Let the Games Begin

asylum_boy

Executive Editor
Registered
Aug 2, 2005
On My Throne
Well, why should they cut the price? Granted, 300 to 400 dollars is a lot, but it's still cheaper then 500 or 600 which most people might not be able to save up for or want to shell out for. Microsoft is more or less sititng pretty right now as they've got a cheaper price and a head start on Sony. Sony is really going to have scramble to catch up, I think; what's a better product worth if no one can afford to buy it?

Fight!!!

I have a couple of friends that own a 360 and me personally I am a PS lova till the death. I will not be purchasing the fresh straight from the factory PS3, because I recently purchased the modified slim version of the PS2. For one the price is a bit expensive. Being a full-time student and paying my way through college...coughing up 500 to 600 fat ones is nothing that I plan on doing anytime soon.

The only thing the PS3 can offer to the public and to the fans to boost profits are the graphics. Let alone with other functions such as downloading music to your system, web excess, the blue disc series and a few other functions, graphics is the main key.

I had a chance to view the 360's content and it looks damn good, but I think the PS3 will offer better visions...lets hope.

"Everything that is Green is Keen"

I'm not a deep Sony lover,but the system does hold the king of all games Devil May Cry. That and all the RPGs one person can handle,but for the fall season I predict Xbox360 knock-out in the second round becoming champ of this console war. With the Wii becoming the #1 contender.

Last edited:
Sony has either done one of two things (or both):

1) either they were too arrogant and thought the public would lap up anything they fed us and assumed that their slightly-better-than-360-in-some-ways console would completely dominate

and/or

2) they knew they had to have a next gen console to surpass the 360 and due to time constraints, cost of production, difficulties with the blu ray technology, and a market that isn't really hungry for the high definition tech that they want us to buy (really, how many gamers actually have huge high-def TV's?)

It is probably a little of all of them, but for whatever reason, they have both started and continued on the wrong foot since before the 360 launch.

Uhh...I think I'll remind you all that despite everything, Sony and the PS3 is the most-wanted next-gen console in both Europe and Asia. They're not doing much wrong.

possibly, lil' tater, possibly. But they could've really hurt both Microsoft and Nintendo if they had done things better (at least by what they've done to date). The least that will happen is that Sony will lose significant ground.

Sony is still in control, but I have to disagree...they've made a few mistakes. Now, they may not pay for those mistakes (at least maybe not much), but let's see...mistakes for the PS3:

1) Angered third-party developers with the dual price points that seem rather high as well...something Sony criticized Microsoft for as well.

2) Dropped plans for a gradual release of the product starting with Japan due to a miscalculation in parts manufacturing. Now Sony has to deal with the headache of a simulataneous global release that will cause massive shortages...something Microsoft was criticized for as well.

3) Has so far made a lot of promises about a free online service that will rival Xbox Live, but has shown nothing about it so far...this becomes more egregious since all of the promises that were made for a robust online service on the PS2.

4) Whether or not people desperately want a PS3, the pricing will preclude the vast majority of people from becoming early adopters while slowing the rate of installation by far. Positioning itself as a luxury device like an Alienware PC or a Lexus isn't a way to grow market share. A nice piece on the subject from Gamasutra:

"At 600 euro, the PS3 would be more than 35% of the monthly household income of a family in Valencia (ed. -- Spain's third largest city with a devoted following to Sony products). Combined with the 2000 euro for an HDTV that could take advantage of Blu-Ray and four games, the total cost could top 15% of a family yearly income. On a per person basis, that would be almost 40% of an adult Valencian's average income. Consumers in much of Europe (and North America as well) simply aren't ready for that type of expenditure and success for Sony will require that 1) they can keep the PlayStation 2 business alive and slow consumer adoption of new systems and 2) they can make the price more affordable."

As for the good ol' US of A, due to record high energy prices, a slowing housing market and stagnant growth of real wages, most of us here would have to do some hard thinking to justify a purchase that is about 90% of my own monthly rent here in the somewhat more expensive Northeast region of the country.