Is Gamefly Worth It? - It Depends On What Type of Gamer You Are.

Xenokitten

Registered
May 8, 2015
PA, USA
geekysweetie.com
I just recently quit my Gamefly subscription. I've started and stopped 3 times now. The price is not much per month, but what makes it not as worthwhile for me is that I do not play every day, and that I don't play the same game(s) every day. I had the 2 games out at once subscription, to kinda mix it up a bit. -- But the problem for me is that I greatly prefer very long games with high replay value, so I can't just rent a game, keep it for 2 or 3 nights, ship it back, get the next one, etc.

I have clocked 60-80 hours on most of my games, and some games even reached over 100 hours. As mentioned above I don't have time to play every day. Let's say I play 3 nights a week for 4 hours a night, that's 12 hours a week...

For me to complete a game it will take an average of 5 to 7 weeks based on the statistics above.

That means I'm only swapping out new games, once a month at best, and sometimes, keeping the same games from month to month.

This diminishes the return on investment of gamefly for me.

Your mileage may vary.

For example, many games have far less play time, such as adventure games, action games, fighting games, sports games, and racing games.

My opinion is Gamefly is GREAT for those types of games. It gives you access to a HUGE library of games not available via redbox and similar "terminal systems" and allows you to save money compared to purchasing the games out right. And since they have no replay value, you will want to trade them and swap them out fairly quickly anyways. Gamefly also has huge blowout sales for members only and you rack up gamefly bucks which can be used to purchase and keep any titles you want to own.

It's a great system to "preview" games on before making a buying decision, but ultimately, if you're looking to complete a lengthy game with multiple endings, and high replay value, don't expect Gamefly to allow you to do this for any cheaper than purchasing the games outright.