Any Castlevania fans out there?

japanesewaterbottle

Registered
May 5, 2015
I'm a fan of all things Castlevania, including the classics, of course. Dracula's Curse was extremely difficult for me, though. Are there any Castlevania fans here?

Hellyeah, I'm a huge fan of the older games; Super Castlevania IV and Symphony of the Night are my faves. Especially the former because of all the gothic outside scenery and incredibly smooth controls. :)

Does Symphony of the Night count as an older game, though? :) Most people I know generally don't count it as a ClassicVania, but rather as a MetroidVania.

Good to see a fellow fan here!

I was a fan of what I think was Castlevania II; whichever one was the 2-D sidescrolling platformer for the Playstation 1. I must admit none of the other games grabbed much of my interest in the Castlevania series with the sole exception of that particular one.

The 2-D sidescrolling platformer for the Playstation 1 was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest was a 2-D sidescrolling platformer for the NES. :)

I think you should try the other games in the series that are available on PSP and the DS. They're similar to SotN. My top recommendations are Dracula X Chronicles (PSP) and Order of Ecclesia (DS). I'm sure you'll like them too!

Yeah, I guess Symphony of the Night is pretty much the beginning of the next era/style of Castlevania games. Amazing stuff though... I love the RPG elements. I mean hey, as long as it's not that horrible Castlevania 64 game :p

Funnily enough, I know some people who actually liked that Castlevania 64 game. I never tried it, though. I didn't have an N64.

Although SotN is part of the next era of Castlevania games, the latest era is the one started by CV: Lords of Shadow. I didn't really like that game, though.

I never really got too much into this series nor paid it much attention until I found SOTN for PS1 which I admit I didn't find out about until way later on when I got to play it on an emulator on my PSP. I was really amazed at how much I've been missing out on and it made me wonder if there were any other versions I'd like just as much as I did this particular one.

I've posted so many times, so many places...

Yes. I adore Castlevania. From the beginning until Symphony of the Night, I was an avid follower. After that, I dropped off playing it admittedly. I don't know why; I just never kept up with it.

Though, Symphony was by far my favorite. Beating it with both Richter and Alucard multiple times, I can say Alucard is more fun, but Richter is HELLAFAST, starting off with a grav-boots attack. And the maps were huge, the inverted castle, the overall theme... it just felt so well done. Mix in the music, and it stays a favorite.

I like the idea of the elusive castle that brings evil and destruction randomly appearing.

I've posted so many times, so many places...

Yes. I adore Castlevania. From the beginning until Symphony of the Night, I was an avid follower. After that, I dropped off playing it admittedly. I don't know why; I just never kept up with it.

Though, Symphony was by far my favorite. Beating it with both Richter and Alucard multiple times, I can say Alucard is more fun, but Richter is HELLAFAST, starting off with a grav-boots attack. And the maps were huge, the inverted castle, the overall theme... it just felt so well done. Mix in the music, and it stays a favorite.

I like the idea of the elusive castle that brings evil and destruction randomly appearing.

You made me want to learn the piano again just now. Symphony of the Night just has the best music, hands down! It's my favorite game of all time.

You should try Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia as well. While it doesn't equal Symphony of the Night, and it certainly has a different feel, it's also an excellent addition to the series.

Symphony of the night was definitely good, but i dont think it was the best in the series. its successors of aria of sorrow and dawn of sorrow were amazing.

order of eccelsia was awful. and tough as shit. Dracula X was good, but a watered down version of Rondo.

thoughts?

Absolutely! Not only do I love the Castlevania franchise in general, but like many of the people in this thread I especially adore Super Castlevania IV on the SNES and Symphony of the Night on the PS1! Both are two of my favourite games of all time, although I'm hesitant to put one above the other as it comes down to which type of game I'm more interested in playing.

Super Castlevania IV is essentially a remake of the original NES game that absolutely perfected it--bringing the graphics, game play, and sound (especially the music) to a whole new level! It is by far my favourite of the more traditional Castlevania games, i.e. the platforming side-scrollers were you play as a whip yielding Belmont descendant.

And, while on the subject of the first few Castlevania games: I don't have the same hate for Castlevania II: Simon's Quest as others. I applauded its early efforts to mix things up by adding a larger over-world with non-linear game play, NPC towns, day-to-night transitions, a seriously bad-ass flame whip, etc. Admittedly, it's seriously flawed in its execution as the NPC's dialogue could provide better clues as to how to proceed, the day-to-night transitions could be less abrupt and interruptive, etc.

Those Castlevania games on the Nintendo 64 though... what happened?! Castlevania in 3D should have been awesome! (My response to the 3D Mega Man game is much the same.)

Symphony of the Night was a much more successful effort in mixing up the traditional Castlevania formula: Playing as Alacard, complete with special moves and vampiric powers, rather than as yet another Belmont descendant armed with a whip! (Though I grant you that the earlier Castlevania III had a diversity of multiple characters to chose from.) Non-linear game-play in a massive over-world stuffed with hidden treasures, in a manner reminiscent of Metroid and Blaster-Master, rather than a series of linear stages! Moreover discovering that there's an entire hidden second half to this game, in a more difficult mirror-image of the castle! Add to all of that the bosses with true gravitas, the music, the graphics, and even the laughably over/under-acting voice-overs: and you have a true classic gem of a game!

I would love to see both further traditional Castlevania games like Super Castlevania IV and more Symphony of the Night games as a side franchise! (There's no reason why both types of games can't continue onward together, just as there's hypothetically no reason as to why Square couldn't release new entities in the traditional and the Tactics versions of their Final Fantasy franchise!)

But enough talk... Have at you! ;)

Symphony of the night was definitely good, but i dont think it was the best in the series. its successors of aria of sorrow and dawn of sorrow were amazing.

order of eccelsia was awful. and tough as shit. Dracula X was good, but a watered down version of Rondo.

thoughts?
I liked Order of Ecclesia, only because it's where I got to play as a female Protagonist in the game and it was pretty cool using Gylphs as weapons. Nothing beats raining green fireballs of death on my enemies though it was a pain getting the rare drops in the game for the side missions.

this is nostalgic, I remember this back on my Nintendo day, the guy with whips and turns into a bat. this is also a pretty challenging game, I used to play this for hours and hours. I don't know if they made a good 3D version of this but it would probably great because even though it is only 2D back in the days it is still fun to play.