Video Game Violence

when I was in high school the "anarchist's cook book" and the "terrorist's handbook" were banned because people were afraid someone would actually do the stuff listed inside.

Of course I had one. And no, I made no bombs or napalm.

i got in an arguement about this subject with a drawing teacher i had back in college, cus she interupted me and a friend's conversation on resident evil 2's trademark, "shotgun head splatter" thing. it turned into this whole class disscussion that had nothing to do with the class.

if i see someone's head explode in a videogame, and think "wow, that was pretty cool", there's no way, as a rational human being that i would have the same reaction if that happened in real life; and for some reason, some people have a hard time understanding why, which makes me question their sanity.

there's also that argument that since we're "virtually committing murder", that somehow makes us capable of doing it in real life, which is total bs.

i don't know, i guess i'm just jaded because i just got a ps2, and i can't find a copy of GTA: san andreas, ANYWHERE

General, you continue to amaze me. In a bad way. I will judge bad parenting because I've seen the effects of it. Anyone who's ever been a kid with parents of any sort knows to some degree how good or bad their parents did. As a teacher, I saw the results of good and bad parenting. I still do when I work with the youth group at church (and those are SUPPOSED to be good kids). Kids will be kids, but those with permissive parents are horrible.

And just so there's no confusion, permissive parenting is when mommy and daddy give Junior or the little Princess anything they want. All the kid has to do is throw a tantrum and they get it. Also, whenever their little angel breaks the rules or makes a complete jackass of themselves and their parents, the punishment is "no, no. let's not do that" or something else equally ineffective. Without consequences (and by that I mean punishment of some sort), the kid doesn't learn right from wrong. It breeds disrespectful, irresponsible brats who never take responsibility for their actions, always blame others, and feel they are owed an easy life, wealth, or easy relationships.

BCampbell said:
What? Does this mean that since you're not gay it's not right for you to judge gay people?

pwned.jpg

Awww come on Spuds you know I don't like that stuff.

I'm partciularly impressed, though, with the insinuation that:

You can't judge a rapist unless you've raped someone
You can't judge a murderer unless you've murdered someone
You can't judge a politician unless you hold a political office

etc. etc. etc.

Hey, I'm all for walking in someone else's shoes before judging them, but that's a metaphor, it means that you should mentally consider someone's position before judging them. You don't actually have to be in the exact same situation as someone else.

I realized something last night when I was working with our youth group. Kids have a much better understanding about the world than we do. I'm not talking about how to manage money and all the other stuff those of us not in school have to deal with. I'm speaking of their simple way of viewing things. Adults tend to make things gray and complicated. Kids see it as black and white, right and wrong. Bad men need to be punished. People need to be nice to one another. And my favorite, their complete confusion over why adults appear to have so little fun. Generally speaking, they don't take the stresses of school home with them unless forced to, they don't worry about IF they're having dinner, and they can't stand to watch the depressing news.

Darth Jonas you must be speaking of the unintelligent kids that don't have a care in the world because I and many students do worry about those things. I do take the stresses of school home with me, I'm constantly worried about my grades, if I'm going to do good on a test, and yes of course, how school is going to effect my future. I also view many world issues in my opinion like gas prices, immigration, and nation relations. To this end, all I ask is that you don't suggest that thats how all kids naturally view the world. WE'RE NOT ALL SIMPLE MINDED LIKE MOST UNEDUCATED AMERICANS IN THIS COUNTRY!

That brings up another issue that has crossed my mind, uneducated adults and cultures. For instance, why are there so many adults that haven't gone to college or isn't trying to go to college. They been told their whole life that an education will get you far in life. Yet many adults don't even try to get an education, many of them have't even finished high school. Another issue that really gets to me is how many blacks believe that white people owe them something(I'm not white I'm Mexican/American so I'm not speaking for the white people). In fact, black people were lucky to be slaves at the time. Blacks actually had better lives than the Irish and the poverty stricken people at that time period. So what if they worked for no money, at least they didn't go hungry for days, live in shanty towns, and die of diseases like the Irish people had to live. Irish people were considered barbaric people and we're barely looked higher than blacks, but were only offered jobs that even slave owners wouldn't have their slaves do. Slaves were very expensive and slave owners would take care of their slaves, give them food, medical attention, and some would give educations to the black children. Well I have top leave now but if anyone wants to more just post MORE INFORMATION or try to argue what I've said.I would like to know what you guys think of this.

Maybe he was talking of kids a little younger than yourself. Not entirely sure why you think lack of stress means someone isn't intelligent or educated but meh. In fact I would say it was foolish to worry constantly over things that you cannot change.

If an adult is happy in their job, why should they go to college to learn things that they don't need to know.
Grades are used more as measure of intelligence and effort. An office isn't going to care what you know about geography.. but if you excelled in that subject it'll make you look like a good employee because you listened, learnt and worked hard. Don't know how it is in America.. but over here many people who have been in further education get careers in fields unrelated to their area of study.

