Suikoden Tactics

spudlyff8fan

Super Senior Staff
Registered
Jun 23, 2005
somewhere
I like Nippon Ichi as much as the next guy, but I've been really wanting a somewhat traditional tactics title. Now I have it. And it is good.

Out of Phantom Brave, Disgaea and La Pucelle, all three of them have only a handful of real characters, the rest are just creatable stock characters. Also, the storylines are never really interesting, they're usually just goofy.

Well, aside from Phantom Brave, they all have the standard grid thing. Suikoden uses the La Pucelle element thing, but it has a crapload of random other elements from tactics games to make one kickass game.

I am not a huge fan of the Suikoden series. Will I be lost if don't play the series. Or is this sort of a Final Fantasy Tatics like thing? Where it has no basis on the actual series other then trying to leach off the name recognition.

1) As I've said, Final Fantasy Tactics is easily the best Final Fantasy, FFVIII and all subsequent ones should be leaching off FFT's greatness
2) Tactics is a sequel to Suikoden 4
3) You can play Tactics without playing 4 and still appreciate the story and characters, but it contains many spoilers, and some of the early events are much more appreciate-able if you've played Suikoden 4.
4) Suikoden 4 is a good game, so if you're bored and want an RPG, I'd say it's a good pick up...not as good as 3, but if you're interested in Tactics you should probably just get 4.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is a killer game. If you are a tactics fan, you need to own that game. And I am eagerly awaiting the new Vandel Hearts for the DS.

FFTA was a cheap shadow of the worst aspect of the original! FFT was so immensely, jaw droppingly, infinitely better it isn't even funny!

Yeah I haven't played FFTA but from what I've read it sounds worse than FFT. FFT is one of only two games that I still have original PS1 discs for. As it ages, it loses some of its shine for me (there was so, so much job level grinding, and it was possible to be literally stuck at some points if you don't have the right/good jobs and skills), but it still stands up well. I think the old SHining Force games have aged better, but there are very few "classic" tactical games and FFT is bound to be one in most people's books.

I would have to agree with BC on this. (Damn I have been doing this a lot lately. I need to take another break from this place). While the storyline was OKAY and the job class system was infinitaly better then it's predececsors I wouldn't say it is the best tatics game to date.

Granted I have only played a few of theShining Force games...but shrug.

Very few people would have picked up FFT if it hadn't had FF tacked on to the title. If it had been Generic Stand Alone Title Tactics it would have been a sleeper, and few would have played it. Don't get me wrong I love the game. But, I am realistic about it's origins.

I only played a total of 20 mins of FFTA.

So, if I get you right spud. pick up 4 and play it THEN play tatics?

Indeed. If you have an interest in Suikoden Tactics, you should at least try to buy and beat Suikoden IV. Not only does it make the story more understandible, but you also unlock new stuff by getting all 108 Stars. But if you just want to pick up and play ONE RPG, you should go for Suikoden 3. Here's my Suikoden IV review http://www.mygamer.com/index.php?page=gameportal&id=243642

The thing about it is Suikoden 3 has a much more innovative battle system and character customization system, but the thing is you won't know what the hell is going on in the story unless you have played Suikoden 1 and 2...otherwise lots of the revelations have much less shock value.

As for FFT. The job system was excellent, in no small part due to the fact you could use all the skills from other job classes, like the Counter and Movement skills, that made the characters so damn customizable. The storyline was really, really great though, but you really can't put it together unless you play it a few times through, but it is lotsa politics and politicians, but it boils down to Delita quitting the Hotuken Knights after his sister dies, joining up with the Murond Glabados Church, assassinating a few of his superiors, arranging Larg's and Goltana's death, faking Orlandu's death to gain Olan's support, distributing the Holy Stones so that Ramza would end up killing all the Shrine Knights, leaving him as the undisputed King of Ivalice by marrying Ovelia. Anyway, Final Fantasy Tactics was released around 1997, in limited quantities, so it really didn't sell THAT well. Around 2000 or 2001, they rereleased it. But I don't think it's sold all that many copies. But I do agree, any game that has a word that resembles Fantasy will sell great.