Riviera: The Promised Land

Meggo the Eggo

Registered
Apr 4, 2006
northeast Ohio
www.yourfamilygames.com
Anyone play this? (It's a goodie :D) I'm currently working on obtaining all the different endings of the game and all the extras, but with about 30 hours a play-through it'll probably take me a while. What was your first/favorite ending?

Riviera was a pretty decent game. One of those games that was released kind of under the radar. A sleeper hit. Altus is known for producing those types of games.

Haven't even heard of this game before, I'll be sure it check it out.

Yeah, if you don't have the money to buy it, you could probably rent it if you have 30-some hours to clock in on it before you have to return it. Actually, I'd probably go with buying it. I couldn't do everything I wanted in this game in a week.

Another great GBA game that is somewhat under the radar. The art style in Riviera is great and I really liked how my characters didn't start off the game as total weaklings. Originally I picked up this game just because it was loosely based on Norse mythology, but even after playing it and realizing that it is only slightly inspired by Norse myth I still enjoy it.

i bought htis game used and it has a great story and unique battle system. BUT... my gripes are big.
1- there are no random battles. you walk into a room and one/two monsters appear. after that nothing. u choose when to battle. this sucks!!!
2- you have no control over what you do. everything is to go here press left,right,up or down. this sucks. whatever happened to world maps and walking or travelling to the destination yourself.
3- you can't choose who to atck, i hear its up to the weapon...hmmm, aren't i controlling the weapon or does the weapon control me??
- and on top of that there is no real strategy. your teamate can't use a potion to heal you, u have to wait till its ur turn to heal that character.

my rating: 5.5/10 (The game tries a lot of new things but fails miserably. But it's still quite fun.)

RoDesignWeb said:
i bought htis game used and it has a great story and unique battle system. BUT... my gripes are big.
1- there are no random battles. you walk into a room and one/two monsters appear. after that nothing. u choose when to battle. this sucks!!!
2- you have no control over what you do. everything is to go here press left,right,up or down. this sucks. whatever happened to world maps and walking or travelling to the destination yourself.
3- you can't choose who to atck, i hear its up to the weapon...hmmm, aren't i controlling the weapon or does the weapon control me??
- and on top of that there is no real strategy. your teamate can't use a potion to heal you, u have to wait till its ur turn to heal that character.

my rating: 5.5/10 (The game tries a lot of new things but fails miserably. But it's still quite fun.)

Yay! Welcome to this edition of Point and Counterpoint ^_^ Grab some popcorn and have a seat.

1. Battles still maintain a degree of randomness, although they definitely aren't of the old school sort with a transition animation. You still know they're coming, but you don't know what rooms have monsters and what ones don't. I agree they aren't true random battles, but isn't choosing when you do or don't want to fight kind of a perk?

2. Saying you don't have control over what you do is a little extreme. You can still move about the environment even if it is restricted to four directions. You still get to see everything you need to for the game to progress (and the graphics are gorgeous, too, so quit yer whinin'!). Don't you remember stopping to check out the scene with TP and stuff? Wasn't that fun? Finding the random treasure chest with a trap? Eh?

3. Some weapons do have the "RaNdOm!" thing going on for them that you have to look out for. Some weapons hit front row, others hit back. That's why you want variety when you choose your four weapons before battle, and why you get to see your enemy's formation beforehand. It just makes the game a little more challenging. And remember challenging=good in games. :)

4. No strategy? d00d (<-prinny-speak, NOT leet), that's where your weapons come in! There are healing items other than potions that are more target specific (Ruby Staff, and I think there's a book that heals all... can't remember the name of it). You just have to find 'em and use 'em. The randomness and non-specific targeting of the weapons is what makes you have to plan a little more in order to do the most amount of damage, crank up your overdrive bar, and at the same time, take the least amount of damage from the enemy. It's all strategy.

Sorry, RO, I just don't agree with you... Riviera deserves way more than a 5.5.

I think you're afraid of change in games, too. (just conjecture, nothing offensive intended ^_^) Riviera was definitely not meant to conform to rules of genres that have been established by predecessors. To quote Pirates of the Caribbean, "hang the rules. They're more like guidelines anyway." :pirate: yaaarrrrh. *goes swashbucklin' away*

I'm a big fan of Atlus, they're one of the few companies who is determined to take risks and publish the kind of games they want, as opposed to the kind of games they think the average consumer wants. I haven't played this one yet but from what I've read and seen, it does look a little underwhelimg. Hey, I like it just as much as anyone when an RPG does things a little differently, but when you do that there's always the chance of failure. That's why we have so many games that use "traditional" mechanics; they're proven to work.

Maybe I'll rent it sometime, because I do end up enjoying off-beat RPGs -- Time Stalkers anyone? -- but this one really sounded haphazard.