Looking to build a PC.

Maxprime94

Registered
Nov 8, 2014
I am currently using a laptop that has some pretty good parts but the cooling system in it is no where near where I want it to be. I have been saving up for a while now and am really considering to try and build my own PC. I know the computer world lingo and would love if you could give me your recommended build and why. Any feedback is appreciated.

Couple bits of info:
I have 2000$ saved up.
It will be used solely for gaming
It needs to have a good cooling system

Thanks!

I don't know a lot about computers. However, I do know a little bit about what kind of computer you'll need for a gaming-only computer. Make sure to have a high quality graphics card and a dual core processor first and foremost. You can go for a quad-core but that's going to cost you a little extra and is for the most part unnecessary. Secondly, make sure your computer will have enough ram to run the kinds of games you want to play. The ram itself might be expensive if you want a lot of it, but it's definitely worth it if you don't want your computer to crash during game-play.

You can always check the benchmark for computers to compare your home-built one to one of those as you go. I think it goes to a scale of 500, with 250 to 300 being around the score for an average computer. I'm sorry but that's all I know to do. I hope it helps you just a little bit. Oh! Good luck by the way!

I am not advanced enough to be comfortable suggesting parts to you, or how to go about building it, but you can check out this site http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ and see if anyone can help you there, it's a huge PC site where a lot of people build PCs as a career/job. Also - in case you decide to buy a pre-made gaming computer Newegg is amazing at those, you can also buy your PC parts there and usually with great deals and warranty.

I can't give you the particular parts, because I don't know where you live and some may not be available for you. I will give you some tips though - don't cheap out on psu, case and the motherboard, because you might want to upgrade later and you wouldn't need to buy a new psu because it doesn't have enough juice. Buy a quality monitor too, go for 144hz, there's a big difference between a cheap 60hz and 144hz. Buy a mechanical keyboard, you'll play better with it.

If you are in the US, try looking at www.newegg.com . Thats were you can look for computer parts and shells to buy to make your own. Thats where I bought my PC parts from and made my own when I was in the US.

It isn't as hard as it looks. If you are willing to do some research and follow some guides it makes it alot easier. Toms hardware as mentioned earlier is a great place for these. Here is a guide from them specifically for building PCs: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-pc,2601.html
Here is an indepth wiki regarding the process: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Buyer's_Guide_For_Building_a_Computer

Ask yourself the following questions:
What am I planning to use it for?
How future proof do I want it to be (Some low to mid range may be sub par in 1-2 years time)?
What is my budget and does the above fit into it? (usually you have to make cuts)
Then look to research the parts you will need. Sites like newegg and amazon are great for these, or head to your local computer parts store and get a feel of things.

Feel free to ask any questions you have and good luck with your new PC!

This is the best resource I can give you.
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

It helped me pick out my current PC and it recommends parts that work well together. Once you have an idea for what you want to build, you can easily order everything online.

I do have a couple of pieces of advice for you:

- Don't skimp on the power supply. A lot of people make this mistake and end up paying the damage out of their pocket. The power supply is the heart of the system and you need a good strong heart to run a gaming PC. Always buy a good brand with at least 80 Plus Silver efficiency.
- Buy a video card that has an after-market cooler. Stock coolers aren't very efficient and their performance goes down the drain once dust gathers up. They're also very hard to clean.
- Consider investing in an SSD. Everything runs faster on an SSD.
- Don't forget about the monitor and peripherals. I always make the mistake of focusing on the main machine but there's also the rest of the computer. Again, you want parts that match and work well together.

Hope this helps :)

I must recommend you for being able to build your own PC. I must admit that I took a course in computer engineering so that I would discover what goes on behind a monitor. sadly,I have never used that training in real life. I wish you well in this project; allow me to say that I am impressed.

At $2000 you can pretty much get anything. Here's a badass build. Top of the line processor, best GTX 970 card with 2-way sli, and 850w PSU for overclocking. Let me know if you have any questions.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($321.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($87.75 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($359.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($359.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1993.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-08 01:16 EST-0500