A more proper place to debate Halo 2

SaintBastard

Registered
Jun 23, 2005
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
I recieved this interesting e-mail the other day ( I apologize to the sender for not replying earlier, new job and all):

[b[An email was send from Femi Fatusin <fatusin4355@netzero.net> via http://www.mygamer.com

To Ken,
Its obvious that you hate the Halo franchise, so i\'ll get straight to the point. What were you expecting from Halo 2 in order to consider it a good game?[/b]

Okay, I figured instead of debating this over various e-mails and start a possible flamewar that nobody but I and this person would see, I would open up it to everyone.

To debate your first point: I didn't think my hatred was that obvious :) But seriously, I don't hate the Halo franchise, I actually enjoyed the first Halo and most of the second Halo. My issues with the game go deeper than hatred actually. And to be completely honest I hate hype of any type, especially when said game/athlete/movie/sexual partner doesn't live up to the hype. The way reviewers' in general drooled over the game I thought the second coming of Christ was nigh. But alas, it was naught to be. I'm pretty sure that I made my point of why I didn't like the game in my rant (as seen on this very website!!).
What would have made a better Halo 2? Good question. How about a storyline first off? The story sucked eggs. Anyone who says otherwise needs to stop sniffing whatever glue or cow chips they're sniffin' and come up for some fresh air, cause your brain has been F.U.B.A.R.'d. Lacking a story, how about a decent two-player interface? Am I the only person who noticed frame-rate holes during co-op? Not exactly the second coming in my opinion. How about NOT forcing me to play as the Arbiter through half the f**kin game? I CANNOT be the only person annoyed by this "twist" in the "storyline." Why is it that I have to be the "bad guy" to understand the "bad guy?" I get enough of that in the Grand Theft Auto games, I don't want it in my FPS. As for multi-player, how about getting rid of melee attacks? When your "radar" only works when someone is so close to you, melee attacks sort of suck. Maybe it's because I suck at the game or I'm a horrible person and God decided that I will be attacked by every stupid motherf***er with a plasma sword, but it gets real old, real fast. Also, I thought Bungie "balanced" the weapons. Don't seem balanced to me. Again that could because I suck, but it seems that when I am attacked by a person wielding guns (it's an amazing concept, I know) it's the same combo, over and over again. Sub-mach gun and plasma rifle or dual-needlers. The other weapons suck so bad that nobody uses them. How about not dumbing down the pistol? Is that too much to ask? Seven shots to kill someone?? Thats just plain ridiculous. Just some gripes I have. Hope I answered your question. If not, be more specific and I'll do my best to answer them.

-Ken

Let me put this up front for everyone to read: I don't hate Halo 2, but I have always been under the impression that a video game should concentrate on the non-multiplayer aspect of a game before the multiplayer. Bungie spent so much time trying to get the multiplayer right (which they did in a lot of areas) that the single player/co-op mode suffered horribly. IMHO that's a sin worse than making a reviewer review Fear Factor: Unleashed and Elf all in the same week. :) The game isn't bad, it just has a bad single player/co-op mode and that pisses me off to no end. Hence, why Halo 2 sucks ass. Give me my single player/co-op or give me death!! But, perferably the single player/co-op, that death thing can be real messy.

Stan, I'm glad you and a billion other people enjoyed the game. It wouldnt have sold as well if people didnt enjoy it. But enjoying something doesn't neccesarrily (sp?) make it good. A kijillion people bought Backstreet Boys albums, but that doesnt make them good :) I'm not pickin on ya Stan, if a gajillion people enjoy something, then there must be a redeeming qualitiy about said item. Maybe Halo 3 will be a game more to my technical and aesthetic pleasure, but until then I will stick with Timesplitters 2 and eagerly await TS 3.

Reply to: SaintBastard:

Let me put this up front for everyone to read: I don't hate Halo 2, but I have always been under the impression that a video game should concentrate on the non-multiplayer aspect of a game before the multiplayer.

I think games today are all about the multiplayer...look at all the games online. That's all we do on friday nights is sit around and play multiplayer versions of games with friends.

The multiplayer of Halo is the only version I've ever played and the only one i care about(not a big FPS fan). But I find the game fun while playing with others.

The original Halo was one of my favorite first person shooters of all time yet I didn't like Halo 2 at all and ended up trading it in already, which I thought I'd be playing it throughout x-mas because of the awesome scores and hype surrounding the game. The game was dull, the story was uninteristing and I could care less about the downfall of the Convenant unless masterchief is the one causing it which he wasn't. The guns and controls were not as tight and fluid as the first and IMO the graphics were downgraded in this game yes the characters now look more detailed but alot of times they appear blocky and the cinema scenes run like a kid playing with lego figures. Halo 2 also lost its adrenaline rush, Halo one added a state of urgency when the flood was introduced and you had to run from them and fight them in the last group of levels. Halo 2 they're prevelant in almost every level kinda takes the intimadation factor out of them. Halo 2's challenge was also dumbed down most characters stood there or ran at you until you were done pumping them full of lead where the original they would hide or run close to a brute. Also the Ending is god aweful, if the credits didn't come up I wouldn't have known I just beat the last pathotic level. The game didn't meet its hype and thats okay but when nothing is better than the original why have a sequel?

Probably because 1.5 million people pre-order the game. Why else have a sequal to a completly average game? And on the multiplayer note: This is why computers were made. You want online multiplayer? Get a PC. Simple as that. Okay, they wern't made for that specific purpose, but you get my point. I'm also kinda disappointed my new friend hasnt replied back yet...*sniff*....maybe he doesnt love me anymore....I pour my heart out and give a non-snarky answer to a serious question and I get nothing in return....that is so like gamers. Give em what they want and they turn their backs on ya. I feel so used!

I also do not have an issue with the games, but with the hype behind them. Halo is a great game. The reason why It should not recive the hype that it has gotten is because Halo has done NOTHING to deserve hype. Every formula of that game has been done before. Which that is ok, but people act like theres nothing like halo. Halo was great on X-box but when it came out on PC is was only average. Why? Not because Halo did not transend well from one port to another. It was a perfect port. With enhancements like online play and better graphics. It was only average cause the bar that Halo set so high on consoles is friggin low on PC first person shooters. Given its not really people over at Bungies fault for the hype, they just rode it. What I am really dissapointed at is other reviewers starting up the hype. Espically Halo 1 hype....that game is just average. I do like Halo 2 alot more than the first tho.

:b7: Of course games are more fun online because its a different challenge every day instead of playing 1 player and knowing where the enemy is each time you play it. Not saying that the one player in halo is boring just multi is a little more fun. :bananahump: lol

The dumbing down of the pistol pissed me off cause that and grenades were my weapons of choice, they could've at least left the scope. Now that i think about it the radar never does work, i don't like the team up feature i get stuck with a bnch of retards who can't play worth cow pies (worse then me) AND I DON'T OWN THE GAME. Its sad i play better then alot of people who own the game and i play maybe once every other week if i'm lucky.