Kids and guns

I've got a degree in art and I must admit, almost all of my fellow art majors in college did some form of narcotics. One guy even made an elaborate bong as a project. I only got high off the markers, though.

Yeah, I'm not applying the statement that all artists do drugs, but the kids at my art table seem to make it a yearly contest to see who can make a bong for their clay project w/o getting caught.

We also had a substitute teacher in science who would sniff the markers right in front of the class and then make a really funny face afterwards.

People are strange. A lot like this :plankton: .

There was a kid in my one year of art class who sniffed the markers...

One day his nose started bleeding EVERYWHERE and he passed out. THen he died!

That's why you don't sniff the markers.

(warning, dramatization, may not have happened)

I was reassured while I was reading these posts because I didn't think that many people noticed the little kids that are extremely annoying on Halo and many other online games. It's sad that there are so many kids in the world that have nothing better to do, so they go on a game to make fun of other people when games are made to relax and have fun. The best attempt I've seen to stop this was on Socom 3 for PS2, they require credit card registration to get ranked or be in a clan. I would like to see more games do this in the future.

This is an interesting thread for me particularly since I've been debating the issue of the influence of gaming on kids for a number of years now (even got hate mail once, woohoo!). It's important to note that as time goes by every generation of adults considers the upcoming generation of youths to be worse than they were in aspects of social interaction. Are kids in fact more disrespectful as a general whole in America? I'd argue that there's really only anecdotal evidence that suggests this.

Something like Xbox Live and the Internet really magnifies what kind of potty mouths are out there. Prior to such advances, like when I grew up during those heady days in the 80's, you couldn't get such an international saturation of the lowest common denominator. You only knew what was around you, and what they deigned to show in the media as it existed back then. I've seen in this forum that there's always talk of young kids committing crimes of a really heinous nature, but violent crime figures have been consistently falling throughout the country (even among juveniles) while the coverage of violent crimes in the media has risen exponentially.

Now, we "old fogies" in our 20's and 30's talk about some kind of better time when kids weren't so impolite and racist. Bull. Where I grew up I got called all sorts of epithets (and their equivalent in Spanish) even in my Catholic school. In the 80's, an old woman with a purse was a target for a smash-n-grab, not a target of respect. Hell, I was once mugged at the age of 9 by two boys who couldn't have been more than three or four years older than me. My friends and I tried smoking when were about that age as well. We swore, we vandalized and we got into fights.

For the most part, I just think our perceptions have changed. The communications technology, the availability of cash among teens (spending power), the 24-hour media cycle...these all make bad conduct among young people more visible and constant. Kids are kids. They need discipline and good examples, but nowadays there's just more opportunities to go wrong and more cameras around when they do. And of course, bad parenting doesn't help.

Bingo, Scribe. Bad parenting is key. When parents make compromises, (anyone see the 60's, 70's and 80's?), it communicates down to their spawn. When I taught high school, I found that kids actually wanted boundaries. I was strict and let them know it. The first day of class I even told them that yes I am an S.O.B., and no I didn't care who there mommy was. After the first couple of weeks I had no real problems. Of course they're going to push the limits, but no boundaries leaves them feeling confused about right and wrong.

The virtual world has few or no boundaries. If parents don't show them how to behave online as well as offline, then no one will. Should we have to have things like what gdevine suggests? I don't like it, but if it's necessary...

I hate those little kids, I can't believe their parents let them play a mature game.

Wow i hate those little kids who have that high squeaky voice! Especially if they are talkin trash, swearing, making racist comments, harrasing kids, and whatever else those little suckers do on there. Im 14 but im not like that!!! Hey i would have given that lady a piece of my mind if she came on there.

Oh my god
I paly H2 on XBL everyday and I just HATE playing with little kids! 99% Of them are the most annoying people ever

Plus those f***ing KSI people, they think they are so good but they suck so bad, haha.

Bad Parenting?

The same problem runs rampanent in Mechassult 2, but now before the games starts the host does a squeaker test and makes sure there are no little kids in the room to scream around. But still these games are rated Teen and Mature for a reason and parents go and buy these games and use them as a babysitter.

Wow. I hate to be the one thats going to get flamed in here for my perspective but I'm knew and what the heck. First of all, I have had so many things to point out i cant even remember them all. The first one was someone saying, "dont these kids have anything better to do than play video games?'. Now, I'm no genius but I'm almost sure kids are the video game industries main target why? Because kids play video games! Its ludicrous to say they dont have lives for playing them when you 20 to middle aged people are playing video, and I emphasize, "games". I will agree how ever that it is ridiculous how some kids behave in public. Completely ridiculous, But then again in the 60's and 70's drugs were overflowing in the community to where one could smoke weed in public! All generations had there "styles" of clothing that were thought of at the time to be sleezy. And truth be told, yes the youth is on a downslode and "has" been since o say the great depression. The 80's werent that great, you werent all behaved litle wipped kids. O, and another thing, do not even judge parents in general due to a few kids online. Have any of you had kids? And if you have please stop waisting your time coming on this site to complain about them. Furthermore, you do not realize how stupid it is to say only children behave this way. My god I try to go into a game and we get these losers that think there tough shit because there level is 35. O no not a 35. They will not shutup. "O u kids are nubz, eat my balls". over and over. And at the end of the game I say goodgame and they go off and start calling me a little fucking kid and how i should grow some balls. You people arent showing that great of an example, and you say kids shouldnt be playing M, well geuss what, you shouldnt be playing a shooter war game if your trying to "relax". Im sad to see Im the only kid in here that wont listen to this nonsense.

Yours truly forever,
Skanks

Darth_Jonas said:
The cigarette thing is rampant around here (Kentucky). I've seen middle school kids with a marlboro in hand. My brother-in-law is a youth minister. He has seen some of the worst kids I've ever heard about. He jokingly came up with a course he wanted to offer the church he was at: "Permissive Parenting, How to give your kid everything they want." Sometimes the best people make the worst parents because they don't want to be "mean" to their kids. I don't advocate beating a kid, but time out doesn't work with most kids. Break out the belt! My own grandmother used to make us get a hickory switch. For those of you who don't know, that is a thin, flexible branch (about 1/4" at the base and around 12-18" long). It is used on the bare buttocks and legs. She could move it at around 1000 beats a second. No bruises, cuts, or permanent damage. But I guarantee you that I didn't put my cousin in the dryer again![/QUOTE

Ok that is some funny stuff i got in trouble for the same thing we were at the londry mat and i talker my littl bro into getting into the drier is was so funny by the time we got the drier to stop he was brused from head to toe funny now 22 years later.Thanks for the good laugh!

Oh man, this just doesn't happen on halo 2, believe me. This happens on every onine game out there.

I tend to avoid playing in public games these days due to it. If I play, I play with my friends, people who I know won't act in such a manner.

Xbox Live has a wonderful mute function. If a person is out of control(which a good amount have no self-control), mute and be done with it.

I would like to anounce I played against a clan called boston teabag party yesterday with my clan. It was composed of around 25-30 year old men. When we got in the game whenever they killed us theyd say, "wheres the fiesta at"and teabag us. We played them again and one player on there team the entire time kept shouting, "boobie poopy" over and over and over until I was forced to mute him. When I said you guys should mature a little after he game they responded by telling me, "thats what your mom said." Wow, and you people can honestly say that its kids who screw this game up?