Are you a D&D geek?

Have you ever played Dungeons & Dragons?

• Yeah, and I still do

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Yeah, I used to

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No, but I want to

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No, only dorks play D&D

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Final Fantasy Sucks

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

BCampbell

Staff Member
Registered
Now that Dungeons and Dragons Online is coming out, two worlds of geekdom -- D&D geeks and MMORPG geeks -- are finally coming together as never before. Oh sure, there are plenty of games on the market that use the D&D rules, but nothing as all-consuming as an MMORPG.

So, does anyone here have experience with D&D? I have to admit that yes, I used to play it when I was in middle school under the AD&D 2nd edition rules. Then I moved, and I found some freinds who played under a sort of modified basic rules system. We played for a little while then started playing Magic: The Gathering. It went from something that we would play a little bit during breaks in D&D to something that took over our bank accounts entirely. I sold off all of my D&D stuff a while ago, but I still have my Magic cards.

Yeah, I'm a huge dork.

Last edited:
Yep, and I still play. My group uses it as a storytelling device more than as a "game", and in this respect it really shines. It will be interesting to see what DDO offers in this way. The best of the "traditional" PC games (such as Neverwinter Nights) allowed for player creativity using the "module" ability that basically put the development tools into the end-users hands. WHile I suspect that this will not be possible in an MMO, I still have hopes...

I played in late elementary school and early middle school. There were only a few of us, and I couldn't tell you if we played by the rules. These two guys were my neighbors and one of them was several years older than we were. They were new to town, and they played. As I got to know them, I gave it a try. The elder brother was pretty much in charge, so we played by whatever rules he laid down. He was extrememly good at the story telling aspect as Matt mentioned above. He was always in charge of the adventures. The rest of us were too immature in our creative endeavors to be anything but followers. I would still play now if we all lived close to one another and they were interested in it. It is a fun storytelling exercise. In some ways it was more fun than a video game because you had control over things.

I play D&D proudly..

... when my girlfriend isn't looking. Haha. I have played for a long, long time, and still play on and off. I'm currently in a d20Modern game, which is turning out rather nicely. We have some pretty dynamic characters, including a time-traveling space cop girl. Tenchi, anyone?

I sadly am a D&D geek. Though not a super D&D geek. I don't have the books memorized and other weird things that the super ones do. I only have 2-3 books i do believe.

...I suck at the game, to be honest. :p

I play D&D every few weeks with some friends. Occasionally we'll change up and play some other system like Mage or Transhuman Space, but it's really a casual thing. I also bathe regularly and I've never been to GenCon, but I still get the humor in Dork Tower.

congrats dork (whale penis)

question, whats frowned upon, or considered dorkier, D&D players, or magic the gathering players?

Having done a little of both I'd say D&D, but I will say this, both groups need to get laid, *male and female* a little more often. In my experiences though, Magic players have the worst hygiene and take the game way more serious than casual gamers. I once beat a guy that had been playing for years, I had only played for months, and he had the biggest bitch fit I've ever seen.

Your thoughts?

Haven't really played Magic, so I will reply on the only important aspect of the post.

I need to get laid more often.