Nintendo Fails

-_- wow. The incompetency is just... striking. Makes you wonder how they've been in business so long (Oh wait, PokéMon XD). So Nintendo doesn't have the brightest stars in the sky.

They'll come up with something, whether it be practical or insanely innovative--like a controller that harnesses solar power or leeches off the gamer's soul for energy. Eugh, wouldn't that be morbid?

... I dont think that Barr guy will be getting a raise anytime soon though.

Who cares about batteries. Get a pack of good ones and call it a day. Would you rather pay money for batteries, or $80 games, or $7 a month to play games. The battery thing is very very small.

PrinceLUDA21 said:
Who cares about batteries. Get a pack of good ones and call it a day. Would you rather pay money for batteries, or $80 games, or $7 a month to play games. The battery thing is very very small.
Those things are going to absolutely CHEW through batteries. You're going to be paying up to 2 dollars per hour playing the Wii in battery strength.

Wow, exaggerate much? $2 per hour?

I have a few electronic devices that use AA batteries and go through them fairly quickly, so I have a few rechargeable (not alkaline) batteries. $20 gives you all the juice you'll ever need. Maybe if you failed third grade because you can't do math you'll come up with a figure of $2 an hour, but not in the real world.

I don't really see this as a huge deal, the average consumer isn't going to care about this too much. People are used to buying batteries for remotes, end of story.

Sony walkman batteries are the best thing ever. I buy a pack of 4 for 3 bucks and I use them for everything. They last very long. I used some in a Discman for about 2 months ( about 4hrs a day, 5 days a week )

Thumbs up, BC. Sure, the Wavebird only lasts 8-10 hours, and the Wii sends over 100 times the amount of data, AND has a speaker, but yeah, sure, batteries are handed out for pennies now, and it DEFINITELY is an impossibility that the Wii can only get 3 or 4 hours off a couple of AA batteries, which cost anywhere from 4 to 8 dollars (8 dollars if you're at the mercy local convenience stores and college bookshops that gouge you almost as badly as forcing you to buy a battery pack seperately from a wireless controller). And yeah, the Wii's controller is, after all, a remote, isn't it? You sure showed me.

dude, just get a pack of rechargeables and a charger for like 20 bucks and you will always have a fresh pair waiting for you. I have a stock of rechargeable batteries. I invested in them about 2 years ago and I have not bought a new battery since... well I did lose a couple and have to replace them but other than that I am saying this is all trivial. And HD.... Yah, I totally don't even care. I probably will not own a HD tv until the next couple of rounds of new consoles anyways... probably not even then. Sounds too expensive for me.

Ehh...rechargable batteries and me have a pretty bad track record for electronics use. They're fine for remotes or clocks, but over time, they diminish in power and life, and it's pretty much guaranteed to, eventually, just get ya a solid 15 minutes of Wii time before needing a recharge. And even so, it's a $20 that there is no excuse for. There NEEDS to be a battery pack.

Well you can keep insisting that there needs to be a battery pack, that's fine. I agree that it would be a good thing. But come on, don't bring these crazy distortions in here. I have never, ever in my life seen a pack of two AA batteries for $8. You must be shopping in the only convenience store in Zimbabwe or something, and having them shipped to Antarctica. There are two Wal-Marts in every town and city in America, and you can get 20 batteries for $10 there.

Let me tell you a little story. I was in NYC once and desperately needed a pair of AAA batteries like right away. I stopped at the first shoes/clothing/fruit/cigarette/"off the back of the truck" electronics store I saw (you know, those kinds of stores that are on every block) to pick some up. You know how much a pair of AAA batteries were in NYC, the magical land of the price goging fairies and Cost of Living Adjustment elves? An even buck. So don't try to tell me that two batteries cost $8 unless you can scan a reciept.

And rechargeables dying over time? Yeah that's true, but it's true of any battery. Li-ion batteries, the kind that's in your DS and that would most likely have been in the Wii remote, have a lifespan of about three years and then need to be replaced. If you buy a four pack of rechargeable AA's and a charger for $10, I guarantee you they'll last longer, and even if they don't, you just buy more batteries for another $10. Go look at how much a replacement DS battery is, and then compare the $20 cost of buying eight rechargeable AA's against buying two Li-ion replacements over six years. You're good at math, so tell me which is cheaper.

Again, I agree that an internal battery would be better, it's more convenient and everything, but you're blowing this just a little out of proportion. Okay, more than just a little. This is not the "failure" of Nintendo that you're making it out to be; they've still got plenty of opportunities to make a colossal mess of this system.

BCampbell said:
I don't really see this as a huge deal, the average consumer isn't going to care about this too much. People are used to buying batteries for remotes, end of story.

BC is right, but I was really hoping for a sleek dock to plug the Wii-mote into.

On the other hand, if you're going to be using four Wii-motes at a time consistantly, that would mean you'd need 4 docks (or else your friends will be sitting around waiting for their Wii-mote's turn in the charger), which would get very pricey (say, at $35/ea.) compare that to rechargeable AA's.

Ok here is a thought. is the battery was rechargeable, then it would need a crod to the system. Kinda like the 360. But then it would not be a wierless remote. It's not a controller it's a remote. Your TV, DVD, Cable box, CD player remotes aren't rechargeable. So I think Nintendo want to go that route. It makes the system more non-gamer friendly.

Wait, isn't there a chance that the top developers at Nintendo will change their mind and decide to make their controllers recheargable or utilize lithium-ion batteries? I mean, when is the system being released? Is it very very soon? If the system is releasing in a couple of months then I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did what they always do, release a superior version of their product in a year or two, like all their upgrades to their handheld systems. I mean, it's possible, even if not likely.