Would the 360 not suck at Japan?

scribe999 said:
If it's gaming journalism you're interested in, that's a different beast altogether. I've worked for three different websites thus far, one as an outright employee and the others on a freelance basis. It's particularly difficult here on the East Coast, with a large number of the actual publications and the companies they write about being located in greater quantities out West. In this case, I suggest starting out with writing your own material on your own website to use as samples when seeking writing jobs. Examples of your work are paramount! Keep at it, because the worst thing that could happen is that you end up working a day job while doing contract work. This at least will keep your portfolio growing, and continue to help you on your way.

I'll second pretty much all of that. Us non-West Coast writers have geography working against us for getting hired and in themidst of the industry, but also for us in terms of not many others around us when publications do start looking for writers (and that day will come).

Produce lots of clean, well written samples, but not just video game reviews/coverage. Have strong news clips and a few other media reviews (movies, DVDs, theater, TV, book, etc.) Chances of writing game reviews exclusivley is pretty dern slim when most editors are still 2.5 times your age and don't really "get" the importance, influence and cultural significance of video games. Unless it's a fan pub, the editors are news dudes who have had tha job forever, and go with what they think the publisher will approve. .. and you age really does not matter for getting published, except for maybe face-to-face interviews and trying to get certain pay.

Most important, is get on paper and get a company name above your headline Your own web site is OK, but in the age of Blogging, everyone is doing it. A respectable - or, in some cases, a cleverly named - web site is better.