I do have something against Sony. Ever since E3 came an passed AND I HAVE YET TO HERE ABOUT DEVIL MAY CRY 4. They showed it at E3 last year and then nothing. THE BIGEST GAME NEXT TO KILLZONE A MGS AND IN THE SHOW THEY DROPPED BOTH GAMES FORM THE SHOW. Also another thing I wont forgive anyone who gives me something I want and then drop it or don't mention it. Nintendo does it all the time I don't forgive them but I'm ok with it because I have other options ( fanboy). I never liked Sony didn't care for them. If Sony told me the reason for the price I would not say fine it's ok. SCREW THAT, that price is F***ING INSANE. I DON"T GIVE 2 RATS ASSES of what the system can do or how pwerful the system can do. I care less for the extra crap that being packed into the 360, PS3, Wii, DS and PSP. I just wanna play some great games good games. Something that makes me be like damn that was good. Like good sex, thats what want from a company. Sony may have good games and they have a few that I want. BUT $600 is STUPID and we all know this. DEBATE ME IF YOU WANT, PICK A REASON FOR THE PRICE IT"S RETARTED. $1000 for a DVD player is even more retarted......................AHHHHHHHHHHH I'm pissed now.......I'm go play fight night or ninja gaiden to get some shit off my chest..........

How is the lack of DMC4 Sony's fault? It's a Capcom game. Capcom prefers to show their big stuff at the Tokyo Game Show. That's why they also didn't show off Resident Evil 5.

And really, I'm not the only one who was more tempted to buy a PS2 over a Cube because it had a DVD player (holycrapwow!!!!) over my stupid VCR. People will be buying the PS3 because it has a Blueray, which is better than their stupid DVD Player. You can buy a Wii for 200-250 with a HDDVD/Blueray player for 500, or you can buy a PS3 for 600. It isn't a bad deal.

Looking back at that post I see that I was really hostile. But Spud you really don't understand the DMC4 thing do you. To me E3 was a huge let down from Sony. I know many of ppl who bought a PS2 becasue of the DVD player. It was a nice add-on. It was not too mugh but just enough. All the crap thats in the PS3 is WAYYYYYY to much. This could be a good and bad thing. We can look at pro's and Cons of the PS3 and find that some things are just not needed. It's like with a car, GPS is good to have but is it really needed?

But Spud here is my main problem BLU-RAY. What is so special about a BLU-RAY DVD? Don't give me specs either. Really if the HD/Blu DVD look simialr as a Standard DVD on an HD set and I can buy it for $10 for a DVD why the HELL would I pay for $25-$40 DVD an all I get are Menu Fetures, and Select a scene while watchin a movie.

All I know about Blu Ray (which is something I heard years upon years ago) is that...wait I can't even think of it...It's rewritable to some extent...or something...I unno...lol

But still, DMC4 has nothing to do with Sony. Go be mad at Capcom for it. There is ALWAYS something to be mad at Capcom for. And I really do mean always. Capcom Fighting Jam anyone? Although seriously holding something against a collective company (as in a whole group of thousands of individuals) doesn't make that much sense.

All the PS3 really has is the blu ray stuff =\. I don't see that as excessive really. HD too right?

The thing about PS3 with blue ray compared to PS2 with DVDs is DVD was already established come PS2 so people were like "thats convenient" where as blu ray as a new medium that hasn't really started yet...So it might seem 'excessive' but if it turns out blu ray takes off, and they are selling blu ray players for high prices and stuff and it's the big new thing at least we can be like "uhh lol I guess the 600 dollars was worth it *thumbs up* lololololol". But if it doesn't...well...At least I'll have DMC4 and MGS4...*runs away*

Last edited:
My advice to everyone: Do NOT buy either an HD-DVD player or Blu-Ray disc player YET.

You don't want to end up with the "Beta" of a technology, now do you? And we ALL know what happens when Sony supports a format (Mini-disc, umd). Mind you, Blu-ray isn't a pure proprietary format at least.

Right now, if you do not have an HD television, you will see next to no difference between the DVDs you currently own and the HD-DVDs/Blu-ray discs out there.

Oh, and to clarify: the initial prototypes for Blu-ray in development were writeable. They actually came up with the non-writeable version of the disc after the wrtieable version.

ALSO: HD-DVD uses currently existing manufacturing processes to produce their discs. Basically the same processes as a DVD, however blu-ray uses a newer process, which means the companies will have to invest a lot more in the beginning to produce the product.

