Best MMORPG?...besides World of Warcraft?

missbee23

Registered
Nov 7, 2014
I played wow for several years, but just like a doomed couple, over time we just grew apart. I still enjoy that kind of game, but so far have not found another MMORPG that can give me the kind of experience I once had. Any suggestions?

its true that WOW has a pretty solid lock on that market, there are even free ones that i enjoy thoroughly.

Fiesta comes to mind. its a little cutesy, but tons of people and awesome raids and events.

SW:KOTOR online is pretty fun if you like force choking and electrocution.

Fallen Earth. It's, uhhm.... really addicting and it has an interesting concept. Not a lot more. Remember spending my whole free time on that game, it's really worth the time if you try and get into the roots of the game. ;) Oh, and it's f2p.

It looks something like this.

Oooh, a fellow GamersFirst player! Well, not sure if All Points Bulletin' is a MMORPG, but it most certainly is a MMO, and a good one, that is. The fact that there are premium weapons bug me, but you can oversmart them with good tactics. You should check that game out!

I feel like every MMORPG out there plays almost exactly like WoW does, and I really hate it. I never got into WoW because it feels like a second job, it's not fun to grind "Kill 50 boars and return to me"-quests for hours to level up and reach the end game.

I wish there was a MMORPG out there that actually had less focus on grind and more on freedom and exploration. It's not fun for me to run the same instance over and over in hopes of getting better gear, and I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can stand playing those games. This is all just my opinion of course :p. But yeah, after the first WoW-esque game I understand why you feel lost since the other games will always be inferior versions of your already nostalgia-drenched cherry popper. I used to play RuneScape (classic) in my childhood, and while that game had it's good points (lootable drop on death, free trade [now mostly revoked]) it's not exactly the best MMORPG ever objectively speaking, but I don't think I can ever touch another MMORPG unless something drastic happens to the genre because in my mind it'll always just be new and worse versions of RuneScape.

I feel like every MMORPG out there plays almost exactly like WoW does, and I really hate it. I never got into WoW because it feels like a second job, it's not fun to grind "Kill 50 boars and return to me"-quests for hours to level up and reach the end game.

I wish there was a MMORPG out there that actually had less focus on grind and more on freedom and exploration. It's not fun for me to run the same instance over and over in hopes of getting better gear, and I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can stand playing those games. This is all just my opinion of course :p. But yeah, after the first WoW-esque game I understand why you feel lost since the other games will always be inferior versions of your already nostalgia-drenched cherry popper. I used to play RuneScape (classic) in my childhood, and while that game had it's good points (lootable drop on death, free trade [now mostly revoked]) it's not exactly the best MMORPG ever objectively speaking, but I don't think I can ever touch another MMORPG unless something drastic happens to the genre because in my mind it'll always just be new and worse versions of RuneScape.
You hit the nail on the head. I hadn't really thought about how important freedom and exploration are, but I think that is what most other games are missing. I don't mind the grind so much if it is open world and I am free to explore when I want a change of pace. There are a lot of very linear games out there. I miss the adventure!

In MMORPG circles, games like WoW are often referred to as Themepark MMORPGS - there's a lot of attractions, but they're linear and you're guided through, e.g. Arena, Battlegrounds, Instances etc. My preferred MMORPG type would be sandbox games, you're free to explore a seamless world, play as you wish, craft, PvP everywhere with consequences etc. The problem is that it's incredibly hard to design because you need
- A robust economy system that attracts both PvPers and "carebears". But players are too used to run around in peace like it's a single player game whenever they choose like, they don't like the thrill of not knowing what'll happen.
- A gigantuan, preferrably seamless world, with tons of easter eggs and spells/abilities/sights/monsters/loot to discover, else it just feels empty It's much more efficient to fill your game with a couple of well-done instances and direct players there.
- A huge population... if players are the driving force behind the economy, how are you supposed to launch a game with a small population when it basically depends on a lot of players?

From the Devs perspective, it's not really a profitable model, but if someone succeeded I think we'd all be playing that over games like WoW where the end game is to sit around bored for the majority of the time.

For me, I like mmorpg's, one's like aion. I like games where there is a set story line for you to follow rather than ones where you make your own and let your imagination run wild. I say this because when that happens, for me at least, I always ask myself (what do I do now?) as opposed to (I know what I should do know). Aion does that for me considering I always end up logging off needing to do more when I log on. It has a decent player base as well so I don't have the awkward am I the only one playing this? feeling in it either. So for me this is the best one.

