Wii to launch in July?

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
Digg.com has a link to a story rumouring that N will release Wii in July or possibly even AT E3. I don't think that's likely, unless the third party titles we've heard about are actually a lot farther along in development than we've been told.

Nah, it's not gonna happen. There've been that sort of rumor about a surprisingly close release date for a while, but they're untrue.

There's substantiated rumors about a few things. One is that the control stick part of the controller (the non-remote part of the nunchaku) will have motion sensitivity. There's also rumors that the whole controller may be pressure-sensitive (I dunno what that would actually do, though). Thing is, though, like ya said, there's gonna be lots of stuff unveiled at E3.

It could sense you not holding it, and drop said item. In a role-playing game, in a fight, should you drop your controller, your weapon could fall out of your hand.

Or, while casting a spell, shift your grip, and your weapon sheathes, allowing you access to move your hands to cast.

spudlyff8fan said:
There's substantiated rumors about a few things. One is that the control stick part of the controller (the non-remote part of the nunchaku) will have motion sensitivity. There's also rumors that the whole controller may be pressure-sensitive (I dunno what that would actually do, though). Thing is, though, like ya said, there's gonna be lots of stuff unveiled at E3.

So they're releasing two controllers right?

For my birthday (July 24th) I would like to either own a Wii OR have it on reserve and paid off. This can be accomplished much easier if everyone just sends me $1.27. You can either send it via paypal or as loose change in an envelope (although you had better just send $1.00 in an envelope because the change wont make it) Please message me for address and paypal information. Seriously though... send me money! I know you want to and I know that I want you to. It just works better that way. Thanks!!

-Tanya

Don't forget what happened with the Sega Saturn. They pulled a colossal surprise by launching it months before when people were expecting it, and developers couldn't develop the games in time. It came out, nothing came out for a solid 8-12 months after the launch, interest wained and the console never recovered.

spudlyff8fan said:
Don't forget what happened with the Sega Saturn. They pulled a colossal surprise by launching it months before when people were expecting it, and developers couldn't develop the games in time. It came out, nothing came out for a solid 8-12 months after the launch, interest wained and the console never recovered.

That's not really why it failed though. It may have been a contributing factor, but the overall difficulty of developing for it and the console's reliance on advanced 2D graphics rather than good 3D graphics was what really killed it when the gaming landscape shifted heavily to 3D.

Nintendo could have the Wii ready sooner than we think, since they're not necessarily using state of the art hardware and thus don't have as long of a hardware development and testing timetable. But they still need to get software straight, and it's hard to tell how far along they are in that process. It's unlikey the Wii will ship that soon, but it's possible.

I agree that 3rd party developers may not have games ready to go for Wii, but Nintendo might have their own games all ready, sitting pretty.

The whole Wii campaign has been based on secrecy and surprise, I wouldn't be shocked if N had a bunch of games ready to go for a surprise release.

Yeah. Nintendo only sent out the near-full devkits a few months ago. I don't think we'd see many great games that were only developed over the course of 5-8 months.

cuinneas said:
Seriously... Why are people not sending me money yet?

because we want it to bomb some Nintendo checks with us before the ruin a good system with stupid name