Talk about...

After waking up a little more this morning, I don't believe this one will pan out. Sony admitted nothing by commenting on a rumor. I don't know what their history is, but Microsoft never comments on rumors per company policy. No video rentals would ever be possible with the methods described.

Retail companies like Gamestop that thrive on used game sales would be super pissed if Sony decides to go through with this new anti-piracy strategy. The profit margin for used games is so much higher than new games, which is why chains like Gamestop are ALWAYS promoting used game sales and subscription discounts. The used game market likely has a lot to do with how Gamestop was able to eventually buy out EB Games.

Even more importantly, it would suck for gamers as well. Gamers wouldn’t be able to trade in games and (though I’m just guessing on this one) gamers wouldn’t be able to bring games over to their friends since it would be a one game disc per one console system. This just sounds almost too strange and stupid to be true at this point. I wouldn’t be surprised, however, considering how badly Sony has been messing up lately.

Nonetheless, most of this is conjecture at this point. I’ll wait until Sony makes the final announcement, at which point they will effectively have dug their own virtual graves.

They ( Phil Harrison and Ken ) said the PS3 is more like a PC. Question when did the home console market become the PC market? The fact there was a difference was good. Mashing both together is not good. Look at the outcome of it with this rumor. I'm not a PC person never have been. I really can not stand playing games on a PC ( Grim Fandingo and Doom was great though) that is why I enjoy my console. I wanna just play games nothing more. I will say that the DVD aspect was a good idea, even a HDD. But do you really need music on your system? Really if you have a entertainment HUB with DVD, CD, Cable, Game Unit, why do we have music on our 360's?

So far Sony is making the wrong mistakes and the system is not even out yet. These Rumors may not be true but still the information we have Sony is not doing so well. It looks like MS has proven that they can compete with Sony here in the States. And the add Wii poses a big threat for the number spot in Japan. I wanna see how long Sony can stay on top with there price tag of 500 - 600 and all the rumors that linger.

Uhh...Sony is doing fine. They're still the most anticipated console in Japan. And you're fooling yourself if you think they won't do well in America and Europe as well.

You know I'm sure Sony will do well. I mean 1 million systems for the US is not a hard sell. I'm talking once they have enough systems as to where You walk into a store and say I want a PS3, Wii, or 360. How many PS3's will sell with a price tag of $500 - $600 compared to the $400 360 with simalr games or a $200- $250 Wii with very unique games. Again it comes down to Price and who has the software. hardware is not whats gonn sell the system I don't care who you are. Ask your self why or what's the reason for a PS3. And so far to me. Sony has neither at the moment for it's 6 million by March. Also Nintend stated that they will try the 6 million systems by March. Now which do you think will sell faster?

One million? That's grossly undercutting the 25 million, minimum, that will sell.

And I hate to tell ya, but between the Wii and the PS3, the PS3 just craps all over the Wii when it comes to games.

I'm talkin launch. The fact that the US will see 1 million by the time we hit March I can see Sony selling outta those easy. If a store gets 2-3 a store, yeah that will sell easy. But just wait till around chritmas time next year once Inventory is high on all systems. I'll sit in a GS and Count how many PS3 vs a 360 or Wii leave out the Door. If Sony can think that the Playstation Name will sell something at $600 then good for them. I think they can do it IF the market right. They did not do that with the PSP and look at it's sales but they may get the hang now.

Hahaha. One million at launch may be an overstatement, then. But the PS3 is, by no means, going to be well-stocked for Christmas time. And the PS3 isn't JUST the Playstation name. It's going to be the Playstation name that's accompanied by Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Tekken 6, Final Fantasy XIII, Assassin's Creed, and an assload of other games that simply will be great. The PS3 has the best lineup of games, and most people are going to ignore the pricetag, and even if that isn't the case, they'll wait until the price drops because there's an incredible number of excellent games inbound. And really, there's a world of difference between the PS3 and PSP. It isn't an acceptable comparison.

spudlyff8fan said:
And the PS3 isn't JUST the Playstation name. It's going to be the Playstation name that's accompanied by Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Tekken 6, Final Fantasy XIII, Assassin's Creed,

None of theose games are no where near Launch. FFXIII will take about 2 years to drop. DMC4 has not date have yet to here about that game, MGS4 date may change and no clear date maybe March or 7/7/07. Tekken 6 When. Assassin's creed give me a date.

And I know thats funny 1 million at launch. But I bet 1 million by March. Which is what I ment to say, and I thought I said that. Anyway. Count your self lucky if there is a price drop next year. It'sll take atleast 2 for a price drop. But it may come faster if the systems wont sell. So the line up your tlaking about is the Future. We can go back a forth for days, ( I read your post). Thing is the futre is not set for any system. But for right now and you can not disagree with this Sony has a BIG fight for Number one. This will not be a easy win for them this time around.