Has anyone tried Archeage? I looked it up and it sounded like it had a lot to do. I think it suffers from the same thing a lot of games do, which is that it is a WoW-clone.

I actually never tried out WoW up until a few months ago. I'm loving it so far, but I do agree about those that are saying it is linear and doesn't allow for much exploration.

To be honest, MMORPGs won't go much further until they realise that if people wanted to play a WoW lookalike, they'd play WoW. I played the free trial when I was like...10, since my parents weren't keen on the subscription idea, and I adored the exploration. Just running and swimming for hours on end, manually exploring the world. I got up to the same shenanigans later in Perfect World, picking Winged Elf just so I could fly everywhere and explore early on. But aside from the exploration value, those games are just grind, kill, grind, kill these days. Server transfer, teleporting and whatnot kind of killed off the forced player interacting with made those localised communities, and harmed the exploration value too. With those lessened, there's not much left for someone like me any more.

I have heard fantastic things about EVE, and I do know for a fact it's not a clone of anything else out there...I just need a computer that can run it!

To be honest, MMORPGs won't go much further until they realise that if people wanted to play a WoW lookalike, they'd play WoW. I played the free trial when I was like...10, since my parents weren't keen on the subscription idea, and I adored the exploration. Just running and swimming for hours on end, manually exploring the world. I got up to the same shenanigans later in Perfect World, picking Winged Elf just so I could fly everywhere and explore early on. But aside from the exploration value, those games are just grind, kill, grind, kill these days. Server transfer, teleporting and whatnot kind of killed off the forced player interacting with made those localised communities, and harmed the exploration value too. With those lessened, there's not much left for someone like me any more.

I have heard fantastic things about EVE, and I do know for a fact it's not a clone of anything else out there...I just need a computer that can run it!

You can run EVE on damn near anything. Until about mid-tier in the game you are looking at mainly playing it as a spread sheet. The graphics go from meh to amazing. I have the best and worst stories of guilds ever in that game.

Yeah EVE runs on everything, including my old laptop. What specs are you currently on? The game is like a second job, though, although it's probably a lot of fun to play with guildies or to mess around as soon as you get somewhat advanced you're just playing math... and not the fun kind.

We need to stop talking about EVE. You guys are going to make me play that damn thing again and that is the last fucking thing I want to get back into. You are fucking playing it at every moment you are subscribed. Your levels are just based on a timer, and that is only for skills that decide what you can and can't fly/use. Money is kind of the real exp in that game.

We need to stop talking about this.

You could try Wakfu, it's a free-to-play RPG on Steam. What separates it from the pack is that it is a turn-based MMORPG, kinda like the Final Fantasy games, but you control only 1 main character. You have to coordinate and strategize with other players to clear dungeons and raid bosses, which gets tricky at the higher levels. It might get a bit grindy, but I recommend it to fans of Final Fantasy and similar strategy games, should they be bored of spamming the same keys over and over again like in most generic RPGs.

I wouldn't say that WOW is the best MMORPG to ever launch. Yes, it was revolutionary for its time, but tings have changed now. It's sad to see that games like Rift and ESO don't get much attention at all. If you are looking to play something different, I would suggest you to try ESO, The Secret World, The Guild Wars and a few other games.

Well, I ended up trying Guildwars, 2moons, silkroad, and swords of the new world. Guildwars is horrible, 2moons has nice animations but the gameplay sucks, silkroad gets boring easily, and swords of the new world... it's better than the rest of these games, but not all that great. I'm gonna try RF Online now.

To be honest, my favorite MMORPG was Dungeon Fighter Online or DFO for short. It was cancelled and recently brought back and I want to get back to playing it because it was my favorite MMORPG. It was similar enough to street fighter and unique enough to 2d fighting that I legitimately was willing to spend money on it if I ever found I had enough to do so. Unfortunately, since it's revival I've found myself unwilling to rebuild my character yet again because I couldn't handle losing it once more. I hate to see hard work disappear. On the other hand, if it has enough active players then I don't think it will get cancelled again and I sincerely suggest it if you like fighting style side scroller rpgs.

Final Fantasy XIV. Only one that I happy pay monthly for at this point. They managed to make me care about the genre again.
I always wondered about the Final Fantasy games, but I feel that if I wasn't in at the beginning that I won't feel a real attachment to the game. You know, like coming in on the 3rd season of The Walking Dead, not really knowing what is going on. Would I feel like I was missing something if I didn't go back and play from the beginning? Or is it the kind of game where I could just jump in and start playing the latest release?