Don't go making the PS3 a purchase based on the blu-ray capabilities... I certainly hope no one make a psp purchase based on UMD.

There's no specs and nothing special about Bluray, Luda. But DVDs are special because in a few years they're going to be gone. That's why you're gonna need a Bluray or HD DVD.

And Voice, there's only one company who's making Blu Ray disks: Sony. That's why they can undercut the PS3 so much. Every single disk a PS3 game gets printed on is bought from Sony. And therefore, every single game sold, Sony gets two kickbacks from.

It seems like all this puts Sony into the Evil Genius category. Anyway you look at it they're going to make money somehow. I'm not sure who to compare them to, but The Borg leaps to mind. "Your culture will adapt to service us." You know, I think this Console War has gone on for a bit too long; maybe it's time for a more practical solution. Two words: cage match. ESPN could sponsor it and the winner could appear as a hidden character in the next EA Games release.

Well, it'd amuse me anyway.

spudlyff8fan said:
There's no specs and nothing special about Bluray, Luda. But DVDs are special because in a few years they're going to be gone. That's why you're gonna need a Bluray or HD DVD.

I highly doubt that, DVD's will never be gone. HD-DVD, Blu-Ray must become standard. An I mean the general public, your avarage consumer must be willing to shell out the cash for it. If the public does not support the format or is will to get behind it then it does not sell.

And Taku your right I'm taken my anger out on the wrong people. Yes I can be mad a Capcom for a WHLOE lot more ( DMC2). I just feel that out of every war there are always sides. To have an argument you must have the one person who will disagree. THAT IS ME, I will more than likely buy a PS3 but not for the Blu-Ray, or because it's the new hot thing to buy. I'll buy one for the games that I would or can only play on it.

But is it not ment for Blu-Ray format to help cut down the "bootleging" of movies and such. But if the is a re-writeable Blu-Ray Disc, and a machine to write them on. Would that that mean that I myself can get my own copy of a "bootleg" High Def movie?

Frankly....they don't have a choice. Specially since they're just going to stop putting the stuff on DVDs. This isn't really up for debate. DVDs WILL die. How many people do you think thought they'd be able to just stick with their VCR forever and were right?

And yeah, we can all find something to be mad at Capcom about. The lack of a new Street Fighter is particularly annoying.

I still use a VCR. Mainly because I haven't put up the money to get a PVR yet.

And hold on a second, although sony is REALLY pushing the technology, they aren't the only company doing anything blu-ray. Warner is producing blu-ray movies, Samsung is producing blu-ray players, pioneer is shipping blu-ray drives for Computers. It's not a proprietary format OWNED by Sony. They were one of the companies working on the technology for sure.

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association for the people who were involved.

spudlyff8fan said:
Frankly....they don't have a choice. Specially since they're just going to stop putting the stuff on DVDs. This isn't really up for debate. DVDs WILL die. How many people do you think thought they'd be able to just stick with their VCR forever and were right?

And yeah, we can all find something to be mad at Capcom about. The lack of a new Street Fighter is particularly annoying.

I will DEBATE THIS. The VHS is not DEAD YET STILL. I have seen tons upon TONS of movies even the BIG titles come out on VHS STILL TO THIS DAY. There are still movies I can not find on DVD but I can find them on VHS. AND TRUST AIRBORN IS A HARD FIND right along with Classact. And not matter what Sony Samsung or what ever companie says UNLESS THE CONSUMER BACKS IT IT WILL NOT FLY. If anyone thinks dvd's are going to die then they are hardly mistaken. Please do not forget that the Blu-RAY/HD-DVD drives will play the standard DVD. So lets say I myself have one, I will not spend the money on a lame ass movie title just because it looks better (DOOM ANYONE). The first few movies that come out are mostly ass. Now if Spiderman 2 were to come out then thats a different story.

Thnks a lot Spud, why must we fight about this all the time. Face it dvd's wont die YOU WANT THEM TO DIE. How bout you take a survey on the public about the matter. I mean the HD-DVD drives and sale's of the movies are doing very bad, While The DVD market as shown even more growth. I'm not saying it's not a wrong choice to make. I'm saying it wont become standard with in the next few years. DVD's just now became the standard and yet the VCR still lives on. How about we wait untill the VCR is DEAD and Forgotten then we can talk about the DVD.