Best/Worst Video Game Movie Adaptations?

BeachyKeen

Registered
Mar 10, 2015
So over the years there's been various attempts at turning games into movies (some probably more successful than others!) Which have been your favourite, and which upcoming ones are you most looking forward to?

I'm actually kinda looking forward to seeing the Warcraft movie, I think it could potentially either be really great or really terrible.

My least favorite video game movie adaptation was Mortal Kombat: Annihilation . The movie was a huge steaming pile of epic fail. What makes it even worse for me is that my expectations weren't that high to begin with, especially as the original Mortal Kombat movie was pretty horrible but the sequel was somehow 10 times worse. This movie had almost literally no redeeming qualities about it.

What has always impressed me is that arguably the two greatest fighting game series of all time (Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat) made for horrifically bad movie adaptations. As great as those games are, the movies are epically bad.

My least favorite video game movie adaptation was Mortal Kombat: Annihilation . The movie was a huge steaming pile of epic fail. What makes it even worse for me is that my expectations weren't that high to begin with, especially as the original Mortal Kombat movie was pretty horrible but the sequel was somehow 10 times worse. This movie had almost literally no redeeming qualities about it.

Few sequels are as good as they need to be to begin with. I think it's even more true when it comes to movies based on video games. When the first one sucks, it's kind of stunning that they bother making a second one.

My favorites have been Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider. I really liked both movies, despite my reservations. The absolute worst would probably have to be Doom or Super Mario Bros. I shutter at the memories of those two atrocities.

I would be stoked to hear if Watchdogs was to become a movie. That was a fantastic game and would work really, really well on screen (in the right hands, of course).

There have just been too many horrible video game adaptations to list. One of the worst in my opinion would be Dead Or Alive.

One of the better ones would be Prince of Persia.

My favorites have been Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider. I really liked both movies, despite my reservations. The absolute worst would probably have to be Doom or Super Mario Bros. I shutter at the memories of those two atrocities.

I would be stoked to hear if Watchdogs was to become a movie. That was a fantastic game and would work really, really well on screen (in the right hands, of course).

I forgot about Tomb Raider! Yeah, I remember being surprised by how good that movie was (although the sequel was perhaps not quite as good). Also I had no idea there was a Super Mario Bros movie, that sounds....amazingly awful. May need to find somewhere to watch that... :)

Street fighter is my favorite video game movie. I never even really saw it as bad even thug I'm fully aware that JVCD has too thick of an accent to be playing an American soldier. I think the part I like most about it is Raul Julia as Bison. I really like his performances and it's really a shame that his life and career were cut short.

I forgot about Tomb Raider! Yeah, I remember being surprised by how good that movie was (although the sequel was perhaps not quite as good). Also I had no idea there was a Super Mario Bros movie, that sounds....amazingly awful. May need to find somewhere to watch that... :)
Not even the late, great Bob Hoskins could make Super Mario Bros the movie enjoyable for me. I can't believe I actually sat through the entire movie. Here's the trailer to give you an idea of what to expect:

Not even the late, great Bob Hoskins could make Super Mario Bros the movie enjoyable for me. I can't believe I actually sat through the entire movie. Here's the trailer to give you an idea of what to expect:

Wow. Just...wow. I was expecting it to be an animated movie at least. Who ever thought that would be a good idea??

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Hitman yet. Or did nobody except for me saw that film. I actually saw it on cable one night. I didn't last 10 minutes. It was definitely not my cup of tea. At least my mom was entertained.

I would have to go with Silent Hill. I really loved the game so my expectations for the movie were really high. Big let down. Another big let down was Street Fighter. The only one I can think of that was actually decent was Resident Evil. Can't think of no other.

Reactions: TommyVercetti
I would have to go with Silent Hill. I really loved the game so my expectations for the movie were really high. Big let down. Another big let down was Street Fighter. The only one I can think of that was actually decent was Resident Evil. Can't think of no other.
I don't know about the new Resident Evil movies, they seem very forced, and I was also a fan of the whole game series. I suppose I could have forgiven the first and second movies but they just keep churning them out and they've dramatically dropped in quality; well whatever quality the first two had to begin with.

Yeah it sucks when you get really excited for something that you have high hopes for, things so rarely live up to expectations! I prefer it the other way around to be honest, having very low expectations and being pleasantly surprised :)

Wow. Just...wow. I was expecting it to be an animated movie at least. Who ever thought that would be a good idea??
I would actually be very interested in watching an animated Super Mario Bros movie. There were reports at the end of last year that Sony were trying to negotiate with Nintendo to secure the rights to develop an animated movie. I hope this come to fruition.

You know. The Warcraft movie does look pretty exciting actually. I've been a pretty longtime fan of the series myself, playing back on the blizzard launcher in the latter part of the 90's as a kid. So the thought of seeing the movie in less than a year is kind of exciting.

As far as what I think is the best video game movie adaptation? The Mortal Kombat movies will always hold a special place in my heart. Just because if you had to make a movie about the arcade fighting games of the mid 90's, Mortal Kombat would have been a better choice than Street Fighter. Though, I'd say the worst is definitely the Super Mario Brothers movie, although that is secretly a guilty pleasure of mine to watch.

House of the Dead was bad. Not just campy for the sake of campy bad. I mean you wanted to punch the person who sold you the ticket bad. I'm not really sure what the best adaptation would be. I thought the Mega Man fan film was decent for what they were working with.

According to this list, there are a number of video game adaptations currently in the works for release within the next two years including Assassin's Creed, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid. That same list also has Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time as the highest grossing video game adaptation of all time.

According to this list, there are a number of video game adaptations currently in the works for release within the next two years including Assassin's Creed, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid. That same list also has Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time as the highest grossing video game adaptation of all time.
I'm looking forward to Assassins creed. I don't particularly like the game all that much but I do olive the design of it and I'm excited to see what they do with it for the movie. I just hope they don't make everything black.