Too old to play games?

pwarbi

Registered
Mar 9, 2015
UK
While consoles and gaming is predominantly thought of as a teenage pastime, I also know lots of 'older' people that still enjoy gaming. I'm 37 and most of my friends are around the same age ands we all still enjoy gaming as much as we ever have, so I'm quite surprised when I mention to people that I don't know too well that I enjoy playing video games as their usual reaction is "aren't you a bit old for playing games".
Would you say there's a cut off point, age wise for video gaming or is that like putting an age limit on fun?

Nope, not at all. If I recall when Wii was a best selling console it so happened that retirement homes started to notice they could incorporate this low impact style of exercising in with the low impact style of exercising the older folks were used to. They also suggested it helped with memory & cognition. Oh, yea & they had fun.

It's just like any other hobby... Don't worry about it.

I know this will sound cliche but the people who say those things are probably jealous THEY don't have the time to play games themselves. It's an incredibly ageist thing to say. Gaming is no better or worse than golfing or collecting cars or whatever. I definitely agree that there's no cut-off age for fun.

Video games don't come with an age restriction for people who are over the age of 18. It is good that you can enjoy yourself by gaming because there are a lot of unhappy folks out there who will not even try to do something new such as gaming. You are never too old to game my friend.

Well, if somebody says that I'm a little too old to play games, I'm just gonna assume that they live tired monotonous lives where their significant other/family got them tied to a leash. It's that, or they haven't been introduced to the fun of gaming. Gaming is like drinking. You're never too old. But hey, that's just me... hehe

Last edited:
There is certainly not an age limit that you stop having fun with games. People enjoy playing games from their childhood and into their adulthood. When you grow up as a gamer, you will always be someone who buys and enjoys the newest games.

Reactions: jeffreyjose48
I agree. You're never too old to have fun. It's for any age. As long as the gaming doesn't take importance over things you need to do like chores job or sleep, you are fine.

Honestly, many of us grew up with these games being a hobby or a great fun past time. It's such an ingrained part of our culture, I don't see how anyone can say someone is too old to sit down and enjoy a good gaming session. Honestly, I think if parents would sit down and play some games with their kids, we would be able to better control what they are exposed to and be able to encourage a firm grasp of reality versus fantasy in this world gone mad.

Honestly, many of us grew up with these games being a hobby or a great fun past time. It's such an ingrained part of our culture, I don't see how anyone can say someone is too old to sit down and enjoy a good gaming session. Honestly, I think if parents would sit down and play some games with their kids, we would be able to better control what they are exposed to and be able to encourage a firm grasp of reality versus fantasy in this world gone mad.
A cut off point for video games? NEVER! I love playing video games in my free time. I actually have a plan to acquire the best video game console and game collection ever! I completely agree with you, by the way. If parents played games with their kids, maybe there would be more interaction between immediate family members, which is always a plus!

I don't see anything wrong with playing games when you're already old. Actually, my mom is now 55 years old and she still enjoys playing Plants vs. Zombies and Candy Crush on her mobile phone. I guess we're all young at heart.

I don't think so. People like what they like and having a standard for cutting off that enjoyment shows more nativity from the person enforcing it rather than the person just doing their thing. YOLO so do what you like as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

Well its good to see I'm not in a minority then. Like what's been said, gaming is something that we've grown up up with so it gets to be part of your life, granted just a small part but a hobby. And if its something you enjoy then why stop doing it?

While consoles and gaming is predominantly thought of as a teenage pastime, I also know lots of 'older' people that still enjoy gaming. I'm 37 and most of my friends are around the same age ands we all still enjoy gaming as much as we ever have, so I'm quite surprised when I mention to people that I don't know too well that I enjoy playing video games as their usual reaction is "aren't you a bit old for playing games".
Would you say there's a cut off point, age wise for video gaming or is that like putting an age limit on fun?
I think it is a good time to play among each other as friends. It is good that an age does not have any effect on how you perceive things like playing games. I have not played games for a long time since my mind is still focused on finding a job.

What's amazing to me is that it's been proven that older people improve their mental faculties significantly just by playing computer games. Handheld games were predominantly the most tested but I think it applies to all games. There was a granny in the news not too long ago; she was in her 90s and she still played GTA 5 frequently.

The notion that someone in his or her mid-to-late thirties is "too old" for video games is outrageously out-dated, misguidedly snobbish piffle!

Anyone who suggests such a thing is seriously out-of-touch with the past decade or two of the video game industry, which now dwarfs the film industry and caters to a very broad demographic including a wide swath of ages spanning from young children to teenagers to adults and even to senior citizens!

I find this "too old for video games" proposition highly analogous to- but even more ludicrous than- the "too old for comic books" proposition, as if their average readership and target audience were still ten year olds and not in the mid-twenties as it has been for decades now!

In both cases, one could see that a specific game or book is clearly meant for one children and there may be something a bit stunted about someone in their twenties and older enjoying it--but extending that label to the entire medium, which includes a great many titles clearly made for an adult audience? That's truly, outrageously ludicrous and out-of-touch by decades!

NEVER too old to play. I'm 48 and love Assassin's Creed and the Elder Scrolls series'. I also play casual games on the PC and a variety of mobile games. What is the point of being a grown up if you don't do what you enjoy?

I don't think there can ever be such a thing as too old to play games - or at least I hope not! That would be like saying you are too old to listen to music. As long as you get enjoyment out of it, it shouldn't matter how old you are.

I'm going to be 30 here soon. Too old? HAHA! That makes me laugh. My grandfather before he passed was 77, loved computers, and spent his retirement years playing video games, Age of Empires 2 being the one he predominately played all day. My father was a fan of Westerns and would play Red Dead Redemption just riding a horse around and seeing what sort of trouble he could find himself in, and my mother enjoys pokemon from time to time.

While I don't have the time to play games like I did when I was a kid, and I have to budget my time better, I don't think I'll ever be to old to play games.

I do not think you can ever be too old to play games, no matter what the game is!

It is all about what you like, you are not going to stop a young person from playing bingo, so why is it any different for an older person to play video games, it is pretty much the same thing.

I love video games and will continue to play them when I get to a very old age, which I can imagine by then the games will be hands free and even better than they are today!