Is this thing worth the $$

Andre3k

Registered
Jun 23, 2005
Longview, WA
I am thinking about getting a PSP but I don't know if its actually worth my money. So, if someone could say hey, this thing sucks, or someone could say, "Hey this is awesome" I don't care. Lemme know. :f:

It depends on what you want it for.

Do you want to play the games it has? Then sure, go for it.

Do you mind that it has a ludicrously short battery life? If not, feel free.

Do you have the spare cash to spend $20 on movie you may already have just to watch them on a tiny screen, and to spend $100 on a memory stick that will give you the same amount of music storage that a $39.99 MP3 player will? Then it's for you!

It's all about your personal needs.

Wow, I like the way you put things. Really I do. Ummm... you know you point out very important things. I think umm "nay" on this one.

Wait a year, better games, new batteries and lower price. But check out the DS too. It has some good stuff on it coming out.

PSP owns. Period. Another Period. .

The games, so far, have been great. Multiplayer for most of them are extremely fun. Graphics for all of the games are well done.

If you ask me, the PSP is cheap for what it does. Try finding something that plays music/games/movies for the price of $250. Mp3 players alone cost somewhere from $100-$300...

As for the battery life...who would play a handheld for 5:00 straight hours? I mean...when I buy a handheld, I usally turn it on and play for 15 minutes, then play again an hour later.

PSP is a must own...

I have played my GBA for 5 hours straight....Zelda, Tactics Ogre and FFTA all of which have been subject to it. BUT the DS is by far a better discount handheld. ATM, it's $150 and you get Mario 64 for free. Better battery, and with a slew of excellent games coming out around Xmas (which is far away, i know) like Castlevania DS, Sonic DS, Xenosaga, Baten Kaitos, Metroid Prime, a side-scrolling Metroid, Animal Crossing, FF3, FFCC and so on, I think it beats out the PSP's library of upcoming games.

With a line up of games like Hot Shots, Socom, Battlefield 2, Grand Theft Auto, GTA, and Final Fantasy 7, I don't see how you could go wrong with buying a PSP.

And on top of that, all the new movies coming out on UMD. And like I said before, MAME baby!!!!!

If MAME get's cracked into the system, the PSP will own everything. Imagine being able to play virtually every arcade game you played growing up on this little portable...........for FREE!!!

It's about to happen!

Reply to: KingKRool:
If you ask me, the PSP is cheap for what it does. Try finding something that plays music/games/movies for the price of $250. Mp3 players alone cost somewhere from $100-$300...

I'm not sold on the MP3 player ability. You have to buy a memory stick to store the MP3's, and for the price of a memory stick you can just buy an equivalent MP3 player... 128MB MP3 players are under $30 now, and a 128MB memory card costs $40. So you're adding the cost of a memory card to the cost of the unit itself... doesn't sound like a deal.

Plus buying movies in a proprietary format... ugh, who wants to buy twice the movies they want to see?

Reply to: AmericanRitual:
If MAME get's cracked into the system, the PSP will own everything.

Is MAME going in legally? Will you have to download games to a memory stick? If so, I'm not really impressed. Those sticks are expensive enough...it'd be kinda tough to have to pay for extra...downloading King of Fighters on it would be nice though...

It is just as legal as the PC version of MAME. Meaning you're not supposed to have them unless you own the original, but that's not exactly stopping 95% of the community from doing it anyway.

You will need to have a descent memory card for sure, but it is worth it if you consider the number of games readlily available out there.

Mario, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Joust, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sonic, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, X-Men, etc., etc., etc.

Why not just buy the Atari or Midway classics game? That WON'T take up an entire memory stick, and is actually legal.

Oh, and that whole "legal if you own it" thing isn't actually real. All ROMs, MAME not withstanding, are illegal.

Andre3k, you never mentioned whether you have other portables, or are even considering them as an option.

If you don't have anything from the last 5 years, then a GBA SP would be the best bet. You get a wide selection of games from that platform alone plus the back catalogue of the previous iterations, and it's much more cost-friendly compared to the DS.

I'd be surprised if more than half of those upcoming DS games listed will make it out this year, but overall the DS still has a impressive lineup for the rest of the year, and dare I say a better one that the PSP. Of course, the potential "killer apps" for the DS like Metroid Prime or Animal Crossing won't be coming out until fall at the earliest, so unless the current lineup strikes your fancy then you might as well put it off until the software you're interested in finally arrives.

Game library probably isn't the best reason to get a PSP right now. Sports and racing seems to be the only significantly represented genres so far, and the bigger releases like Grand Theft Auto are at least a few months away. I'm not sure when the first game like ICO or Gran Turismo 3 will come out that shows off the power of the system, so it may be a while before we see much of the PSP's gaming potential.

One thing that PSP has over the DS right now is that some games are already playable online. If the PSP's overall internet technology is similar to how it is in Gretzky NHL, though, it's somewhat mitigated by the fact that it's implemented pretty awfully in the PSP so far. It appears that Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are gonna be the first online wireless games for the DS, so if Nintendo can get the technology right by then, kudos.

Legalities aside, the PSP is turning out to be nicely hackable. If emulation is your thing, there's already an impressive amoutn of material out there (unless you already updated your firmware.)

A PSP is a waste of money if you're thinking about it in terms of MP3s. For the same price as a PSP and a 1GB card, you buy at least a 40GB iPod. I doubt this will be a toy for serious music fans.

I would have rated video as the least of my priorities several months ago, but now that I've seen it in action, I think I'll be putting a comparable amount of time into that as with gaming. The Spider-Man 2 pack-in sold me on the UMD video quality, but I don't like the prices - too used to paying cheap prices for DVDs. Still, right now in my life I'm finding that I have more time to use portables than watch DVDs at home so if I find some good deals on film UMDs I'll probably stock up. Playing video off a memory stick intrigues me even more. I don't have a 1GB stick yet to do some serious tests, but from the clips I've converted and copied over so far, even some of the lower encoding levels are more than adequate for my liking. I probably need about another month or two to see if I'd give this feature a full endorsement, but my initial impressions are even better than I thought they'd be.

So in summary, MP3 nay, video yay, and games ehh. If you do get one, there's probably at least a couple of games you'll be interested in, but you can easily wait on buying the system unless you've already made up your mind. Exciting piece of technology for sure, but we'll see how Sony builds on it.

I don't know. I think I will wait until I have like money to blow or wait until its a little bit cheaper. As of now, nah it doesn't seem to appealing to me.

BCampbell said:
I'm not sold on the MP3 player ability. You have to buy a memory stick to store the MP3's, and for the price of a memory stick you can just buy an equivalent MP3 player... 128MB MP3 players are under $30 now, and a 128MB memory card costs $40. So you're adding the cost of a memory card to the cost of the unit itself... doesn't sound like a deal.

Plus buying movies in a proprietary format... ugh, who wants to buy twice the movies they want to see?

The card isn't made to just hold music, which is why it costs higher than an MP3 player.

As for the movies...they suck, all of them. Advent Children is probably the only UMD that will have any special features,this year.

Last edited: