Why the 360 overheats...

Computers pull much more than that, but the laptops that always love to overheat do so because they make them so small and unable to take the strain of pulling so much juice. Thus overheating.

BCampbell said:
Um... 3 prongs usually just means it's grounded.

As far as I know 3 prongs generally means the device uses a lot of power. About the cooling, I'm not sure, I would have to believe it doesn't cool itself enough/properly (or maybe its about to blow up). My game discs get pretty warm after only about 30 min. or so.

Uhhhh.....they had a similar problem with the original Xbox......I never paid attention to it......but then i read that some of the originals were overheating and some were catching fire....So immediately i ordered my new, free power supply.....That new one was alot bigger than the original as well......

I heard that, but my Xbox never had a overheating problem. I could play for hours and the discs never got hot. That replacement cord is nothing compared the the 360 one though. You'll see.

Yeah, we all know early PS2 models were pretty defective. But an early model Xbox would burn your house down.

As far as the wiring goes, two prong plugs have only black and white wires for hot and neutral. Three prong has black, white, and ground. The grounded one is just safer, you know, like when lightning runs in on your house. There is no extra juice supplied by an additional wire.

Well, it's a correlation, not a causality. Electronics that draw more power are more susceptible to power fluctuations and they're more dangerous, so it's smart to ground them. But the ground prong doesn't automatically mean a peice of equipment draws a lot of power, and really has nothing to do with the power draw at all.