Anyone waitting for Warcraft IV?

Alexon

Registered
Feb 7, 2015
I have to say that as a fellow Warcraft III gamer I am very mad at Blizzard, because they don't update warcraft anymore and even though they updated starcraft and diablo by releasing new expansions they still haven't done anything for warcraft. Yes many will argue that Warcraft IV is WoW, but the genres are different. I think RTS junkies need an expansion! What do you think?

Sadly Blizzard have realized that the money lies in microtransaction based multiplayer games like Hearthstone, WoW and Heroes of the Storm. As much as I would like them to make Warcraft IV I don't have much faith in it happening. The recent Blizzcon revealed another multiplayer game (some call it a Team Fortress clone), Overwatch.

I know people who would love it, but I don't see it happening. They're all about the bottom line these days, and it probably wouldn't make them as much as some of their other stuff.

I'm still waiting for the movie, lol.

I fully expect it to happen at some point. WoW isn't going to last forever, Hearthstone is a good way to keep people interested in the franchise but its not really adding anything to it. I think we will see another Warcraft RTS before we see Diablo 4 or Starcraft 3.

I fully expect it to happen at some point. WoW isn't going to last forever, Hearthstone is a good way to keep people interested in the franchise but its not really adding anything to it. I think we will see another Warcraft RTS before we see Diablo 4 or Starcraft 3.

Yup, agreed there. At some point Blizzard will have to continue the Warcraft lore through means other than yet-another-expansion-pack for WoW. In fact if you check out the news here, there's some hint that a Warcraft IV RTS game might be developed at some point as a follow up to the warcraft series. There's a pretty strong player base out there and Blizzard might certainly think of capitalizing on it.

I'm not sure what future there is for the RTS genre though. It looks like Starcaft 2 has already brought the RTS genre to its heights. I'm of course hoping Blizzard will be able to bring back RTS to warcraft, but I'm not too hopeful that they can add anything substantially new to the genre. It'll probably just be an expansion to Warcraft III relabeled as Warcraft IV. Maybe different game engine and tweaks here and there, but I don't see how it will be substantially different.

Reactions: Ardyvee
I'm not sure what future there is for the RTS genre though. It looks like Starcaft 2 has already brought the RTS genre to its heights.

There are a lot of different ways the RTS games can be designed. Starcraft series has for the most part been about macro unit control. Early game each unit is important but as you get more each unit becomes less so. Eventually you get to the point where you are building things in mass and the loss of a few units really doesn't matter.

Warcraft always felt more Micro control, your heroes and their abilities were important and you didn't control as many units. Each unit was more important because you had fewer of them. It was a good idea to micro manage your forces to maximize on their potential.

Plus there are many other RTS games out there that have had success that don't play at all like Starcraft or Warcraft. Games like Company of Heroes and Warhammer which are POC (Point of Conflict) resource based. You got Stronghold series as well. While these games wont replace Starcraft 2 as the premium competitive RTS, they still have active player basis.

I don´t think they are going to do a WC4 RTS. I think their corporate philosophy now is to get a game into every genre possible. Possibly after SC2 has run it´s course, but I doubt they will do a WC RTS until after SC2 is over.

Look at their latest lineups
A Card game
A MOBA
A team fortress game
They even did pokemon inside of WOW.

Before I would look for a new WC, I would look at a genre that Blizzard or Activision is not already in. I think you are much more likely to see a skryim or DragonAge clone then you are to see another RTS.

Also to add, the game they cancelled ´Titan´ was set to be almost a Sims-type game. It definitely had some combat system, but the majority of the gameplay, and where you spent time would be very similar to playing the Sims.