2.1 million people still use AOL dial-up

I think thats absolutely crazy! Even in places where great internet like yours may be super expensive or even unavailable you can still almost always do better than dial up! That died like ten years ago! I don't know maybe they have their own reasoning but I just couldn't deal with bad internet like that.

Seriously?! Wow that's insane. I would've never imagined that some people still use dial up.

Remember the dial tone? That is my number one take-away from those days. I never paid for it though. I would usually just use the AOL free trials they sent you constantly! With the amount of disks I had, I could probably still be getting internet free right now!

I just could not deal with that internet speed. It frustrates me when a page doesn't come up for a few seconds and I can't imagine going back to the days when pages took minutes to load.

As a side note, I remember trying to call my dad to pick me up from school but he was playing on the internet so I had to walk home... ha. dial-up & no cell phones....

Some accounts are on "auto pay" and the customer is dead. The spouse has no idea what the charge is. Kind of like a Zombie Draft. It just won't die.

They are probably stuck in the past and not updated. Even seniors don't use dial-up nowadays.

I'm surprised that dial up is even still an option to be honest, as I'm sure that most websites and apps these days won't be able to run properly on a dial up connection.

The only reason I can think of would be a logistical problem, and people living in rural areas might need internet access but haven't got the means to get broadband internet.

That figure is still very high though, and I can't genuinely think of a reason why people would stick to dial up if they had the option to change.

....nooooooo.

I mean, I know there are people who live in the middle of nowhere who don't really have any choice when it comes to what they use internet-wise. (My best friend still has dial up.) But AOL? Noooooooooo. I can still hear it.... *shudder*

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/08/technology/aol-dial-up/index.html

I find that number mind blowing. In the article it says they pay $20 a month. I pay less than that for 200 mbps fibre. What do you think?

I am very surprised by this figure, especially when today's media pressures us to have the newest/best/fastest/shiniest things. I suppose dial up Internet is better than no Internet at all, however, with as slow as it is I wonder if it would be more worthwhile to go to a local free WiFi hotspot, like a restaurant or the public library? I pay a lot more than $20 per month on cable internet, however, I do some work from home and need a reliable Internet source. Perhaps the people with dial up are older people, who may not use the Internet as often as the younger crowd?

If they pay every month to use it, the very first thing I think of are people like cheaters on Ashley Madison. They pay to chat with people they don't know so they can have an affair. I bet that's what most of those people are doing. But I'm still surprised people use AOL. That was such a thing of the past that was very popular, but I haven't heard about it in so long.

LMAO, how and why on earth are they doing that? They must live in caves or something. It's 2021.