Adventure games

Strykstar

Registered
Dec 3, 2014
What are your thoughts on adventure games?
Lately TellTale has revived the genre with Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, Borderlands and Game of Thrones, but while these games are great, I feel they borrow too much from each other and they seem to lack the magic of older titles like Grim Fandango and Secret of Monkey Island.

I feel like there's only so much you can do before games start following a similar pattern. The mechanics that new games introduce aren't really that different from others, but that's what makes them inclusive of more people in the gaming community. However, the story is what makes it interesting, and if they can combine a good story with decent mechanics, I'll still buy it.

I have to say that this is true. It does get a bit on the repetitive side when playing games don't keep you hooked with the story, at the least. If I like the story and the graphic draw me in, it's going to make me stick around. I think it's all a certain formula that's followed; to make someone fall in love with a game of a certain genre.

I'm not really into any of the adventure games that you've mentioned but I do enjoy some Uncharted every now and then. I also like adventure games like Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto (that's adventure,right?) because there is just so much to do. I haven't played anything adventure/platformer like in a while, maybe I'll get back into some.

Lately TellTale has revived the genre with Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, Borderlands and Game of Thrones, but while these games are great, I feel they borrow too much from each other and they seem to lack the magic of older titles like Grim Fandango and Secret of Monkey Island.
I was a big fan of both Grim Fandango and Secret of Monkey Island. Both are among two of my all time favorite PC games.

In recent years, one of my favorite adventure games is The Last of Us. I put some serious hours into this game and personally think this is one of the best Playstatn exclusives and would definitely recommend this game to fans of both adventure and motor games.

Well if you include the Secret of Monkey Island in the list of adventure games, which is a point-and-click adventure game,then the junior adventure games from Humongous are then counted as adventure too. Those games, like spy fox , pajama sam, and so on, where not that incredible, though it indeed has some kind of 'magic' attached to it, making it a great game. I often play a bit through them now and then (and with SCUMMVM I can do that with my USB SNES controller!) because they preserve such great memories from my childhood, while except for one game (MangaFighter/Qpang which doesn't exist anymore), I'm sure all the games I play now are way less memorable.