Music-themed games over?

Trip608

Registered
Jan 18, 2015
With the Wii U focusing more on the Gamepad, is it safe to say that the fad of music and dance themes is over? There hasn't been a Guitar Hero or Rockband in years. Is there any way musical instruments or dancing could be integrated with the Gamepad?

I think the market became quickly oversaturated with the releases of Guitar Hero, Rock band, Rocksmith and DJ Hero in a relatively short period of time. The Just Dance game do till sell well but I think you are right that instrument based games in general have waned in popularity. I did read just the other day that Harmonix are supposedly developing Rockband 4 for the Xbox One and PS4's.

After digging around it also appears that a new version of Guitar Hero is also scheduled for release at some point this year in next gen consoles so maybe we are on the cusp of a second wave of instrument based games and a rise again in their popularity. DJ Hero was my own personal favorite of all the music themed games.

I think Guitar Hero is coming out with a new game soon. I doubt it would cause as much of a wave as they did at their peak though, but nonetheless it will probably be a welcome addition to all the people who already have the instruments and have been waiting for new releases for a while now, myself included.

Yup, Rock Band and Guitar Hero are both getting sequels. Dance and music games are still popular enough to warrant regular releases and expansions. The games are going to come to most platforms, including the Wii U, and there's really no surprise there. Various aspects of these games could be integrated with the GamePad.

Although it looks as though there will be new releases of Rock Band and Guitar Hero for PS4/XBOX One, there is no news about the potential for a new DJ Hero. Of all the music and dance related games that have been released, this is the one game that I would be most interested in buying an update.

I know that the dancing games are still going strong on the newer released gen systems, but I am really shocked to find out that there are new Rock Band and Guitar Hero games on the way. I had thought that I heard that they were shut down due to plummeting sales. I am actually pretty excited to see where they take the new games.

Yeah, the market got oversaturated pretty quickly, but I don't think the games are just dead. It just depends on the platform. Osu! is pretty popular on PC, there are few very popular rhytm games on Android, and the various music arcade games are still drawing a lot of money. It will just take a little while before we get another Rhytm Heaven or something, I guess, but there will definitely be one.

People will never get tired of movement and simulated dance. It's our nature to wiggle around while playing, making the player a part of the game, more than just the hands. A console will always come out to power another game that makes use of people moving.