Where is everyone?

Yidna

Registered
Feb 6, 2015
Many many years ago, I started out in the MMO business via MapleStory. Given that I was a young child at the time, that's where the internet lived. Nowadays, it's a dying game and my childhood self would be wondering where everyone went. So here I am, polling the internet, finding out where everyone goes.

What does everyone play nowadays (particularly MMOs)?
I like to get stuck on games but it seems lots of people migrate from one to another. How many of you all stick to a game? How many of you jump around playing everything? Where is everyone?

I've kind of been wondering the same. It seems to be Minecraft at the moment, but apart from that, I really don't know where people have gone. The Internet is apparently growing, but is it possible people are limiting the Internet's potential; for example, only using social networks and media, rather than joining communities?

I don´t really drift from one MMO to another. I played UO from about launch until the Age of Shadows expansion, which was about 5-6 years. I then bounced a bit trying AC, then EarthnBeyond before settling into WOW shortly after launch. WOW is definitely a great game, but it has never touched UO in terms of addictivness or fun.

I've kind of been wondering the same. It seems to be Minecraft at the moment, but apart from that, I really don't know where people have gone. The Internet is apparently growing, but is it possible people are limiting the Internet's potential; for example, only using social networks and media, rather than joining communities?

Wow, Minecraft is still up there? I've been playing that game for over 4 years now. I've generally stuck to local smaller servers with friends and the such, and the only public one I've joined has been steadily declining. Hard to believe! But then again, Microsoft.

I don´t really drift from one MMO to another. I played UO from about launch until the Age of Shadows expansion, which was about 5-6 years. I then bounced a bit trying AC, then EarthnBeyond before settling into WOW shortly after launch. WOW is definitely a great game, but it has never touched UO in terms of addictivness or fun.

Do you still play UO, or has WoW, with its less addictiveness and fun, managed to take you away anyway? :p

Oddly enough, I think most of my friends have gone back to Maple Story one time or another, for a few weeks at least before dropping it again. I tend to stick with games a bit after I really like them/they have good endgame content. I played WoW and GW/GW2 for a few years each. I've stuck with LoL for like 3-5 years, and I'm still playing it, though it's not a MMO. I don't usually play with RL friends, but the ones I've made in game usually move on before me which leads me back to being a recluse because making new friends is hard after having a group for so long :(

Oddly enough, I think most of my friends have gone back to Maple Story one time or another, for a few weeks at least before dropping it again. I tend to stick with games a bit after I really like them/they have good endgame content. I played WoW and GW/GW2 for a few years each. I've stuck with LoL for like 3-5 years, and I'm still playing it, though it's not a MMO. I don't usually play with RL friends, but the ones I've made in game usually move on before me which leads me back to being a recluse because making new friends is hard after having a group for so long :(

Oddly enough, I've never actually played WoW (except I got to like, level 7 when I was like, 6 years old visiting my uncle) or GW/GW2. I'm a League player as well, started really getting into it during Season 2. What's your summoner name? Maybe we can play a few games! Yeah, it's really hard getting all your friends to stick with you and move on together. Everyone's different :(

PS. I actually did not notice we both started our replies with "Oddly enough" until I looked up at your reply again

Oddly enough, I've never actually played WoW (except I got to like, level 7 when I was like, 6 years old visiting my uncle) or GW/GW2. I'm a League player as well, started really getting into it during Season 2. What's your summoner name? Maybe we can play a few games! Yeah, it's really hard getting all your friends to stick with you and move on together. Everyone's different :(

PS. I actually did not notice we both started our replies with "Oddly enough" until I looked up at your reply again

I never minded that much because I tended to play by myself for long periods of time in the beginning. You just have to get used to enjoy playing by yourself again, which only takes me a few days/weeks. I know this sounds really mean, but I only play with gold+ if they're not IRL friends or friends of friends. I get too aggravated playing with people who don't know how to play somewhat well so I rather not play with them than silently fume, lol. You can pm me your summoner name if you are gold or higher and we can play a few games though I only ever play a few games a week now lol. I don't mean to sound elo-ist but I just wanna save us both the headache :<

I never minded that much because I tended to play by myself for long periods of time in the beginning. You just have to get used to enjoy playing by yourself again, which only takes me a few days/weeks. I know this sounds really mean, but I only play with gold+ if they're not IRL friends or friends of friends. I get too aggravated playing with people who don't know how to play somewhat well so I rather not play with them than silently fume, lol. You can pm me your summoner name if you are gold or higher and we can play a few games though I only ever play a few games a week now lol. I don't mean to sound elo-ist but I just wanna save us both the headache :<

Haha, I was Gold last season, placed in Silver this season. But I can say that I've beaten Masters and Diamond (ranked) in-lane before :3. And I know how you feel, what with the silently fuming. I've been playing with friends who just started playing and of course, they don't really know what they're doing. Good thing they're more or less carryable!

I think the remaining MMO players are now trying every new game that's coming out, hoping for a breath of fresh air. If they're not, then they're probably playing WoW or EVE Online. I don't think other MMOs are getting a good amount of fresh players like WoW and EVE are.

I think the remaining MMO players are now trying every new game that's coming out, hoping for a breath of fresh air. If they're not, then they're probably playing WoW or EVE Online. I don't think other MMOs are getting a good amount of fresh players like WoW and EVE are.

I have heard of EVE Online, though I've never played it. There were newstories describing the politics of the game and how a lot of people are very devoted to that game. I think one of the stories I read was about someone who infiltrated a guild/clan/something and was undercover for a few months before stealing a lot of things from the aforementioned group. I've never been the type to get super invested in a game so it amazes me what people would do in games to screw over other people for their own benefit.

