Is Nintendo following Sega's route?

Stan

myGamer Slave
Staff member
Registered
Jun 22, 2005
www.mygamer.com
Nintendo's sales are dreadful. US Wii U sales at 57000 in January, Xbox 360 sells 281000 during month.

Will they dump Hardware sales and become a Game Publisher?

They have been dumbing down their consoles. First they remove GC backwards compatibility in their Wii (which also removed Wavebird support), then they remove all online functionality with the Wii Mini. And the Wii U's default HD space will not hold up after a year. Then they make a game like NSMB U but do not make it true HD and do not include online play. Besides, there still really isnt that killer must own game for Wii U.

Nintendo makes high quality games but they completely ignore basic features like online support.

I have to agree with you. With the PS4 specs released and the new MS box coming, I doubt Nintendo will be a player for long unless they make serious business model changes.

Hmph, I have never even considered Wii that big of a deal. As far as I know, they're investing less than Playstation or Xbox, so it's logical, that they're also selling less. Oh, and I think that the people in charge of Nintendo Wii understand that they won't be in the market forever, unless they release an exclusive game, using all of the Wii's futures.

Not sure if it is just me, but I see Wii as a children gaming console. And when I say children - I mean CHILDREN, aged 6-10. Would never buy a gaming device which forces me to pick my ass up and sway around the room with a tiny controller.

Not sure if it is just me, but I see Wii as a children gaming console. And when I say children - I mean CHILDREN, aged 6-10. Would never buy a gaming device which forces me to pick my ass up and sway around the room with a tiny controller.

Lol, its good exercise though, isn't it? Nintendo's been sort of disappointing over the recent years with what they came out with, and I most certainly agree with you when you say their new gaming consoles like the Wii are for children. My brother purchased a mini Wii, and so far the only games we could find that were worth playing were games like Mario or Just Dance 3, and those games are really for little kids. Nintendo's even coming out with systems that sound ridiculous, like the " Wii U" or Wiimote" which got me cracking up. I hope they actually get far in the future, because they did come out with good stuff in the past.

It's hard to say. One thing that Nintendo has to its advantage is that they control the handheld market. Sega tried and failed at the same market. That will be their saving grace. On the home system side, yeah they probably will stay on the low end on that side. And with the Wii U, things backfired. They were sure the controller would assure them unique games from the third parties. Instead, third parties are pushing away from Nintendo now more than they ever had.

Lol, its good exercise though, isn't it? Nintendo's been sort of disappointing over the recent years with what they came out with, and I most certainly agree with you when you say their new gaming consoles like the Wii are for children. My brother purchased a mini Wii, and so far the only games we could find that were worth playing were games like Mario or Just Dance 3, and those games are really for little kids. Nintendo's even coming out with systems that sound ridiculous, like the " Wii U" or Wiimote" which got me cracking up. I hope they actually get far in the future, because they did come out with good stuff in the past.

Nuh-uh, I repudiate games that force me to move. Gaming is for relaxing (or screaming at your screen because of the team's crappiness), not for sweating. While sure, kids are enjoying it, I don't find it at all attractive.

yeaaa wii is a load of c-rap. all you do is swing your controller up and down, back and forth. it was very interesting and innovative several years ago, but its getting old now. theyll just sell out to some big company and thats it.

Wii is NOT a load of crap. It's concept is very good and I think it will live on for as long as parents will buy these consoles for their younger kids. Well, but if parents will decide that Wii is bad for their kids' health because it can cause harm to their joints (overly protective parents at their best), then Wii may fail. :D

Nintendo, what the heck is that?! Is it a metal box to store garbage? Sounds like it... heh heh.

Anyways, the Wii was an okay system, but since it's creators desired it to be more of a social console, this is what I believe that caused it to fail in sales. Most people play video games alone, most of the time. Also, Wii did not have a lot of games that were good to play overall.

The way I see it, the big gorillas in the room is XBOX and PS4. Nintendo is business model is to hit the niche that these 2 aren't doing, hence the totally different console architecture and non existent online gaming. Nintendo basicly built a cheaper console and stripped it off all the bells and whistles (online gaming), and are trying to win gamers over with first party games. If they don't see a profit from this business model, then you will see nintendo pull out of the gaming console wars and steer to parts unknown where sega is right now.

I don't personally "love" the Wii. But I can't see why people say the Wii is crap. As much as I hate to say it, the Wii brought in a whole new demographic of people that never played games on a normal basis. Granted, that's part of the reason the Wii U is in such dire straits. But the main factor that will keep Nintendo from becoming Sega is that Nintendo doesn't have enormous debts to pay the way Sega did.