Baldur's Gate 2

kaizen

Registered
Feb 7, 2015
Any love for the oldschool D&D rpgs? There's quite a few of them out there including Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale, but the usual favorite is Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's_Gate_II_-_Shadows_of_Amn_Coverart.png

For those unfamiliar to these games, they are based on the older Dungeons and Dragons rule sets which would later be re-adapted for more modern RPGs. Part of the fun in Baldur's Gate is how you build your character (and your party) and whether you min/max an overpowered badass or an almost unplayable mess.
359505-bgs2_001.jpg

Anyone else play through these games? I'm planning on playing through Baldur's Gate 2 for the first time later this week (after messing around with BG1 this past summer). Do you guys still find it an enjoyable game to jump into or has it aged too much for you to enjoy?

I don't think BG can ever age badly. The Infinity engine is just so good that the game will always look gorgeous, and D&D 3.5 will probably be the fan favorite, so it won't get old in the ruleset department either, at least not for a few more years. :) It's an absolutely brilliant game. I have never finished it, though, I really need to get on that ASAP!

Definitely one of the best all-time RPGs out there... and really it was an RPG with a ton of personalities and NPCs with relationships and differences.

´go for the eye boo, go for the eyes´

I haven't played it in a long time but I agree that it is timeless. I wouldn't usually be into a fighting oriented game but surprisingly I enjoyed it whenever I played it. I don't think I can pinpoint one specific thing that makes it timeless. I think pretty much everything about it does: graphics, characters, difficulty etc.

OH, YES! I loooove BG2! Did you know they have an 'enhanced edition' so you don't need DOSBOX anymore? :D

The humor is what made it timeless - the funny interactions between your party is what I remember most.
And, of course, the fact that an oak staff can cave a skull from only inches away. ;)

It is a good game if you enjoy, role playing and also the graphics and music were good for the time it came out and remember playing the game. I remember how you could control different people and was enjoyable to play after a hard day or with friends which was a good thing as we would try to think of ways to defeat boss. I think it was a game which would get people attracted to the series and also had a good story and was good game to explore and liked it very much.

It's right up there with the Diablo titles in my opinion. I'll even go as far as saying that Baldur's Gate 2 beats Diablo 3 any day of the week. Maybe it's just the nostalgia kicking in, but looking at Diablo 3 exclusively doesn't exactly give me a very good impression of the game.