Adult opinions on minecraft?

mrgrn

Registered
Sep 20, 2015
I am 25 years old, and I love minecraft. However, I'm sometimes embarrassed to say so, because so many children are so into it, and people tend to respond by asking things like "isn't that a game for kids?"

I play by myself rather than on servers. I play as an explorer- I put the game on peaceful mode and just wander around like a nomad. Minecraft environments are so beautiful, and I like just walking around admiring the sites. I will occasionally also do the RPG thing on survival mode. I feel this is different from the BUILD COOL THINGS AND BLOW STUFF UP approach many kids seem to take, haha.

Fellow grown-ups, do you enjoy playing Minecraft

I don't think Minecraft or video games in general can only be enjoyed by minors. It is a common misconception among non-gamers and some casual gamers that video games are a childish hobby. However, there are gamers who live to the ripe age of 40 and even older gentlemen that take the time to enjoy a video game or even a DnD campaign. There is nothing childish about playing some games.

I am 29 and I still love MineCraft. I love it more for the exploring aspect as well, but I usually end up building some big bad ass house. I do sometimes play single player, but mostly I play with my room mate and fiance on LAN. It's much more fun for me to play with other people.

Also, as boring as this might sound, I actually really like the mining part of it. I love building underground caverns and turning them into little mining outposts. I also like searching for diamonds. lol

I'm not one to say who should play what. The beauty of gaming is that there is such a variety, and being a gamer myself, the more people that play games, the better the industry will be.

The thing with Minecraft is that it is very accessible; pretty much anyone can play it because the controls are simple, it doesn't have over-the-top violence, there's no sexual content and the whole point of the game is fairly easy to grasp (just build stuff!). This will obviously attract a younger crowd or the more casual gamer, but it'll also attract the more hardcore gamer because you can get into more complex things with it.

Would I ever go to a Minecraft convention? Judging by the videos I've seen, probably not as it seems to be 90% kids with their parents so it doesn't seem to be aimed at my demographic (under my Marshmallow exterior, I'm a male over 30). Would I think less of someone who plays Minecraft? Absolutely not. If you enjoy it, play it! :)

I have been a hardcore Minecraft player since I found it back in 2011. It is a very simple game, create awesome things or go on an adventure, but it does one thing better than the other games I have played in the last 10 years. It creates hundreds experience that you can remember and cherish; whether it be when you and your buddies banded together to slay the Ender Dragon or when you sabotage your friends house to explode when he comes back from his mining expedition. So to answer your question, yes I have greatly enjoyed my time with Minecraft :)

Reactions: Stay Puft
To be honest I really don't know what to say about Minecraft, all I can say it that kids love it, including my kids and all their friends. I've taken the occasional peek and it's an interesting game, but not really my thing.

I'm a 21 years old computer science major, so I actually really enjoy going on Minecraft just to play around with redstone to see what kind of contraptions I can create. There are also plenty of mods that increase the number of things you can do with redstone. I end up spending 45 minutes brainstorming before I even touch the game.

Reactions: misskrystal1982
When you've had a hard day at work and want to come home and unwind, theres sometimes nothing better than coming home and chilling out in your single-player World, free from the stresses and strains of real-life. If I want a more adult minecraft-style gaming experience I'll play seven days to die but minecraft is a much brighter and more relaxing experience. I'm 44 by the way and don't have the slightest problem with telling my work colleagues that I spent the evening building a new wing to my castle on minecraft.

This just proves how well made the game is because it's entertaining both for kids and for adults, they grabbed both markets!

It's baffling that in this day and age that people still carry this ridiculous stigma that games are only for children. Games are for all ages and genders. I'm an old fart and I play video games all the time, Minecraft included. Hell I grew up on them and they've always been a big part of my life. I mean if you think of it the people who make and develop said games are in their teens all the way up to their 50's and 60's. Just because the graphics look cartoonish doesn't always mean that it's childish. I mean look at shows like Simpsons, ect- it's funny that way back then most people were of the same mentality that cartoons were reserved for children.

I think it is interesting in what you can do many things like in the survival mode, you have to be prepared in the day as in the night, you have to fight enemies and if in a dark area they will attack you in a gang if they are together. I think it is a fun game and can have a good time with friends and also try different things in the process and have enjoyed playing this game. It is a game which you can enjoy in your break and also like this game as you are free to do what you want and think more people, should play this game and may try new things and do more exciting things.

There are many possibilities in the game that is why it's so popular and everyone loves to play it.

I don't play a bunch. Not because I don't want to, but honestly, I get busy. On that note, I do like to play Minecraft on occasion and I am 33. My kids got me started on the Xbox, but now that I have seen how much cooler the computer version is, I plan on trying it there too. I am just now starting to learn the basics of redstone. I am not even close to a pro, but still find it fun.

I don't think Minecraft or video games in general can only be enjoyed by minors. It is a common misconception among non-gamers and some casual gamers that video games are a childish hobby. However, there are gamers who live to the ripe age of 40 and even older gentlemen that take the time to enjoy a video game or even a DnD campaign. There is nothing childish about playing some games.
Yea! Video games are not only for kids, adults can get just as much if not more enjoyment out of video games. Minecraft is a great game, adults can easily enjoy it!

I have to admit I've never been a fan of minecraft, but that's not to say it isn't a good game, it clearly is with the amount of sales it's made, but I have three nephews that all play it, in fact it's the only game they want to play when they come round so when they go I'm more than happy to leave it back on the shelf until next time they come!

I enjoyed it quite a bit when I was young. But I just can't get into it these days. It's only fun for a little while, then I quickly get bored with it. Now that I really think about it, I can't believe it was ever so popular. It's more of a game that's good just to pass the time.

I played Minecraft for a stretch and I'm over thirty. I knew it was something a lot of younger kids were into but that's alright, I don't think there's anything about it that someone grown shouldn't enjoy too. It's all about building and walking around and just generally messing around experimenting with whatever you want—that's all something adults can engage with too and maybe even benefit from. Not like it should really matter in the end who else is associated with anything you want to get into but sometimes it is helpful to see others who share some demographic traits with you also find something valuable in that thing. Dan Harmon is obsessed with it and also managed to write and shepherd a quality show, Community and is involved with Rick and Morty and generally holds down a job like any adult is expected to. Him being into Minecraft doesn't equal him not being able to carry out responsibilities or meet his goals. I mean, I'm sure it does get in the way a little but that's about time management and a big number of adults have problems with that without ever bringing video games into the mix, sticking squarely to societally sanctioned "adult" things only so, whatever, labels, I just try to explore whatever draws me and in the process understand why I'm into it, what I get out of it and if it falls within my values and doesn't impede me from whatever priorities I have at the time, it's all good.

Minecraft is by far one of most innovative games to come out on PC for a long time, and huge Kudos to Notch for creating this awesome game. I think it has nothing to do with you being an adult or not. It is a game for all ages and a creative tool for you to create and build whatever you want.