The Offical name for the Rev is reveled.

If you think about DS is a silly name for a handheld, if you do not know the context. I am guessing much like the DS, Wii is an acronym standing for something, and once we know what it stands for it might make more sense.

Though I am guessing the Japanese guys who came up with the name did not consider the American bathroom jokes that would result form the name.

It isn't an acronym for something. Wii is pronounced "we" for a sense of community. The two I's represent how all individuals can enjoy the Revolution (or the STUPID WII). It's supposed to be deep and meaningful, but ends up stupid.

The more I look at it the more I like it. However, the more I think about having to say it out loud the more I dislike it. It just doesn't sound like the name of a system. But on the flip side that could be the point of "Wii". Nintendo has pushed this idea of their next console being a "revolution" as far as the video game industry is concerned. Maybe they wanted to throw out the standard video game console name for the reason that they are doing something so completely different. Plus the whole "we" idea can include the online play connotations as well as the fact that Nintendo has always been more of a family company that incorporates a lot of fun games that everyone can play together.

I mean yah Wii=we unifacation yada yada...FUCK UNIFACATION! I WANT A FUCKING REVOLUTION!

That's how I kinda feel. But I think the humongous number of comedic uses for it more then makes up for that =D!

"Hey guys lets go play some WHEEEEEEE!!!"

*blank stares from friends* etc.

Hah, this name is going to get so out of hand here in the States that they'll have to rename it to something different here and have Wii as the designation for the rest of the world. Kind of like how it works with everything else in existence.

The Wii will score high marks in Japan. You might hate it, you might not buy it over a name, but, as the great bard once wrote, "what's in a name?"

Ha! Unfortunately, the great bard was wrong on that.

C'mon Hardcore. I gather you're a Christian -- don't you know your Bible? Names have power, they carry meaning. To name something is to be in part its creator.

Many cultures (perhaps cultures more enlightened than us) named their children with meaning, not heritage, because there is power in a name.

I'm bummed because I just orded a bunch of business cards for E3 with the title Revolution Editor on them. This could be a problem.

Wii Editor...going to take some time to get used to that.

Bit of a stupid name in my opinion... but then most names are if you think about them for long enough.

Say it isn't so. The Nintendo Wii? I'm not a big fan of the direction Nintendo is going in the next generation of gaming. I know I, among many others prefer the name Revolution to Wii. Seems Nintendo trying to be a little too eccentric in its developement and presentation of this new system.

Quite possibly. I mean, why would they announce it about two weeks before E3 when they've held out for this long? Unless they were just announcing it to see what the reaction was (and it's strongly negative) and then pull out a BAM! "We tricked you! ::shifty eyes::"