I have heard of EVE Online, though I've never played it. There were newstories describing the politics of the game and how a lot of people are very devoted to that game. I think one of the stories I read was about someone who infiltrated a guild/clan/something and was undercover for a few months before stealing a lot of things from the aforementioned group. I've never been the type to get super invested in a game so it amazes me what people would do in games to screw over other people for their own benefit.

My uncle plays Stronghold Kingdoms and he talks a lot about screwing other people over for their own benefit. That game is basically a whole bunch of factions/guilds/houses trying to take over areas of countries. In the interlude of all-out war, they like to sack small villages, steal from keeps, and yell at people to go kill themselves. There have been many cases of betrayal and ruthlessness from house to house, and people communicating with rival houses is just toxic. One of my uncle's scouts intercepted communication between two members of a rival house and apparently they spoke like normal civilized people. Really causes one to think...

I admit I haven't been interacting much with MMO communities, however. I've been playing a lot of Skyrim, LoL, and school, and therefore have only been interacting with my friends. Wow, I created a thread asking where everyone else went and realized that I've been gone too :O.

I've been everywhere. From early UO Beta, to EQ1 BETA/Launch, I've been around MMOS since early 96'-98' online, even going back as far as playing "MUDs" or multi user dimensions, coded in smaug. Those were fun too.

I've been drifting for awhile. You name it, I've probably played it at least until a max character (or halfway on some i admit), but I've played so maaanny I've lost track. Western MMOS. EASTERN MMOS (Japanese and Korean, some Chinese but fewer of these since they were the same thing hashed over) I tried hopping from one game to game to find a place I could fit in and belong, and usually I did - guilds, and the like.

But after a time each game found people logging out and not coming back, and when the crowd died rather than stay on, I'd jump ship to find a new game. I needed constant entertainment. I still do, but my desktop is down and I can't use it. Working feverishly online to get it back up and running and then get a decent job to start up again.

Last one I played was last April. I'm so far gone I miss it like a fond memory. It was FFXIV, ARR. I loved my Summoner. Square-Enix has a winner, and that game was it.

I guess it's a mix of change in demographics' age and interest. The people who grew up making the MMO communities grew up and started having jobs, families and other obligations and started to move on in their lives. Then there's also the fact that interest isn't all there as much as it used to anymore. There will always be MMOs, don't get me wrong, but the industry is slowly trying to change gears in order to survive.

As to other games, people get bored easily which is why they go off and do other things. However some come back and others don't. It's all about individual interest and how much commitment they can make.

I've been playing WoW on and off for years now. I dabble in other MMOs and MMORPGs, depending upon what I feel like doing at the moment. I tend not to stick to a single game for too much time for whatever reason. I get bored pretty quickly, no matter the game. There are a couple of intriguing MMOs coming out soon that I'm pretty excited for, though.

I was completely devoted to Lineage 2 since closed beta until Interlude. Then I played some Runescape. Then I jumped to Guild Wars 2. Nothing compares to my first MMO experience and I always come back very few years. I played for the community and the current state of L2 retail makes me sad.

I'm waiting for Blade and Soul to be released in the US, but until then DotA is the only game that keeps me playing.

If I don't play online games, I've been emulating alot lately. I've been playing old PS1 games on my PSX emu, like Legend of Legaia, Legend of Dragoon, FF7/8, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and plenty more.

I guess it's a mix of change in demographics' age and interest. The people who grew up making the MMO communities grew up and started having jobs, families and other obligations and started to move on in their lives. Then there's also the fact that interest isn't all there as much as it used to anymore. There will always be MMOs, don't get me wrong, but the industry is slowly trying to change gears in order to survive.

As to other games, people get bored easily which is why they go off and do other things. However some come back and others don't. It's all about individual interest and how much commitment they can make.

Yeah, I considered that too. I personally feel like my age group is on the edge of this. When I first started MMOs, I noticed most people were quite a bit older than me, and it makes sense that they're all grown up now. I miss them ;-;...

If I don't play online games, I've been emulating alot lately. I've been playing old PS1 games on my PSX emu, like Legend of Legaia, Legend of Dragoon, FF7/8, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and plenty more.

Sounds like nostalgia. Did you grow up with those games?

I was completely devoted to Lineage 2 since closed beta until Interlude. Then I played some Runescape. Then I jumped to Guild Wars 2. Nothing compares to my first MMO experience and I always come back very few years. I played for the community and the current state of L2 retail makes me sad.

I'm waiting for Blade and Soul to be released in the US, but until then DotA is the only game that keeps me playing.

Yeah, first loves are hard to let go of :p

I've been playing WoW on and off for years now. I dabble in other MMOs and MMORPGs, depending upon what I feel like doing at the moment. I tend not to stick to a single game for too much time for whatever reason. I get bored pretty quickly, no matter the game. There are a couple of intriguing MMOs coming out soon that I'm pretty excited for, though.

I've always been wary of new MMOs. I notice they tend to attract spammers/bots/hackers/toxicpeople. When you say WoW on and off, do you always finish the monthly subscription before going 'off'?

I think part of the reason why you don't see the same crowds as before is because there is so much variety in the market these days. Compared to 10 years ago, there are just soooo many games to choose from. On top of that, it seems a lot of games are more "pick up and play" and "casual friendly" then they used to (not all games of course!). I think this makes it easier to jump games because you don't feel as punished for starting over and don't "lose" as much by changing games.

Many MMOs are dying, sadly. I used to play Runescape but quit after they changed many things about the game, including removal of the Wilderness, preventing free trade and introducing microtransactions.

Nowadays it seems like people prefer instant gratification, playing multiplayer games that last an hour or two at most (MOBAs, FPS games and RTS games come to mind.)