'tis a sad, sad day...

Meggo the Eggo

Registered
Apr 4, 2006
northeast Ohio
www.yourfamilygames.com
I was haphazardly browsing the Internet, as I usually do, and stumbled across several links on Merriam-Webster.com. One of them led me to this:

mwpwned.gif

I know it's a user-made dictionary, but it's still sad that netspeak is encroaching on English in the dictionary. I mean, I know this is a long shot, but I can't help imagining seeing a children's book someday reading "Billy got really mad at Suzy and totally pwned her Barbie doll by ripping its head off." Also, I saw this as I continued my travels...

mwtoon.gif

Have any of you ever seen this usage of toon before? I have not. Usually in online games I've frequented people refer to each other as n00bs, weaklings, etc, etc. Just wondering.

Oh, and um, sorry about the large pictures. I don't know if that's a forum no-no or not. Someone please enlighten me. Thanks.

Oh, and I also didn't research the primary races/political stuff you see in the tabs to make myself look intelligent. It's a project for government, and I usually keep my knowledge of politics to a necessary minimum because politics tends to--how would you say that with the revamped M-W dictionary?--oh yeah, sux0r!

Whgy exactly is that sad? Isn't that a good thing, or a natural progression of the English language? Doesn't it verify the ligetimacy of video game and internet culture in the rest of society?

We already use many abbreviations and slang you'd never think of and likely use on a daily basis.

PJeigh said:
Whgy exactly is that sad? Isn't that a good thing, or a natural progression of the English language? Doesn't it verify the ligetimacy of video game and internet culture in the rest of society?

We already use many abbreviations and slang you'd never think of and likely use on a daily basis.

Yeah, progression of language is good. I just don't want the old words to disappear. There are some good adjectives out there, folks; don't forget 'em.

I'll admit I have picked up on some l33t just from browsing the internet and have thus learned to read it. However, I refuse to use it for communication purposes.