"Old-school" RPGs

Aladar

Registered
Jan 20, 2015
Western RPGs, Old-school RPGs, cRPGS.. call it what you want, I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. From classics like Wizardry to Dragon Age and everything in between, do you play western RPGs? Which ones are your favorite?

I think I have to go for the classic, Baldur's Gate 2. Everything Black Isle made was amazing (I even liked Lionheart), but I think this was - and still is - the benchmark to which all RPGs should be compared to. Great game, tons of content, great writing...

The last game I finished was Wasteland 2, and while it was really buggy at the time I played it (patch 2), I still enjoyed it a lot. I'm not sure how much replayability there is, it seemed fairly linear, but it really is the "real" Fallout 3, if you will.

Sometimes it is funny reading these types of threads because when you consider classic games, many people would consider new games. Dragon Age for example. For me, it would be Bard´s Tale, Ultima 3-4, Might and Magic 3-4, and Neverwinter Nights ( mainly for the ability to make content).

Sometimes it is funny reading these types of threads because when you consider classic games, many people would consider new games. Dragon Age for example. For me, it would be Bard´s Tale, Ultima 3-4, Might and Magic 3-4, and Neverwinter Nights ( mainly for the ability to make content).

I used classic as a umbrella term for RPGs with playstyle similar/taken from or inspired by D&D, so as a genre, not age-wise. As in, it's not action-RPG, modern shooter with RPG elements like Mass Effect, JRPG, or roguelike. Dragon Age may not be a completely classic RPG playstyle-wise, but it's still more faithful to old stuff than Mass Effect, for example.

ah ok, I was thinking you were referring to the age of the game. Yeah, Dragon Age is definitely traditional fantasy RPG. I think back in the 90s, most RPGs were really tolkien or D&D based games, but nowadays there is more steam-punk and zombie/apocolpyse style stuff coming out.

Looking forward to RPG zombie games. Don't know why, but I would love an apocalypse rpg where you get skill points and level your character based on zombie story-mode.

Planescape Torment

To date this and Silent Hill 2 are the main videogames that I have related the story.
I haven't played this game since I initially played it in 2009 and it is still one of my top games ever.
I truly need to play it once more, I simply don't have room schedule-wise that I did as a highschool boy.

ah ok, I was thinking you were referring to the age of the game. Yeah, Dragon Age is definitely traditional fantasy RPG. I think back in the 90s, most RPGs were really tolkien or D&D based games, but nowadays there is more steam-punk and zombie/apocolpyse style stuff coming out.

And I don't really like it at all. It's all about zombies, zombies and zombies. Survival games with zombies, crpg games with zombies, fps games with zombies.. Maybe they should try something new. From old school games I loved Diablo 2 (but 1 wasn't bad too) but also Heroes and my fav: Dragon Age. Amazing games. (And of course Morrowind!)

Back in the SNES era, I was all for JRPGs. The Final Fantasy series and Chrono Trigger were my absolute favorite games. I've developed more of a taste for action RPGs over time. I've probably spent more hours playing Diablo II and Lord of Destruction than I have on all other games combined.