Women in Videogames

I agree that women are by far the most beautiful creatures on this planet or universe for that matter. However, I am turned off by games that overtly throw out a women's body as a marketing tool. I know that’s the direction the industry is moving in and there is really nothing that can be done about it. I just much rather have solid gameplay and story over hyper sexualized women any day. If a game is done well there is no need for half-dressed women to keep the gamers attention. Another thing that concerns me (a little off topic) is the frequency in which young children are able to get their hands on the mature titles (speaking from observations of my own community of friends, family, and acquaintances). I don't think mature games can be any type of positive influence in a child's development. But that’s a topic for another forum I suppose.

Reply to: ActionHank:

well Rayne was a voulumptious woman who just loved killing. Lara Croft was a voulumptious woman who loved action and blowing up stuff. Although these are strong and beautiful characters, and something you would think to apeal to women. But lets face it, women are not like men. They as a whole only like action and violence to a certain point, unlike most men who just can't enough of it. I really cant see big breasted women shooting the crap out of stuff appealing to women. Females like more depth of character. I believe thats why most women who consider themselves gamers play RPGs. Its also why I think the FFX-2 females are more popular with the girls than the guys.

Perhaps women prefer RPG-like games because then they dont have to deal with the exploitation in these other games. Hence, the industry is basically forcing women out of the genre by not including them through positive portrayal.

And BCampbell made a good point about how "manufacturers are still designing characters that appeal to men/boys." About 95% of the game industry's jobs are held by men. So you have barely enough women "behind the scenes" who have any control or say. This makes it seem as if it's a Man's Tech World and women have no place expect wearing the skimpy outfits to keep the world going.

First of all, let me say that there is nothing inherent about women's liking for RPGs. Women can be just as violent as men and enjoy games with violence in them. The reason why women today move more toward RPGs is because women are socially contructed to tbe "passive" while men are constructed to be "aggressive." It's not "natural" or ingrained in our biology.

Second, Dee's right about the problem with the male/female ratio in the game industry. But, like I said before, there are plenty of women out there who are not BUYING games, but are PLAYING games. This means that the industry would be doing a hell of a lot better if the dudes would stop being egotistical and start making games for people other than their own social/egender group.

And I just want to state for the record I'll kick any of your asses and I don't have double d tits and a pixelated brain. :p
All your base are belong to us. ;)

Haha, you rock Sallie. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only Flaming Female Gamer out there.

Another point though, is that in response to this issue in the industry many "games for girls" have arisen. Games like the Nancy Drew series by HerInteractive and Rockett by Purple Moon cater to young girls and again separate them from these exclusive games for men and boys. I feel that they increase the gender divide with games showing them to "pick out nice clothes" and just solve puzzles. Like Sallie said, women like all games. It's that they are "expected" and assumed to like certain types because of they're role in society.

It's all the social ideology that we are feed since birth. The men must rejoice in their masculine virility and women just cook. Sorry but many will be eating TV dinners if you keep that mind set up. Just don't believe everything you thought was common knowledge about women, guys. Although some may still be true ;o)

From the immortal Spike Spiegel (during a fight):

"I love a woman who can kick my ass."
and
"Are all the employees here like you? You've got some pretty classy moves for a corporate girl."

Women should know their role and stay in the kitchen, they also need to stop burning those bra's and start burning a steak... oh wait wrong site, I've gotten my ass handed to me by my woman numerous times, In Timesplitters, VIrtua Fighter Evo (She thinks the Tekken Series blows), and I challenge anyone to beat her at guilty gear. Woman can be as hardcore as any man, maybe even more, I'm man enough to admit it, unlike many of you. I'm also man enough to admit it because if I don't my woman won't give me any of that good luvin.

"I like me." Caboose

Continuing the discussion: I have a question for the female gamers. Women in skimpy clothing fulfill a very simple turn on for most males. Because of numerous other social trends, it has become acceptable to portray women in skimpy clothing in video games. Therefore, it is extremely simple for video game designers, whether they have a good game or a bad one on their hands, to appeal to this basic male turn on by animating female characters in skimpy outfits.

My question to the female gamers is this: Is there a simple aspect of character design that game developers could use to appeal more to you all? I could mention stereotypical female views such as guys who aren't afraid to cry, share their feelings, or clean up after themselves, but I'm a bigger man...

who's crying...like a little girl.

"Buenos Dias, cockbites. Guess who's back." --Tex

It has become more of a social "norm" (the simple fact that is is common) for women to be protrayed in a certain manner, and not so much and that it is acceptable or ethically correct. Both men AND women are to blame. Men for exploiting them, and women for degrading themselves. And that could also be due to the patriarchal control of men in many other industries, almost any medium. Therefore, they determine what will become "okay" or not.

But to answer your question. I actually never had a big problem with Lara Croft for example. She was your typical kick butt heroine, with the double D rack ofcourse. But that was emphasized more in the game art and CG scenes. I like to see female characters that are as badass as the men. Just like you guys see Master Chief or Ryu and think how strong they are, you admire them. We like to relate to that same empowerment in strength too. But women in games are mostly passive or just portrayed to assist the main male.

But the industry isn't interested in meeting our needs. A game executive was once quoted saying to HerInteractive's Sheri Granier, "I have more left-handed players than I have female players and I don't make games for left-handed people. Why should I make games for you?" (That's just messed up) Now a question for you, how would you guys feel if you were directly pushed away and neglect like that or if you were constantly being exploited regardless of what social norms are? And all to please a certain group in society?

Reply to: PithPulchritude:

"I have more left-handed players than I have female players and I don't make games for left-handed people. Why should I make games for you?"

Damn left handed gamers. I knew there was a scapegoat here if we just looked hard enough. If we got rid of all the left-handed gamers, then the industry would start to cater to female gamers. Why didn't we think of this idea earlier? It makes perfect sense.

I know this topic has been dormant for a while, but I wanted to let you all know of the progressive efforts being made in today's video games. Wait, a minute. Did I say progressive? I'm sorry, I meant regressive.

The current game I am playing for review is Rave Master for GC. It is a fighting game with a story mode. If I am understanding the game correctly, they only have five characters with which you can run through story mode. I have run through two character's stories: the protagonist of the series and the one female character available in story mode. While the guy's story, I believe, was pertinent to the anime series, the girl's story was about how she was taking a bath in a river and some peeping tom took her picture. Ok, on the one hand, serious story about courage and loss, and on the other, peeping toms. Furthermore, I would say that this game is targeted to a younger audience. I'm not exactly certain what it says to the kids today when the girl's story is about public bathing and lechery. Plus the characters are all teenagers. Plus, plus, it is revealed at the end of the story that it was the cute, stuffed animal character who actually took the picture, and the girl decided that in the end she liked it. It was flattering. Like I said, I'm not certain the message this sends, but I imagine it is not in the most progressive light. The female character does kick much ass though in searching for who took the picture. I thought she played better than the main hero. I don't know how much a consolation that is.