VHS, still relevant in this digital age?

Solitudinarian

Registered
Mar 21, 2006
Denver, CO
Who out there still owns a VCR? My guess is most of you do. How many use it more than once every 6 months? I still have a VCR connected to every TV in the house, but I'm not sure why. But I do have a neat little cassette collection with some real gems (WMAC Masters, Reboot, MST3K) and I'll be damned if they'll be lost to antiquity any time soon. Will the vhs format last until the end of this decade; unlikely. Thoughts.

I still have a bunch of recorded 24 episodes that I havent watched yet...
I think VCR's will still be used until those DVD recorder things and TiVo are a lot more popular, cheap, and available.

silent_storm said:
I think VCR's will still be used until those DVD recorder things and TiVo are a lot more popular, cheap, and available.

Ditto. Every other night at my house my family records some show or another on VHS. It works. It's not the best system ever though because sometimes there are conflicting interests and suchlike. I don't watch that much TV though aside from the Simpsons, the Amazing Race, and 24 (but then again, I do only have local). Electronics stores will definitely stop selling them soon though, if they haven't already. I'm usually in the games or anime section when I go shopping, so I really don't know what's on the shelves with that kind of stuff.

Once my next day off from work rolls around I'll be getting a DVR installed, it's only $10 on top of the price of digital cable. Worth it in my opinion, after using it at other people's houses. I will probably pack away the VCR at that point (the $20 wonder that it is, gotta love shopping clearance), but there is one thing I do with my VCR that I can't with the DVR. I've recorded a ton of races from the Speed Channel On Demand that I have on digital cable, and I lend them out to all my buddies in a local car club. It's like our unofficial video library. I guess eventually it'll be just as easy and cheap to burn DVD's from digitally recorded content.

silent_storm said:

Yeah,the only thing I use for is record TV shows that I know I will miss. The only reson I haven't got a TiVo or DVR cuz of the cost

I'm getting TiVo. So I can tape the OC and 24 and some other stuff. But I will never get rid of my VCR for one reason. I have ppl who still have a VCR and when I do TiVo something, I can tape it to show them. And I DVD player is a dual VCR/DVD.

I think VHS will probably be around for a while longer simply because it's so widespread right now.