Alienware m5700 Review is UP!!

You should have seen the system they WANTED to send me- it was over $5 grand. As it was, I told them to configure somethin UNDER $2,000 and they still ended up sending me one that was more than that. Next time though, we'll go even more "high rent", and will even look into a head-to-head showdown-type of thing, with manufacturers like Dell, VooDoo PC, etc.

Keep checking back to see what we have next, and as soon as we have things firmed up I'll post a notice here!

Last edited:
I bet. So, does working for MyGamer get you the hook up to review products or are you on some other secret list?

Hate to destroy your fantasy, but I’m sorry to say that there's no such thing as a "list"- it's all hard work making contacts and then working to get a fair review out. For the Alienware piece, I think I must have invested over 100 hours of my time, of which only about 70% was playing- the rest was sending emails back and forth to their tech guys, talking with hardware and software engineers, marketing people, etc. This went on over nearly two months.

Bottom line is that doing reviews for hardware and software IS a hell of a lot of fun, and there are perks, but people in the industry all KNOW that it's fun, so they wait to give you free things for review until you prove that you can also put in the sweat-equity and work it takes to put out a good review. If you think that's something you want to do, I highly encourage you to send in a sample review, along with a cover letter to: hr@mygamer.com and to also post in forums- we're always looking for writing talent that can play hard, write hard and accept criticism, and the rewards are really great (a press pass to E3, free stuff on occasion and, perhaps most important for anyone wanting to ever work in a professional capacity in the gaming industry, CONTACTS with developers, producers, publishers and PR folks.

Email me if you want to know more...

The "secret list" was mainly cheek but thanks for the insight. So far I am really enjoying the time I have spent discovering this site and everything it has to offer.

Honestly Brad, if I had the chump change I would forgo the stress of building (I have no time for it) and just get a beefy Alienware.

ImagoX said:
... the rewards are really great (a press pass to E3, free stuff on occasion and, perhaps most important for anyone wanting to ever work in a professional capacity in the gaming industry, CONTACTS with developers, producers, publishers and PR folks.

Of course, for those who do it well, there is the whole getting-paid-to-write thing.

Most (but not all) great writers do it for a living and have to pay for their addictions to food, clothing and housing. For some people, writing is their livlihood.

Be very wary of reviews where the writer only gets product and what it might be doing to the paid writers of the world, overal quality of the writing and reputation of video game coverage in general.