Achievements and trophies?

JessiFox

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
How do you all feel about achievements and trophies in games? Do they matter to you one way or the other in a game? I like the extra little incentive some of the time, but other times I find myself more interested in the achievements than the overall game itself, which I'm not necessarily a fan of. Thoughts?

I don't really have a sense of accomplishment when a trophy pops up, but at least I can visually see that I had reached a significant point in the game. It's not a necessity, but I'm sure there are gamers out that will look at that aspect deeper then I would. To each his own.

If I really like the game I'm playing, then achievements matter a lot to me. Especially if they are not those stupid achievements that you get for completing a mission, or something like that. I like those weird achievements for random stuff that you have to do, like killing five people with a banana (example). If I like a game too much, I will get every achievement that there is, like Skyrim, for example. 75 out of 75 achievements, it's something that I am proud of. They do give me a sense of accomplishment, but it depends on a game.

They have their own unique flavor in my opinion. To me, they're not necessarily essential but since they're there, they give that extra incentive to keep playing a game. Even longer after you're done with the game for that matter. Some might feel they matter a lot more, some others even less. I personally like them for what they are, and when I have the time to spare, unlocking them doesn't make the game I've already beaten feel like a chore.

It's like a new challenge despite knowing everything about the game already. That's how I tend to see them, and it works for me.

They have their own unique flavor in my opinion. To me, they're not necessarily essential but since they're there, they give that extra incentive to keep playing a game. Even longer after you're done with the game for that matter. Some might feel they matter a lot more, some others even less. I personally like them for what they are, and when I have the time to spare, unlocking them doesn't make the game I've already beaten feel like a chore.

It's like a new challenge despite knowing everything about the game already. That's how I tend to see them, and it works for me.

Funny thing is, some times, if I want to get all the achievements from a game, or the majority of them unlocked, it sometimes does feel like a chore for me. I don't know why, but it does. No matter how much I like the game, sometimes it feels like a chore, or at least some achievements do. Depends how hard they are to get. Sometimes I like a challenge, but sometimes I can't stand it. This usually makes me give up, and not touch the game anymore, and eventually dislike it because I can't get all the achievements.

Funny thing is, some times, if I want to get all the achievements from a game, or the majority of them unlocked, it sometimes does feel like a chore for me. I don't know why, but it does. No matter how much I like the game, sometimes it feels like a chore, or at least some achievements do. Depends how hard they are to get. Sometimes I like a challenge, but sometimes I can't stand it. This usually makes me give up, and not touch the game anymore, and eventually dislike it because I can't get all the achievements.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. It really does boil down to how difficult they are. Some achievements tend to be overkill so I can see why.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. It really does boil down to how difficult they are. Some achievements tend to be overkill so I can see why.

I like weird and crazy achievements, I don't like those generic ones like "kill 5000 enemies", when you kill only 500 in one play-through of the game. That would require me to play the game through ten times just to get a single achievement. That is really an overkill, no thank you, I'd much rather spend my time on a different game, or spend it on that game but not for the sole purpose of getting the hardest achievement, but for enjoying it. Usually, when I finally get an achievement I'm working so hard for, I start getting really bored of the game, uninstalling it, and never thinking about playing it again. Nothing to do here.

I'm pretty competitive, so when I see an achievement I'd like to get it unlocked if I feel I have the abilities to do so. I don't pay them much heed the first time I play through it though, I prefer finding them naturally until I "beat" the game and then I'll go back and see if there's a fun challenge to try.

I do have all the achievements unlocked for Plants vs Zombies though, that certainly was a chore...

It's according to the game that I'm playing. Being able to finish the game, and then go back, just to get a trophy or achievement, makes me spend more time with some games. I've also found that some games which I didn't care much for, I'd go back just to unlock some stuff.

99% of the time, I don't care for them. I hate how some games just give you a trophy just for doing something you're supposed to do like completing a certain level. I'd prefer it if there were less trophies, but there were super challenging. Then they would actually mean something when you got them.

I used to play this game on PS2 called Culdcept. Not a well known game, but it actually did have in-game trophies. I think there were a couple hundred, but they were actually challenging and you had to go out of your way to complete them, which I liked.

Achievements and trophies really does play a big role in gaming, at least for me. I always get motivated to get those and it gets me to do better on the game. I know that a lot of people don't care much about them, but I'm one of those few who do!

I only like challenging achievements, such as for raiding or rated PvP. Any achievement that requires luck, depends on others, or ridiculous RNG, doesn't interest me. If it's tough to get, that's cool. If it's impossible to get without luck or other people playing perfectly, meh.

I think of them as bragging rights. On Xbox, I can compare games and achievements, and then say that I have done this, and here's the proof. While you also get mission based achievements that can't really be missed, I regard those as less important, and I see the skill based achievements as the real goal. So while achievements are still kind of pointless, they offer some fun competition and goals.

I do not have much interest about achievements and trophies in game. I believe the game content is much more important. It is nice to have them but I can play without them. They are just additional accessories which add extra fun.

Some trophies interest me but only a very few of them and it never gets in the way of my overall impression of the game itself. I still just prefer going through the game as though there were no small achievements along the way because it doesn't matter that much to me, but for the extra ones that need accomplishing after I've already finished, I think is a nice touch.

For the record I think a lot of people enjoy achievements and that it's actually an important part of gaming nowadays, just look at all the achievements getting adopted in games, hell, look at this forum - it has achievements! :p We like it when things pop up and tell us we've accomplished something, the endorphin rush is the reason WoW is so popular despite it being like a second job.

Achievements are okay to me. I wouldn't go out of my way to get them. Maybe if I am really close to accomplishing it I will put in the extra effort to get it. I don't see why those hardcore gamers get like 35000+ gamerscore, do they even have a life. I do like the cumulative achievements because they make me think, did I really do that. An example would be 'drive every car in the game' or ' earned a total of $5 million in the game'.

I think it's fun to have goals to aim for. I've gotten gold/diamond guns in CoD by aiming for those little achievements, it gives a game new life if you go back through for things like that. But I never really start out aiming for them. I'll often play the game as normal, without focusing on anything else, then go back and see what I can collect for fun.

Reactions: Zyni
Following achievements can be fun from time to time for me, I don't get most of mine intentionally. I think they're pretty useful in helping you get better at gaming since you can set a goal for yourself and watch yourself reach that goal. I don't really chase after achievements though but I seeing them pop up tends to satisfy.

I am on the fence about them. On one hand, they can be a badge of honor. They can show another player you know what your doing.

On the other hand, they shouldn't give out an achievement for every little thing. Ooh boy, you made it to level 10, 20, 50, what ever.

So overall I am for them, they just need to change so players can wear all of their achievements as a "I am not a screaming noob" badge.