Well, they're probably going to release the consoles in small batches so they can maintain the hype while also buying time for the manufacturing costs to go down. And I don't think that Sony will be #1 this generation. But they'll still make WADS of money.

I gotta bash Sony for this one. This may be the End for Sony. I don't think that Sony is doing anything right with the PS3. Every step they have taken is ending up to not be good for the consumer. Here's the problem I see with the PS3.

- Price point is still to high for the avarge consumer or even gamer. $600 is a lot of money no matter if you have it or not. Remember that $600 is just for the system no games and tax is not included.

- Game price, of $70 - $80. That price is steep and we all know it. Then to top it off NO USED GAMES OR TRADE IN"S. This is by far the bigest mistake. Becuse now you are forcing the consumer to olny buy games they like and want no trying out a game. Or letting a friend boroow a game. Those were reasons why Sony did so well, becuse you were able to give it a shot try something. But this can make you turn your head the other way.

- HDTV, I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that you must have an HDTV in order to play the PS3. Now again forcing you to buy something that is not consumer friendly. HDTV's are good but the price of them are not consumer easy. Then you need a certian HDTV for it to work.

There may be other problems but to me those are the bigest and it may mean the end for Sony like it or not. They are truly on the last leg. The price and al the other little problems and rumors that are present, will end up hurting Sony. No matter what you think ( Even You Spud) Not many of us will get the system due to this issues. True it's all about the games, but The games need to be appeling to the public for it to work. The Gamecube had nice games but it was not appeling to the public so it did not so well. This may be the end for Sony if they can't pull of a magic trick last minute, We will see on Nov 17.

When you're working semi-regularly, an extra 100 bucks isn't that much, Luda. The games COULD end up being $70. And it's still nothing but an unsubstantiated rumor that there will be no used/rental games. And the HDTV-necessity is simply false.

PrinceLUDA21 said:
- Game price, of $70 - $80. That price is steep and we all know it. Then to top it off NO USED GAMES OR TRADE IN"S. This is by far the bigest mistake. Becuse now you are forcing the consumer to olny buy games they like and want no trying out a game. Or letting a friend boroow a game. Those were reasons why Sony did so well, becuse you were able to give it a shot try something. But this can make you turn your head the other way.

- HDTV, I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that you must have an HDTV in order to play the PS3. Now again forcing you to buy something that is not consumer friendly. HDTV's are good but the price of them are not consumer easy. Then you need a certian HDTV for it to work.

I would like to know some official information about the "no used or trade in" games. I've heard this rumor for nearly a week, but is there any substance to it? It makes no sense to include it in games since you would have to have a modded machine to play a copied game anyways. So why make it impossible to play used games? It cuts out their market of rental properties (if it don't work, Hollywood Video, Blockbuster and company won't buy them).

As for the HDTV, again it makes no sense for them to limit their product like this. I would like some official say on this as well.

Sorry about that. I did not provide any hard eveidence. I don't have any really, and again it's a rumor. What I do have is a Gamecrazy Manager who says they will not be caring used games for it. It may not be true. Thing is the fact that the PS3 is more PC like it can make since. t may or may not hold. But if so this will hurt Sony in so many ways.

The HDTV thing being false is a good thing. Still if that was to be true it would blow. But would any one agrue with the priceing. It is high for the avarge consumer. also I do think by launch some ppl who pre-Order the system will turn a way due to pricing of games and system.

I completely agree that the PS3 is overpriced. I also think that if it was a heads-up fight against Microsoft alone, that they would still stand a chance at coming out on top during this round of the console wars. However, with the Wii (I still want it to be called Revolution) hitting for below $250, Nintendo is giving Sony a whoppin' scoop punch. [make a scooping motion with your left hand, then slam your fist into it and you should understand]

Are there any other mistakes Sony is making for sure? I've heard there are others, but don't know what they are.

Whoa, that's a mighty big announcement about Sony... we may all be getting hyped up over nothing though. It wouldn't be the first time :p

I thought I heard somewhere Sony was taking a huge loss on each PS3 set that was in the neighborhood of $200 per system... they used the same tactics with the PS1 and PS2. (However, I don't know if the deficits for the previous PS were that great). They could be instating this "no trade" policy to help cover that up, and force consumers to buy more full-price games to encourage a greater profit from software. Then again, I'm no expert when it comes to all this money/marketing stuff (I actually hate it quite a lot XD).

p.s. my information on the ps3 deficit comes from the respectable Forbes magazine.

spudlyff8fan said:
Why do you have a hard time believing she's lying when it isn't even a realistic idea to start with?

You misunderstood. I DO believe she's lying. The Sony Europe reps aren't the top dogs.

Last edited:
Ninja_Bee said:
You misunderstood. I DO believe she's lying. The Sony Europe reps aren't the top dogs.
I know what you said. But it's just an idiotic rumor to start with. It just isn't gonna happen.