Would the 360 not suck at Japan?

Darth_Jonas said:
Good points, Scribe. Unfortunately, Meggo, issue discussed before as to why I think Microsoft struggled in the Japanese market applies to women as well. How many game designers are women? I don't mean have a few women employed there. A relative of mine is a designer at a company designing Warhammer for the digital realm. He's never mentioned a single female there, or are there any in any of the company pics he's shown me.

Maybe you could start a company of women designers, marketers, writers and artists? I'll come be the service boy! Asylum would take out the garbage and clean the carpets.

*sigh* I would love to do something like that. Ever since I had been introduced to videogames, I've always wanted to design one of my own, especially work on the storyboard, or even more excellently character design or dialogue. However, I have no idea how to get one of these jobs, much less start my own legion of female designers. I used to dig around for that kind of info nonstop, but apparently I was always barking up the wrong tree and eventually stopped searching... Plus, my mom even hates the fact that I have some sort of liking for games: "I'm not sending you to journalism school so you can write video game reviews!!!!eleventy-one!!!!" Riiiight, mother dearest, you can keep thinking that.

Anyway, my plans for entering the game industry have always been (and still are) find a reviewing positions and/or some crappy entry level job and work my way up. Any suggestions? *now realizes she is horribly off topic from the thread and slinks away into her lair of femininity*

Well, take my advice with a grain of salt, since I passed that life path by a while ago. To break into games, schooling is still important. You have to possess software skills geared toward the type of jobs in the Video Game industry you want. The designer field is extremely competitive right now and the demand is kinda low, but programmers and Q&A people are always needed.

There are a number of academic programs being offered all over the country, and the better ones have a good track record of placing their graduates. I'd start my research in that direction. Also, starting out with the 'lowly' job of being a Tester isn't a bad idea to really get your foot in the door and noticed from the ground floor.

If it's gaming journalism you're interested in, that's a different beast altogether. I've worked for three different websites thus far, one as an outright employee and the others on a freelance basis. It's particularly difficult here on the East Coast, with a large number of the actual publications and the companies they write about being located in greater quantities out West. In this case, I suggest starting out with writing your own material on your own website to use as samples when seeking writing jobs. Examples of your work are paramount! Keep at it, because the worst thing that could happen is that you end up working a day job while doing contract work. This at least will keep your portfolio growing, and continue to help you on your way.

Well, that's enough of the pep talk. Good luck!

Well, that and with the way things are going for the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Revolution, smalltimers will be able to get their hands on the devkits for the games, and will become able to make games a put them up for download/purchase on the XBL Arcade or Revo Virtual Console. If you can make some decent games that get some popularity, you'll have a shot to get picked up by publishers and make some real games.

Yay, thanks so much for the advice. For the gaming journalism bit I received the similar advice from a fellow freelancer who works at the large local paper based Cleveland (the guy actually took over the old freelancing job I used to have as a student reviewer with a bunch of other kids. It took time, but I've eventually forgiven him :p).

The thing about deciding whether I want to go into design vs. the journalism aspect of gaming is what is getting in my way the most. I'd like to get into design, but the fact that it is so competitive and there are already so many other talented people out there frightens me. (If you haven't learned this about me yet, I don't have the highest self-esteem, lol)

I also feel bad about cluttering the XBox boards like this with career questions... perhaps I should move this discussion to another forum??

The system just need the support. And it does not have that which is sad. But most ppl dont care. Microsfot put a lot of time in the American Market and they now see that. That is why they are trying hard to get a fot in the door in Japan. The Japaness developrers dont want to take a chance on the system because why should they. The First Xbox sucked in Japan so why try now. But with Square and Capcom backing maybe they have a chance. All they need are the games. The fact that Capcom is bringing RE5 is good but the Japaness wont care because its gonna be on the PS3. The retro games may bring in more support but thats hard to tell. Nintendo hols most of that now thanks to Sega. But what do i know I have a 360 and i'm ok with it not hapy but ok.

Yay, thanks so much for the advice. For the gaming journalism bit I received the similar advice from a fellow freelancer who works at the large local paper based Cleveland (the guy actually took over the old freelancing job I used to have as a student reviewer with a bunch of other kids. It took time, but I've eventually forgiven him :p).

The thing about deciding whether I want to go into design vs. the journalism aspect of gaming is what is getting in my way the most. I'd like to get into design, but the fact that it is so competitive and there are already so many other talented people out there frightens me. (If you haven't learned this about me yet, I don't have the highest self-esteem, lol)

I also feel bad about cluttering the XBox boards like this with career questions... perhaps I should move this discussion to another forum??

Japanese are weird.

tigaer said:
Japanese are weird.

You can not say that. that stament should get you kicked in the nuts for that. True they have different veiws then others but then again we all do. Just because someone is not like you does not make them weird.

Another thing. If it was not for them your Gaming life would not be here. So you should bow to the ones resposable for giving you the thing we all love.

liljustin420 said:
yeah i thinik japs suck

Seriously, if you value any part of your life, you will NEVER EVER EVER say that again within a 50-mile radius of a gaming community. I'm not even gonna waste my time with you. You're probably just an ugly American pig who sits there and gets a high off of fragging 13-year-olds on online games all day long.

You disgust me. Both of you, tigaer and liljustin420. I think I speak for many when I say that. I just can't stand close-minded people like you.

he's called a troll. A troll is someone who deliberately riles the likes of you, Meggo. He may even be Japanese for all we know. Feed the troll to Demi. She eat's those for in-between meal snacks.

Racism sucks.

The reason why the 360 is not doing well in Japan is because of two factors:
-The Japanese do not prefer western developers/producers. It's a matter of pride for them to support their own developers/producers over us. I don't hold it against them. After all, they play games where the main objective is to spank other people or other quirky things. That's their deal.

-The Japanese gamers, as a whole, don't prefer Western games. Not many Japanese gamers play First-Person shooters. They tend to stick to dating sims, SHMUPS, and MMORPGs. The 360 does not cater to their style of gaming(Ninety-Nine Nights being the exception to the rule, and Oblivion, but more need to be made).

The Xbox, and likely any Microsoft product, will likely never do very well in Japan.

From my trip to Japan last year, it was quite clear that Sony and Nintendo dominated in every store. In one store, there were less than 20 Xbox games - all looked like returns - and hundreds of PS2 and PSP releases, almost as many Nintendo products and most were DS games. I was there right before Nintednogs was being released and every demo DS unit was occupied.

I suspect tthat besides sentiments toward the US, the constant on-the-street promotion of Japanese hardware - Sony and Nintendo - also contributes. They really do like American/Western fashions and culture, but when it comes to technology, they are often leading the pack, so why would they think that the US can make decent hardware?