I don't understand the logic of people of one race believing another race owes them for events which happened way in the past. Simply can't see how people can hold current generations responsible for what their ancestors did. Anyway..as American history ain't my forte I won't get into whether slaves were properly fed or given medical attention (probably varied from place to place anyway) but I'll just say that being regarded as inferior and being treated as property must havebeen incredibly damaging psychologically.

Wow...yo Jason, the words black, slave, and lucky shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Trust me, you don't know how bad slaves had it. They were dragged out of their own country where they were quite happy. Then they were forced into ships where they were packed literally like sardines. And they didnt have friggin toilets! Except for a barrel here and there that only a few people could reach anyway. And women were having their periods too. Remember this is like a month long trip. So the stench and the heat made the ship unbearable and almost suffocated them. Many slaves died just travelling from Africa. That's what I call trauma.
And at the slave auctions, they were inspected like meat, and usually were separated from their families forever.
But you're right on one thing, their owners did take care of them. But when the owner didnt live on the plantation where the slaves were working (which was quite common), he hired overseers to watch them work. These overseers didnt give an F about the slaves, and they treated the slaves horribly. I would say more, but I have to go. Peace. :duck:

Oh, another thing. You know what I really don't get? The people involved with the slave trade. Many of them were supposedly Christian (even though their actions proved the opposite). So they and anyone else who heard about Moses, would have known that slavery was wrong and God didn't like it. So why did they do it anyway? Just goes to show how money-hungry people are. Oh life...

Solitudinarian said:
Here's a silly question. Does any rational person truly believe that video game violence translates into real life violence? if so, how could you possibly justify that argument? When was the last time you heard about a school shooting in Japan (arguably the largest producer of video games in the world, many of them violent, and many of those more violent than games produce in the US), where video game violence was blamed? Think about it, I'll wait.
I'm a true believer in that real life violence translates into video game violence...

I guess that I should really say is that video games are an outlet to vent off some steam, more safe, and more legal...

I do agree that small kids shouldn't play mature rated (and some teen rated) games, only bad parents use the PS2 as a baby sitter...

" MOM, I SAID I WANTED CHOCOLATE MILK ! ! ! "

Peace,

Last edited:
silent_storm said:
Wow...yo Jason, the words black, slave, and lucky shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Trust me, you don't know how bad slaves had it. They were dragged out of their own country where they were quite happy. Then they were forced into ships where they were packed literally like sardines. And they didnt have friggin toilets! Except for a barrel here and there that only a few people could reach anyway. And women were having their periods too. Remember this is like a month long trip. So the stench and the heat made the ship unbearable and almost suffocated them. Many slaves died just travelling from Africa. That's what I call trauma.
And at the slave auctions, they were inspected like meat, and usually were separated from their families forever.
But you're right on one thing, their owners did take care of them. But when the owner didnt live on the plantation where the slaves were working (which was quite common), he hired overseers to watch them work. These overseers didnt give an F about the slaves, and they treated the slaves horribly. I would say more, but I have to go. Peace. :duck:

I think this post should be renamed, ROOTS 2: the never-ending bullshit. Hey, did anyone here remember the mayflower? Couple month long trip with some pilgrims, you know. I mean, maybe they had flushing toilets, baths every day, and there wemon didnt have periods, BUT WHO KNOWS! And please, you act like Africa is a safe haven. People in Africa were constantly undergoing tribal wars, famines, diing of molaria, and uneducated to the point where they couldnt speak. We took them from Africa? WRONG! Blacks kidnapped blacks an sold them to whites for money.

And I especially love how Jason has to say hes not white for anyone to think hes not a racist who just saying it because hes white. The deal is, we brought blacks to a better world, gave them shelter, food, clothes, an education, and eventually freedom, and look at how they repay us. The ones that werent even slaves are STILL complaining! White people are the most discriminated in the entire world. Everywhere you go some Black guy calls you a "whity ass hoe" or a "honky" or a "cracks" or the mexicans call us "gringos". This is completely rediculous! And the Irish, what was done to them was terrible. It was HORRIBLE. The British took over part of there land, tainted there most sacred religion, and then to top it all off when disease runs through the patatoes, the Irish peoples main source of food, the British steal the good potatoes and the Irish die and are forced to make the long hard journey to America. They worked, sweat and blead, and now there a prominant people in the U.S. The reason we all feel bad for the blacks is because they still havent gone anywhere! They live on the streets, opps, I mean "hood" killing one another and not getting a job. The taxpayers pay for there wellfare and for 80% of the inmates in prisons that are black to stay in jail. So, next time you think about saying how blacks are oppressed victims, do some honest research.

Last thing. I was just wondering, would calling white people causcasian after the caucasian mountains in Russia be racist for saying all white people originate from there? And if so, would African American be racist beause blacks also come from Jamaica? pshhhh im out