Any other Hardcore PC gamers out there?

gillman

PC Editor
Staff member
Jul 19, 2005
Probably at Work
www.varms.net
Just checking to see if there are any other people out there with a gaming grade PC. If there is jump on here and lets talk about what kind of games you are into.

At the moment I have a huge Company of Heroes addiction, fresh off of coming out of E3 and getting to play some Company of Heroes Online. Also the normal fair of World of Warcraft and some guilty pleasure stuff like the Sims 3.

Times change - now almost everyone calls themselves a gamer, even if they play Farmville for 30 minutes a day. :D To this day I still play BF3 premium, a lil' bit of indie games, like Hotline Miami. Oh, and recently just got hooked on horror type of games, like Five Nights at Freddy's. Reeeeal fun stuff!

yea, I play halo 4 and other games everyday or two. not to sound like a child or anything, but gaming is like the best thing out there! go gamers lol

A friend of mine has built a WICKED computer, do not know how did he get that sort of money... Was always wondering, where do they get that kind of money for a box with stuff in it.. Games are fun and all, but what's too much that's too bad for ya'. My rule of thumb is if you're getting nervous because someone killed you in a game - you need to take a break.

Don't spend a lot of money on a thing that's not your primary source of money. While sure, I understand people that do gameplays on YT and get cash from it, but if you're a regular dude with a regular cash flow, then it'd be smart to settle for a little more low-budget PCs.

I used to play the Call of Duty and Arkham games that came out, but that was a long time ago because a thunderstorm ruined my PC and I had to get rid of it :( Nowadays I play Steam games like Team Fortress 2 or Counter Strike. I can't really afford a high end or half decent gaming PC right now, but I missed being able to play the new stuff that came out. Now I'm just stuck with a okay PC that can't play much but mostly FPS or multiplayer games with low spec graphics. I didn't actually think about making a YT channel to make cash of off people watching gameplay videos for MMOs, all I heard regarding that was people doing that through Twitch TV.

Hardcore PC gamer signing up! I play Advanced Warfare ATM and it is a blast! Seriously guys the game is outstanding. I love the jetpack and the graphics are quite decent.

I got a beast of a PC that I have build my own. Total cost was about 1300 euro's but it was worth every penny!

You can build some killer PCs if you have the money, you can also get a very respectable one for not that much. OS and everything should only set you back as much as a PS4 or XBONE at this point.

Unless you made the mistake of buying a laptop.

But about 100 dollar video card does wonders for a system, most of the time you don't even need dedicated power for that level either.

i never did get that. upgrading a power supply is almost never needed to run even great video cards.

the only reason i can see is to get more of the right power connectors if your psu is out of date.

btw, thoughts on SLI or Crossfire? waste of money or totally worth it?

Cards starting around 200-250 require a port directly from the video card. They are too much drain off the motherboard otherwise. Upgrading power is something you need to do every 5 years sort of regardless if it is a gaming rig. You are putting enough of a strain on that thing you should swap it out before it decides to see what it can take with it (Mostly they just fail, but I have had one catch fire).

SLI/Crossfire is a great idea and totally worth it... when it is supported. It is like asking if dual monitor are great for gaming. Yeah, totally change your life... when the game knows to look for it. Support is way better than it was 10 years ago when it first came out, but you also run into issue that the only time you should really do it are when you are putting two 500+ dollar cards in. At that point almost all games are already running at max on the rig, what isn't should be beaten for dreaming too big.

Have any of you played with the GEFORCE GTX 980/970?

I was thinking of getting a top spec laptop custom build with this bad boy :)

Mmkay, now tell me one thing - do you guys live from your computer? I mean, do you make profit from it? If yes, good! If no, are you insane to spend such money on a computer?!

Well I justify people 100% who are from the IT area, but I what really doesn't get out of my mind is the fact that young teenagers' dream is to build a PC, which can do anything. But the best thing is that they'll still play old games, because the new ones won't be their taste, most likely.

and yet, that is FAR FAR better than some mom buying an alienware or some other overpriced garbage to her son whos an "art" student who uses it for facebook.

its the lesser evil.

Oh, geez, if I told my mom that I want a PC that costs more than her monthly salary, she would start laughing maniacally. :D

Well I justify people 100% who are from the IT area, but I what really doesn't get out of my mind is the fact that young teenagers' dream is to build a PC, which can do anything. But the best thing is that they'll still play old games, because the new ones won't be their taste, most likely.

The best thing you can do is start mid-tier and build up. The best part of Intel and the i3/5/7 chips is that as long as they are in the same series they all can use the same board. You can go cheap when you are first building it and get an i5 or i3 and get a better cpu down the road. The same is true for pretty much every piece. The only thing that you should get a "good one" of is a motherboard, and those are only about 100 dollars for a non-terrible one. Desktop gaming is all about modifying stuff and building up.