Is anyone playing The Forest pre-alpha from Steam?

Azrile

Registered
Dec 7, 2014
I am a bit conflicted. I hate buying pre-alpha games and then being nothing more than a beta tester for 18 months, which ruins the game IMHO because you see it coming in pieces. This is one title that I am really anxious for, but not going to buy it until it is finished. But would love someone else´s opinion of the game that is in the pre-alpha now

http://survivetheforest.com/

We did a stream of it awhile ago:

http://www.mygamer.com/mygamer-streaming-cast-awesome-blast-forest/

It feels more complete than most games. There are giant chunks that aren't there and it will straight up tell you "this is not in the beta", but I think it is fun in a bunch of different ways. It is one of the few games that I have played that builds tension at all. When you see even one of the insane people on the island it gets kind of freaky because there might be more and they may randomly decide to just run at the fire instead of keeping away from it.

Thanks. Yeah, I have been following the game pretty closely, and I agree with you, that if you are going to sell a pre-alpha version of your game, at least they are very honest about what is finished and what is not. I´ve bought enough games that were probably in alpha, but the developers pretended it was ready for live.

Good to hear about the tension part, that is what I was looking for.. if it feels like a realistic situation, or if you just deal with waves of endless bad-AI.

I like that there is a count down timer when you log in on when the next build will be out. I don't normally follow that kind of stuff closely but it gives me an idea of what is going on.

So far it seems like a survival game with plenty of potential, although it is rapidly becoming a genre with many competitors (e.g. DayZ). I wouldn't buy it until it is released as a finished product out of Early Access.

Haven't heard about this game until recently. I'm glad to see they're trying to buck the trend of sleazy early-release games by having greater transparency. I'll definitely keep an eye out when it is released!

So far it seems like a survival game with plenty of potential, although it is rapidly becoming a genre with many competitors (e.g. DayZ). I wouldn't buy it until it is released as a finished product out of Early Access.

I won't argue with you, in all honesty. I think it does enough different to warrant its place in the field, but I don't know if it fully backed yet.

Haven't heard about this game until recently. I'm glad to see they're trying to buck the trend of sleazy early-release games by having greater transparency. I'll definitely keep an eye out when it is released!

I think how open they are with their community with where they are with the game is the one saving grace of the game. I know making games isn't easy, but when you think about what happened with Towns it is hard to want to throw money at any of them.