PS3 to cost 900?

Sony is banking too much on BluRay. They are assuming that the playstation is going to push BluRay technology forward, like they did the DVD-Rom. But they are wrong. When the PS2 came out the DVD had been out for a year or 2 and people were already making movie DVDs and they saw all the advantages of the DVD upfront. When the PS2 came with a DVD player it was a bigger technological leap in america than when it released in Japan cause in Japan the VCD and the SVCD were the popular video formats but America was still using the VHS so when the PS2 came with a DVD player it was an incentive to buy the console. There is absolutly no market for BluRay and probally won't be for another few years, the PS3 is going to be the only home enterainment equipment that is going to use blu ray. Infact I highly doubt that BluRay is going to be sucessful period cause of how expensive it is to make.

money talks. And if they are counting on Blue Ray making the PS3 invaluable, I think they may be in for a rude awakening. Most people are just recently getting a DVD burner as a standard. DVD's are still very pertinent to our market. They aren't outdated yet. VHS was long overdue for a replacement, and CD wasn't strong enough. There must be a demand for it first. I don't think the demand is there.

You can't forget though. The PS2 didn't even have games on DVDs initially. Madden 01, Dynasty Warriors 2, and so on were all on those blue-back CDRs.

this whole blu ray thing is starting to get out of hand with sony. they are banking on it to take off. but apple has come out with a computer that uses blu ray.....well oviously computers will have it more in the future....so my coment on that was that the ps3 wont be the first home entertainment. the PC industry for some gamers is taking off....idk how exactly, but it is. and that blu ray will have some impact on graphics and what chips people get on there new updated computer for games....this particular pc only cost 1900 so thats preaty cheap when u think about a good computer with high priced blu ray....i enjoy it... i use one in school all the time. only problem is no flopy disk drive so u have to have a usb drive to use.

I hate gaming on my PC/Mac, so my first contact with blu-ray will most likely be with the PS3.

As long as it's not $900(CAD even...the original PS2 was like $500 CAD)...I couldn't afford a $900 gaming system for a couple of years (which is fine, it means that by the time I'll be able to buy it it will have more games support).