AMD or NVIDIA?

Picaleto

Registered
Sep 21, 2015
I've been looking to upgrade my AMD Radeon 6000HD series, and I'm literally the only one of my friends using an AMD graphics card now. What are you guys using, and what do you think I should go for next? Other than a partnership between AMD and Intel, there's little more non-numerical proof I can find to suggest either of them are better. I'm wary of price, so a card the performs mildly better isn't going to be worth the extra money to me.

I tend to choose NVIDIA because they usually run on lower temperature and have better software (like better drivers, stuff like ShadowPlay, etc.) compared to AMD cards. However, I really believe that it depends on individual cards and not the brand. Some AMD cards may be better for a certain factor than an NVIDIA card and vice versa.

Tbh The only strong point that AMD's cards have against Nvidia's is the prices. They have very decent cards for the mid-range price level. I remember back in 2011 when I bought my HD7750, I didn't go with an Nvidia because I couldn't afford them. The only one I could afford was the 8800GT but it was already old by that time so I had to pick AMD, and I'm glad they were there to cover me.

As competing brands, I prefer Nvidia simply because they're always ahead of AMD when it comes to performance cards, but then again I really want to support AMD even without using their cards simply because the competition is a good thing for us consumers. My current PC has an Nvidia GTX 970, but my old PC (which I gave to my young siblings) is still in very good condition with that 7750. It's a really powerful card considering its price and size, not to mention low power consumption (that PC runs on a 400W supply). Things are looking quite grim for AMD though. Apparently Google may start manufacturing CPUs as well, guess they'll replace AMD in that market?

AMD is a better company and their price/performance is better. That being said my next video card most likely will be Nvidia. AMD has been in the red (working with losses) for quite some time and sadly it's quite possible they'll go bankrupt in a couple of years. If you ever consider moving to Linux (because Linux gaming is developing quite nicely and it only will get better with Vulkan API), then you should know that AMD has horrible Linux driver support. Some of my friends are able to play Steam games in Linux with Nvidia cards with minimal FPS losses, while AMD runs at 1/3 of Windows FPS in Linux.

Of course Nvidia is not without a fault either (for example the recent Nvidia Experience fiasco), but they are smarter when it comes to business.

I go for AMD all day, simply because I can't support Nvidia's business practises. Practises such as the 3.5gb GTX 970, which they lied about, or the GTX 660 TI. It's stuff like that which moves me over to Team Red for my GPUs. Nvidia makes good cards, but as a company I simply despise them.

I've got an AMD. Never had any performance issues with it. It is especially nice since I play Counter Strike and high fps is extremely important and my AMD runs flawlessly. I've had NVIDIA before, but wasn't particularly impressed by with it compared to my new AMD. My old NVIDIA repeatedly had temperature issues, but even though my AMD is overclocked it stays cool.

AMD is better for gaming for me. My laptops are on NVIDIA and though they perform quite nicely for just regular stuff, gaming looks a lot better on AMD.

It's a NVIDIA for me. I'm using Nvidia for more than 5 years and I don't have any complain about it, it's like every cent that you spent is really worth it. But to be fair I never tried AMD so I can't have my own review about it that's why I'm making the safe choice.

For graphics cards, I say NVIDIA. AMD has this track record with video cards running hot over their NVIDIA counterparts. NVIDIA also has more support when it comes to games. They are more optimized than the AMD side.

That being said, for the CPU though, I went AMD over Intel. Ryzen just sold it for me.

I have chosen NVIDIA for my PC, it just seems that my games work and look better on NVIDIA.

For GPU go for a NVIDIA. Nvidia GPUs are more powerful than an amd gpu. Some games like AAA mostly can run in nvidia but in amd yes It can run, but the fps was too low. So i preferably chose NVIDIA. And also their software was always updating, new features added etc.
Amd cards now is crap on AAA games.

All my life I've been using NVIDIA and have been an avid fan. ATI video cards and AMD have always had a bad reputation with overheating and people have made countless jokes about them, of course that's not completely true, because they also have great cards, but there is a reason for the jokes. I've never had any complaints with NVIDIA.

It's just unfair for the AMD side. Most games are optimized for NVIDIA but almost no games are optimized for AMD. I think it's because NVIDIA has monopolized the gaming industry and AMD hasn't got any room there anymore. I've been an AMD fan since they released Ryzen. It turned me to AMD. I hope they start making good graphics cards soon.