Have Games taught you anything?

Nobody gives it enough credit, but many games teach time management and resource allocation skills that are useful in business... especially if you play RTS type games... managing assets as effeciently as possible translates into the workplace.

I have learned a lot of things actually. Words that I'm not familiar or meaning with it. Patience, concentration, cooperation and other skills that are useful in life.

Dragon age Origins and games like it which have choices gave you options with how you dealt with situations which were grey and not real bad ones, like you have the easy option of slaying the child who had demon. The other option is, try and free it by going in fade and fighting the demon and slaying it which gives good approval from party members I think some games give choices and see what being bad is or, how some choices have good or bad consequences when deciding in every day matters in life.

I've learned a lot with games because they are more and more realistic and they show us things from the real life, so the fact is that every single time we are playing a game we have the opportunity to learn something new.

Being an officer in most guilds I was in and then running a guild, also taught me a lot about people. I learned better management skills, planning, time management, and I had to learn to do what was best for the team rather than for the individual. You can't play favorites. You also give up a lot of your own time to help others. Being "the boss" isn't all it's cracked up to be. lol

Yeah having to manage a ton of people in raid situations and even regular day to day activities with a guild is a tedious job. I used to manage and run a large guild in GW2 before I stepped down. I already have to deal with a small staff in real life, manage my own personal household and adding another group of people to manage in game all the time was too much. There's egos that have to be placated, people to rouse into doing things and dangling incentives to get something going. Scheduling was another set of nightmares haha. I definitely don't miss it. Also another thing that I learned from games over the years was a little bit of economics. Playing the WoW auction house over the years taught me some rudimentary flipping skills that I employ in real life.

Video games in general have given me great hand-eye coordination. I was always great at catching a football, and angling shots when I play basketball. I attribute that to video games because I'm not the most athletic person. I also learned that I can spend a whole day playing a game without eating if I'm really into it.

Video games have taught me hand-eye coordination as well as planning for an opponent predicting their movements and how far people will go to win a game. Most online games copycat a build when they see someone else winning all the time with it without every trying to find what works for them and then boast how good they are. When I used to play champions online almost everyone had a dual pistols build while I was the only one with a heavy weapon build. I perfected my heavy weapon build and it got me lots of fame in game as people tried to copy my unique build but I never told anyone what made it so successful.

I have learned a lot of things actually. Words that I'm not familiar or meaning with it. Patience, concentration, cooperation and other skills that are useful in life.

haha, I would love to have a list of words I have learned from games and then see how often I have used them outside the game. Also, it is difficult to gauge because you don´t know if someone who doesn´t play games knows those words. I remember a lot of the early games i played taught me armor piece names, but then a lot of early WOW taught me biology stuff.

Yeah, some games have. For example, DotA 2 has taught me that team work wins games (in this case, teamwork wins life?), and that you can't give up for the silliest of reasons. Other than that game, not really, as I can remember.

Raid leading in World of Warcraft really taught me some skills in leadership and managing a group of people to be efficient and effective.

It has also taught me a lot about just teaching people in general. Getting a bunch of people to understand the fight mechanics can be pretty stressful, because it takes a long time to get it through to them.

We can learn a lot with games and I see that with my kids, they come up to me with things I didn't have a clue they know and they tell me they have learned with computer games.

Co-ordination, mindgames, reflexes, logical reasoning, useless general knowledge, typing speed, the list goes on and on. The most valuable thing I've learnt from video games is probably the ability to effectively evaluate situations, and then act on my judgement. I find that I'm much more confident in my choices now, both in real and electronic life.

Pretty much, I think it's miscalculated what we learn with gaming, there is a lot of knowledge, not only brain activity improvement, but also specific knowledge that can help us on our day to day.

There have been various researches which claim that video games can be beneficial to people in numerous ways. I'd say that I've improved upon my English a lot thanks to video games. I also believe my money/resource management skills have enhanced thanks to countless hours I've spent on Warcraft III and other real-time strategy games.

To be honest I think Battle.Net chat rooms helped me to develop my typing skills. Back when I would play Diablo and Starcraft on it I would hang out in a couple chat rooms pretty regularly on the service because I made friends with some of the people on there. I also learned organization from having to manage 5 Diablo 2 accounts which were filled with mule characters.

Video games have taught me the meaning of patience. It might seem absurd but when you think about video games do require patience especially games like Skyrim and Pokemon, where grinding is important to beat the game ( or in Skyrim's case, boost smithing to 100). They taught me that sometimes if you want something nice you're going to have to work for it. It's not just going to be handed to you on a silver platter. Video Games get a lot of criticism from the media about how they're rotting the brains of children everywhere but in fact they can teach kids a great deal.

Well, Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood taught me how to curse in Italian! Haha, but nah it gave me a feel for Italian and fueled my desire to learn the language. Also after hearing someone talk in Italian for long period helped my pronunciation sound more "natural". Portal 2 helped me have patience and to look at thinks logically and critically. And to use my head to solve a problem. :D

LOL, that is important Kitty, cursing in Italian is something really cool I am guessing. :) If we do pay attention most of the games have something to teach us.

Yes. They've taught me strategy. When something is beyond me, when it's trivial and below me. They've taught me friendship and family values (guilds and parties) and they've taught me even inside a video game, you still need a job (tradeskills).

They've also taught me how to solve puzzles and use my mind effectively. I would have never gotten this in real life or from a book.