Anyone work on/develop their own game?

Cmok

Registered
Feb 6, 2015
I guess all of us have at least thought about making games, but has anyone actually tried? Besides knowing a little HTML/CSS I have no programming skills, however I've always wanted to work in the sound creation/production part of making a game. For as long as I remember I've been playing music instruments (school orchestra, solo, band gigs etc..) and if given the chance I'd love to create music for games. Unfortunately that is very unlikely to happen. Anyone here that has a game that they made, or a game that they helped create?

Making music for games was something I always wanted to get into too but the only games I've ever had my music in were games I made myself. So, yes I have developed my own games but most of them were made many years ago on older platforms. I've been trying to get into developing Android apps recently and have made about ten all together. They're all fairly basic though compared to most Android apps available.

Reactions: Cmok
I have done a few games in C++ but they have all been Text adventures and stuff. I am not skilled enough in GUI development to really make my own full fledged game.

If you want to try your hand at it but have like, no programming experience but want to jump in you may be interested in Game Maker Studio https://www.yoyogames.com/studio

The basic version's been free for a while and you should be able to at least make basic platformers with it.

There's also RPG Maker but that's not free.

Unity is free and you can make some really good games with it, from any genre, but you are going to have to learn a lot. There are also a ton of free art assets available for it and others that are very cheap.

If you want to try your hand at it but have like, no programming experience but want to jump in you may be interested in Game Maker Studio https://www.yoyogames.com/studio

The basic version's been free for a while and you should be able to at least make basic platformers with it.

There's also RPG Maker but that's not free.
I have also used Game Maker - or more specifically, the full version of Game Maker 8. It's a really good piece of software and can be great fun to use. It's so easy to make a side-scrolling 2D game with this program. It also has it's own programming language (GML - Game Maker Language) and does have the capability to make 3D games. Doing so is a little more tricky though. The full version also allows you to save your game as an executable file and doesn't put any advertising or branding in there.

We were taught some game developing at university and I found it interesting, though all of it was too basic and I need to learn more to adapt it to modern technology and coding. I'm always too preoccupied with my main trade which is graphic design at the moment but I would like to learn and make games in the future even if they are just simple ones.

We were taught some game developing at university and I found it interesting, though all of it was too basic and I need to learn more to adapt it to modern technology and coding. I'm always too preoccupied with my main trade which is graphic design at the moment but I would like to learn and make games in the future even if they are just simple ones.
Being into graphic design probably would, at the very least, let you get involved in designing games. The one thing that puts me off making games is that I am terrible at designing/drawing my own graphics. Back when I first started learning, graphics weren't such a big deal back then because the technical capabilities of computers back then were nothing like they are now. If I had had someone to do the graphics and animation for me, I probably would have put a lot more effort into it. I do kind of regret that now

Making music for games was something I always wanted to get into too but the only games I've ever had my music in were games I made myself. So, yes I have developed my own games but most of them were made many years ago on older platforms. I've been trying to get into developing Android apps recently and have made about ten all together. They're all fairly basic though compared to most Android apps available.
I think getting into making music for games sounds fun. I mean look at the games music that we were born to love like "Legend of Zelda" which even the old Nintendo system sounded good. Even browsing through Youtube has some great remixes like one of the Map 31 track for Doom 2. Making music for games is just one cool thing to do so if you have music talent then use it for making music for games.

GameMaker Studio is a good place to start. That said the indie game industry is pretty cut-throat and I wouldn't want to risk a stable career to venture into such territory.

Being into graphic design probably would, at the very least, let you get involved in designing games. The one thing that puts me off making games is that I am terrible at designing/drawing my own graphics. Back when I first started learning, graphics weren't such a big deal back then because the technical capabilities of computers back then were nothing like they are now. If I had had someone to do the graphics and animation for me, I probably would have put a lot more effort into it. I do kind of regret that now
I honestly don't think graphics are that hard nowadays especially if you just want to make a simple game. If you want to make pixel type characters and environments, for example, you could achieve it with just putting dots on MSPaint and if you make a mistake there's an undo button. I agree with you that it gets way more difficult as the standards get higher though. I myself am daunted by the thought of having to make a game in 3D.

I used to work on a game last Summer and it was quite good, but my computer broke down and the game was saved on the desktop and I lost it. I was really disappointed, but from that day I didn't have the strength to start a new game.

I used to work on a game last Summer and it was quite good, but my computer broke down and the game was saved on the desktop and I lost it. I was really disappointed, but from that day I didn't have the strength to start a new game.
It can be frustrating when that happens. Especially when you spent hours coding it from scratch. However, we are now in the day of Dropbox, cloud computing and flash drives. You have no excuse for not backing up your work! lol.