Anyone else get motion sickness from games?

Zyni

Registered
Nov 7, 2014
Some games, or parts of them, can literally give me motion sickness. Has anyone else experienced this? I can't play a game that makes me feel nauseous. I've also had some games just give me a headache. Anyone else?

I've never experienced it, but I've heard it can be common with FPS games, which makes sense. I don't know if there is any way around it, which kinda sucks. Is there a particular type of game that causes this for you, or is it just random? Maybe it helps having a smaller sized TV, or something. Not sure what you could do to help it.

I have never experienced it, either. If you are feeling uncomfortable playing some games, you have better stayed away from playing them and let yourselves relax. Try not to play for an extra-long period of time may also help relieving the symptoms.

I've experienced this before and it's not fun. I guess the reason why this happened to me back then was because I was playing for a long period of time, non-stop. It was not even a hardcore game that I was playing, but yes, I was stuck on it for a couple of hours. I guess that's what you need to avoid.

Actually it's not playing for a long time that causes the issue. Some games or parts of them instantly make me feel sick. There is a quest in WoW that's like the old game Joust, that really does it to me. Also, Spyro on Play Station, for just two quick examples. Oh, and anything that makes it look like the screen is spinning.

I never had this issue. Maybe you're playing too far away from the monitor (or too close), so the weird field of vision on games make you sick.

Have you tried playing games with Oculous Rift? I bet you won't be able to play for 5 minutes before getting sick. hey have said that they are working on it to reduce the motion sickness.

I've experienced slight variations of this but not in extremes. I get a bit dizzy if I'm laying first person view in racing or if I'm on a ship but not so much so that I have to stop playing. I'd just get a bit disoriented then I'll look away for a few seconds and get back with not much problem.

I've never had this issue, but my younger sister has. She just needs to take more rests in between games. You might need to take more breaks, but you mentioned earlier that you don't play for too long. Do you wear glasses? If you need to wear them but don't, you should probably wear them while playing video games. Also, there are disclaimers in games that warn about certain scenes in games that can cause seizures or mild discomfort in players. I don't know if you wear glasses or if you're epileptic, so I'll suggest something more general: try playing farther away from the screen. If you still get sick during certain parts of a game, go to a doctor. It seems silly, but there could possibly be an underlying health issue that you don't know about.

I have never had that issue. I got sick before, but never from a game. If you are experiencing it then you should rest up and not play a game for about a day or so, then your headache might go away. Don't forget to take usual stuff like Advil.

If you get sick from playing FPS type games, the secret is to sit back further from your monitor so your eyes can see stuff in your room. Motion sickness is basically caused because your eyes and your sense of balance are sending mixed signals to your brain. Your eyes are telling your brain that you just made a right turn, but your inner ear is telling your brain you haven´t moved. If you sit further away from the monitor, your eyes are better able to realize that you aren´t really moving.

If you get sick from playing FPS type games, the secret is to sit back further from your monitor so your eyes can see stuff in your room. Motion sickness is basically caused because your eyes and your sense of balance are sending mixed signals to your brain. Your eyes are telling your brain that you just made a right turn, but your inner ear is telling your brain you haven´t moved. If you sit further away from the monitor, your eyes are better able to realize that you aren´t really moving.

Ah, thanks for this. I'll give it a try. It makes sense, since I get carsick if I'm not the one driving, and I feel better in the front seat where I have a more "big picture" type of view.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not epileptic or anything. It's just certain views and it happens every time, long time or short time playing, long rest in between, it doesn't matter. It's just certain things. I'll give Azrile's suggestion a try. Thanks all.

Balance is tied to your inner ear and in some cases there's little to nothing that can be done. In my case there's a huge disconnect between my brain and my inner ear. I've suffered from horrendous motion sickness from video games over the years and it gets worse as I get older. These days it's pretty much spanned to general games instead of being FPS only, but FPS are still the worst. Generally after playing to a certain point I close my eyes and cover my ears for a few minutes before getting up. After that I generally try to look out the window at cars passing by the try and reorient myself.

I do get sickness from playing certain FPS games. This is likely due to a field of view issue, you feel unnatural if your field of view in the game is too narrow. Adjusting your field of view to a comfortable level would likely eliminate this issue.

Normally I get motion sickness when traveling on mountain roads with a zigzag pattern (uphill/downhill). Games? Nah. I watch gameplay before buying a game so I guess I kinda avoided that. I guess if things gets too hazardous on screen (like hell too much Necromorphs/Zombies!) in FPS or TPS (third person shooter) games, I merely pause the game during battles then go to the bathroom or grab a snack. Never had motion sickness. I think it's because you, the player have complete control of the character so you can stop, put down the controller and take a break from time to time. Though my sister gets dizzy after a few chapters (max is 2) in RE6 (bought this game because I'm a Ada-Leon fan so yeah...action games). I don't. Lol. It might be because I'm more used to this (Left for Dead, Bioshock, Dead Space, Revelations). RE6 is the only game she plays with me because it has offline co-op and it's not scary. I also got the upper portion of split screen since I'm always Player One (my sis prefers the second one for some reason).

If I am playing on a small screen and traveling then after some time I will feel nauseous for sure. I don't usually play games when I am on the move usually because I am the one driving now. When I was younger it happened though with the old Gameboy.

Yes, I recently started playing GTA V in First Person Mode, and all the ragdolling and jumping, and everything that makes GTA V fun in third person got me motion sick, and I found that I cannot use it that often. It's a great addition, don't get me wrong here, I just don't feel well when I use it.

I've heard so many people talking about this. Mostly the FOV seems to be the issue, at least for FPS games.
I never had any motion sickness from games however, but I can definitely see how others might experience issues.

Luckily most games today have good options and a FOV slider though. :)

I get a lot of things from games, but motion sickness is not one of them. With all the new HD tech and huge screens today tho I am not surprised that people do. I mean our television technology has moved very very fast the past 8 years and so has gaming and graphics. SO just make sure when you try and play GT6 to take your meds before you get behind the wheel HAHA.

I've never gotten motion sickness from playing video games, but I can see how it is possible. I think that comes with spending a lot of hours playing video games in front of an HD big screen TV of some sort. That's the only way I can really see something like that happening. As technology gets more advanced, I think we need to be more careful. Between or phones, computers, and TVs, we stare at screens of some sort pretty much all the time. That can possible be good for our eyes.