Occulus Rift

Goldie

Registered
Nov 10, 2014
I initially thought that Occulus Rift was basically TV monitors strapped to your head but now I realize it's probably a bit more complicated than that, but still I can't help but feel like it won't be very popular among gamers because I think most people just want to lay back on the couch and press buttons instead of moving your head and body, even though I'm sure there will still be some who do like it. Don't get me wrong, I think it will still make for a good product in other industries, but I just don't believe it will make as big of a splash in gaming as many people make it out to be.

What do you guys think of Occulus Rift? Are you excited for it? Do you see yourself using it just as often as you would your regular controllers?

I think it will be popular. The idea of being inside the game is too amazing for most people, nobody is going to use it for every game, but I think that a large number of gamers will purchase the oculus. I, for one will be purchasing the Oculus Rift when it goes to the Consumer Version 1.

I can't wait to have a true virtual reality experience.

Well it's definitely popular already, since a lot of big YouTube gaming channels have been using it. I actually don't see myself using Occulus Rift for a while, maybe when it's in all stores and the price is not that high, then maybe, just maybe, I'll get it to try it out, just to see what it feels like, but I don't think I would use it for playing casual games, where you're just used to a controller.

Although this technology could really be useful in other subjects rather than gaming. Like architecture, and planning machines/inventions etc.. because you'll be able to really feel the experience.

I feel that such technology is still in its infancy, but hopefully we'll get to see truly immersive virtual reality games in a decade or so!

I won't be using it in the short-term, but I think there will definitely come a time when I'll be using it quite actively once it's design is improved. I've heard some people getting sick by using it for more than 15 minutes just because of the design of it. People have complained that it gets hot very quickly which makes them both sweaty and dizzy.

Hopefully they'll be fixing this design issue soon, and after a few more iterations, I'll be getting more into it. Aside from that, I think it's a great invention. It's about time Virtual Reality came into video games we play! I can't wait for the days when we can start playing GTA V in First Person Mode on the Oculus!

I feel that such technology is still in its infancy, but hopefully we'll get to see truly immersive virtual reality games in a decade or so!
Yeah I think it would take a decade more before this technology is fully realized. For now we might only see it as a gaming controller but who knows what better uses we could discover in the future. Also of course it would be great that by then the head gear probably won't be as massive.

As someone who witnessed the complete failure of Nintendo's black-and-red, portable-in-name-only Virtual Boy back in the nineties, when the technology was truly in its infancy and the idea was so far ahead of its time that it was still essentially the domain of science fiction: I am quite excited indeed to see the technology finally catch up to the point that we finally do have a proper, relatively immersive virtual reality console with a full colour palette: the Oculus Rift! The broken promises of my youth are finally being delivered upon in my adulthood! :) :cool:

Although Nintendo is likely quite hesitant to dip their toes into the waters of virtual reality after the Virtual Boy's failure, I would like to see them deliver a proper, fully functional VR product to compete with the Oculus Rift! In particular, I can envision a pair of revamped, fully-and-properly functional Power Glove-esque controllers as the perfect controllers to complement such a VR experience!

I think it's definitely a step in the right direction. It essentially gives developers a new platform for gaming, which is good for the sake of diversity. the applications are also endless. Do you know that the military uses xBox controllers to pilot drones? Think about what they'll use with these babies.

I think it's great. Nothing tells you to buy it, but I think the expierence it gives you is incredible. Of course it needs some upgrading, but just like everything else, it will come with the right time. I'm all for it, hopefully will see more games/features of it very soon

With the HTC Vive announced among other VR startups, and Oculus Rift being bought over by Facebook I'm starting to pay more attention to other VR headsets instead.

Honestly, if it's going to be a household item then first they have to take care of the kinks, then they have to reduce that price. Right now, it seems way too buggy to actually be a usable device. Speaking of which, has anyone tried the Google box?

I think it's great. Nothing tells you to buy it, but I think the expierence it gives you is incredible. Of course it needs some upgrading, but just like everything else, it will come with the right time. I'm all for it, hopefully will see more games/features of it very soon
Yeah I usually wait for the new versions of a product before I dive into it because of this reason. I just prefer to have a more well rounded product before I make the purchase, not to mention it would probably be cheaper if you wait a while or at least even if the price remains the same you'd know you're getting something a lot more polished than the first version.

I think the Occulus Rift will be pretty popular. I honestly don't think it'll be the ground breaking technology a lot of people are envisioning, but I have a feeling it'll be another platform for people to develop games for, and eventually lead to another genre entirely that are developed specifically for the hardware. Sometimes, you just want to sit back, play a simple game and relax a little, but I'd imagine for those times you want to immerse yourself a little more in something (like a horror, or action game), then the Occulus Rift would be the perfect tool for the job.