Star Citizen

Setari

Registered
Jan 18, 2015
Is anyone currently playing Star Citizen? I know it's been an extremely looked-forward to game for PC gamers. I recently looked into it and wasn't aware it was released, however at this point I looked around the website and found out that... a lot of the stuff they have on the website costs real money. It's almost like a video game for rich people.

I saw a thing on the website for a starship that cost over $300 dollars. I'd rather upgrade my SO's PC than spend money on a thing that could very well be hacked and taken away from me at a moment's notice, lol. More power to you if you spend money on that kind of stuff though, I suppose.

And they charge a subscription too, on 2 different payment levels with different bonuses for each one. I wonder how big their dev team is that they need so much money.

Anyway, for people playing the game, how is it? Do you recommend/not recommend it?

Some of the ships are getting very expensive. Star Citizen looks like a great game, and could really be the first one to change MMO´s from all being WOW-clones. That said, I am just getting frustrated with the developer for pushing back the launch date to add more content. Falling behind and delaying launch because you had some problems is one thing, but pushing back your release date because you want to add more stuff just is meh.

I think they need to focus more on getting the game out and less on adding more ships for people to buy. If they were adding more features it would be one thing, but they just keep adding more stuff to pre-purchase. I stopped following it for the most part because their newsletter just kept spamming new ships. Once its released I'll be glad, but until then there are plenty of other games out there to play.

There's really not much to critique now, as the game is in alpha. So no, I would not recommend getting it, because I'm fundamentally against pay-for-alpha/beta/early access. I do have a Star Citizen account, but it's because I got it as a gift. I played with it a little, and it's a pretty good space sim, if you miss stuff like Freespace, you will definitely love it. It IS a pretty hard game to master, though, especially without a flight stick. It aims to be pretty hardcore, and I can already see I won't be fighting too much in the game. But, as I said, early access is something I would not recommend to anyone, so...

I paid into it when it was first announced, but at this point I have a feeling that it'll end up being another take and run project. I'm glad that I only wasted $60 on it and nothing more because otherwise I'd be more irritated and angry. I've heard that it'll be released in 2016 but I've pretty much cut my losses on it.

I paid into it when it was first announced, but at this point I have a feeling that it'll end up being another take and run project. I'm glad that I only wasted $60 on it and nothing more because otherwise I'd be more irritated and angry. I've heard that it'll be released in 2016 but I've pretty much cut my losses on it.

How exactly would it be take and run, when the builds are getting updated every few months? I mean, it's not only that you can "see" the work being done, you can actually play it. :V

Well, this was like 3 years ago when they first started the campaign? I waited a bit for information on when the game would be complete and each update just seemed like it was pushed back more and more and the project needed more funding for this and that. Then after a while they came out with the builds, but by that time I was just sick of the project as a whole. I'm not a patient person in the least and good on them for updating but with the constant pushbacks on dates that's been going for 3 years- it's too much for me to keep up with interest. Just because a group pushes updates doesn't mean that you're immune from a take and run. I've seen so many kickstarters for games end up that way and I've gotten really jaded on the whole ordeal.