Wii date TBA on...

Just read about Wii Sports. Everything in that game is so painfully shallow it can barely even be considered a game.

The launch lineup was announced at E3...I think. Even if not at E3, a launch lineup was unveiled. And games have since been added and subtracted. Pretty much the only ones that weren't just half-hearted ports either sucked or aren't launch titles. The games that ARE ports are just graphically dumbed down to Cube-level (yeah, imagine CoD3 with Cube graphics) and the basic functionality with the Wii controller.

And the console should cost $200. Straight up. They just through in Wii Sports for an excuse to raise it o $250.

And yeah, you're just being overly-optimistic.

Steve, you seem to have no appreciation for Nintendo's attempt to harness a larger market, and expand the "gamer" demographic. What they're trying to do is very difficult, and they're doing a good job.

Whether it meets your narrow criteria or not, Wii Sports is the single console game that is most likely to get non-gamers to pick up a controller and give video games a shot.

Do you know why I think Nintendo REALLY bundled Wii Sports? Because that way, everyone in North America will have it in their library, and when their non-gamer friends and family visit, they'll pop it in and say "come give this a try, you'll like it". It's literally a viral marketing technique, and I for one am not complaining.

I want to play games with people who don't normally play, so I would have bought Wii Sports anyway.

Steve, unless you WANT the gaming market to remain small and narrowly focused (which will eventually kill any market at all, given enough time and social change) I don't understand your perspective at all.

That's because I'm thoroughly convinced that the whole idea will fail miserably. It may interest non-gamers, unfortunately the game is shaping up to be so crappy that there won't be any gamers for them to get them into it. Yeah, we've all heard about Brain Age being played by old people, but how many old people do you think actually went out and bought a DS and Brain Age themself? I'd bet I could count them on my hands. Video games have ALWAYS been played by mostly by age thirty-and-under males. I don't think Nintendo's going to change that, no matter how hard they try. But really, it isn't as "small and narrowly focused" as you think.

You're right, I reacted out of fanboy-ism.

I guess I just choose to be optimistic.

However, the Wii does have a little bit more potential, I think than the DS for a couple of reasons.

First, it's attached to the TV, which everyone already uses. Second, the controller is familiar in design to a TV remote (which everyone already uses). Third, the news and weather channels are easy to access and will likely be more convenient to check than booting up the computer (Wii is supposed to boot in a few seconds, like DS). If Billy gets a Wii, and shows Mommy and Daddy how to check the news and weather, there's a decent chance they'll use it, or at least ask Billy what the forecast is from time to time, and then come into the TV room to see what comes up on the screen. The point is that people who don't game will become for familiar on one level or another with a gaming console.

Also, think of it this way: even if the Boomers and old folks don't start playing games, the gaming generation is approaching its mid-thirties, which means they are truly growing up. Many of them are still interested in core type games, but as they mature, so do their interests and let's not forget that they're having kids now, which means they'll want games and software that is friendly for the whold family, something Nintendo is trying for.

You need to realize the broader scope of what Nintendo is doing, and understand that you are no longer the sole target market.

There's no real precedent here for what Nintendo is doing with its technology, direction to gaming as a whole, and approach to expanding the market. It's easy to say something like that will fail miserably. In any case, I don't really care if Nintendo is successful or not with this venture. I mean I hope they are successful because Nintendo is a unique voice in the gaming world and I want them to continue in spite of any kind of reception, but their monetary success isn't as important to me as their creative success on a personal level. If they fade away from this attempt at innovation and fresh direction, then so be it. I'm not looking to predict failure or to shower with fanboyish praise. All I'm hoping for are new ways to interact and engage. The potential for something new is good enough for me and many others. Only when I can positively confirm that the potential was definitively squandered will I jump on the Nintendo bashing bandwagon.

This argument really just boils down to a matter of outlook you carry with you in life.

Success of failure, does it really matter? How many of you will buy one? Or how about the fact that the pr-orders for amazon.com sold out within hours after the date and price was said. So what does that tell you? You can be optimistic and say that the public is really looking foward to this system. Or you can say that amazon wont be getting that many systems or thatFan-Boys rushed the online store. Regardless of what is being said here Nintendo will not be going anyware. In the gaming industry there are only about 3 companies that will not die out that I know of. Capcom, Nintendo and EA. Becasue they stick to their guns and only change when they need to. And when the change everyone changes with them.

I agree with Luda on this one.....As it seems that the Wii will truly change the way games are viewed and played........I mean, just look at what happened after their new controller was shown for the first time......Doesn't it seem weird that Sony showed up with their "tilt" controller (i think that is the name) and then Microsoft's head man says, during E3, that they plan to bring a more "simplistic" controller to their systems.....I mean, that says alot about how Nintendo is looking to stand tall....and as for games, well, they've got them coming........Anybody that needs proof of that needs to go over to our Wii section and check out the list:banghead: